Daleham Mews, NW3

Road in/near Belsize Park, existing between the 1860s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
34.203.213.116 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Belsize Park · NW3 · Contributed by The Underground Map
August
12
2015


Daleham Mews is a mews in Belsize Park.

Daleham Mews is a particularly charming and consistent street of mews houses and garages retaining many
original features. It is notable for the slightly projecting square bays that predominate on the north side of the street.

The long winding mews road changes alignment as it rises up the hill giving views of the roofscape and the frontages of the terraces stepping up the hill.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



ADD A STORY TO DALEHAM MEWS
VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Belsize Park

The Manor of Belsize dates back to 1317, with the name is derived from French bel assis meaning 'well situated'.

Belsize Manor was built by Daniel O'Neill for his wife, the Countess of Chesterfield, in the 17th century. Urbanisation took place largely between 1852 and 1878, by which time it extended to Haverstock Hill. After World War I, the construction of blocks of flats began, and now a great many of the larger houses are also converted into flats.

Belsize Park underground station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway as an intermediate station on its line from Charing Cross to Hampstead. It is served by three lifts and there are 219 steps. The station was designed by Leslie Green and has his familiar facade of ox-blood faience with four round arched windows. It remained largely untouched until the late 1980s when the lifts were replaced and a new ticketing system installed.

It was during the 1930s that Belsize Park contributed most to the artistic and intellectual life of Hampstead. Artists associated with the Mall studios included Dame Barbara Hepworth from 1927 to 1939, her first husband John Skeaping and second Ben Nicholson from 1931 to 1939, and Henry Moore, who lived at no. 11A Parkhill Road from 1929 to 1940. They were members of Unit One, a group of artists and architects founded in 1933 by Paul Nash (1889-1946), who lived at no. 3 Eldon Grove from 1936 to 1939. Sir Herbert Read, the poet and art critic, who lived in 1934-5 at the Mall studios, which he described as a 'nest of gentle artists', published the group's manifesto, a theory of modern style.

Another centre was no. 37 Belsize Park Gardens, meeting place of MARS, an architectural group, and home of Jack Pritchard, who founded Isokon, a firm making modern furniture designed by people like Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer, refugees who brought a European dimension to the abstract design movement in the arts. Others included Piet Mondrian, the Dutch painter, who stayed with the Pritchards before moving to no. 60 Parkhill Road (1938-41). Pritchard also commissioned Wells Coates in 1934 to build the Isokon or Lawn Road flats, partly to house artistic refugees, on a site which he owned. Built in concrete in a functional style, the flats came to be recognized as 'a milestone in the introduction of the modern idiom into London'.

In World War II, a large underground air-raid shelter was built here and its entrance can still be seen near the tube station at Downside Crescent. The area on Haverstock Hill north of Belsize Park underground station up to Hampstead Town Hall and including part of a primary school near the Royal Free Hospital was heavily bombed.

Belsize Park these days is a lively area with many restaurants, pubs and cafés along Haverstock Hill and also England's Lane.

Glossary: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9, edited by C R Elrington.


OTHER LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
Adamson Road · Akenside Road · Anna Freud Centre · Antrim Grove · Antrim Mansions · Antrim Road · Aspern Grove · Baynes Mews · Belsize Avenue · Belsize Court Garages · Belsize Court · Belsize Crescent · Belsize Cresent · Belsize Grove · Belsize Lane · Belsize Mews · Belsize Park · Belsize Park Gardens · Belsize Park Mews · Belsize Park · Belsize Place · Belsize Square · Belsize Terrace · Briary Close · Brocas Close · Buckland Crescent · Central Avenue · Central School of Speech and Drama · Central School of Speech and Drama · Chalcot Gardens · College Crescent · College Cresent · Connaught Mews · Crossfield Road · Daleham Gardens · Devonshire House Preparatory School · Devonshire House Preparatory School · Downside Crescent · Dunboyne Road · Elizabeth Mews · England’s Lane · Englands Lane · Eton Avenue · Eton College Road · Eton Court · Eton Garages · Eton Hall · Eton Rise · Eton Road · Eton Villas · Fairfax Mansions · Fairfax Road · Fellows Road · Fine Arts College · Fine Arts College · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Fitzjohn’s Primary School · Fitzjohn's Avenue · Fitzjohns Avenue · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Fitzjohn’s Primary School · Fountain Mews · Freud Museum · Garnett Road · Glenilla Road · Glenloch Road · Glenmore Road · Gloucester House · Gospel Oak · Gospel Oak Primary School · Hall School · Hampstead Green · Hampstead Hill School · Harben Parade · Haverstock Hill · Hereward House School · Hillfield Court · Hillfield Court · Hillfield Mansions · Holy Trinity CofE Primary School · Hornby Close · Howitt Close · Howitt Close · Howitt Road · Huson Close · Isokon Building · King?s College Road · Kingsford Street · Lambolle Place · Lambolle Road · Lancaster Drive · Lancaster Grove · Lancaster Stables · Lawn Road · Lowlands · Lyndhurst Gardens · Lyndhurst House Preparatory School · Lyndhurst Road · Lyndhurst Terrace · Maitland Park Road · Maitland Park Villas · Mansfield Road · Mansfield Road · Maresfield Gardens · Maria Montessori School · Martys Yard · McCrone Mews · Metropolitan Borough of Hampstead · Midland Crescent · New College Parade · Noel House · North Bridge Nursery School · Northways Parade · Nutley Terrace · Ormonde Court · Ornan Road · Park Hill Road · Parkhill Road · Parkhill Walk · Pax Lodge · Perceval Avenue · Primrose Gardens · Princess Mews · Provost Road · Quickswood · Rosary Roman Catholic Primary School · Rosslyn Hill · Rosslyn House · Sarum Hall School · Shepherd’s Well · South Hampstead High School · South Hampstead High School · St Anthony’s Preparatory School · St Christopher’s School · St Mary’s School · St Stephen’s Church · St. Mary’s Town and Country School · Stanbury Court · Steele?s Mews South · Steele?s Road · Strathray Gardens · Sumpter Close · Tasker Road · The Gables · The Hall School · The Village School · Thurlow Road · Tobin Close · Trevor-Roberts School · Trinity Walk · Tudor Close · UCS Pre-Prep · Upper Park Road · Wac Arts College · Wandsworth Place · Waterhouse Close · Wedderburn Road · Wood Field · Woodland Walk · Woodland Walk ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Hampstead
Facebook Page
Belsize Park
Facebook Page
Finchley Road
Facebook Page
Swiss Cottage
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.