Derry Street, W8

Road in/near High Street Kensington, existing between 1735 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
34.237.51.159 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · High Street Kensington · W8 ·
MARCH
11
2014

Derry Street formerly known as King Street and laid out in the mid-1730s.


Until the 1690s Kensington High Street was a small collection of buildings on the main road to London, which quickly gave away to fields and market gardens to the south.

The second half of the eighteenth century saw the completion of continuous building along the High Street frontage between Colby House and King Street (Derry Street) and the growth of dense, grubby residential courts behind.

Hall’s Court was built around 1707 on the future site of the Barkers Building and in the 1770s this became Market Court and Gardeners Buildings and was joined by Duckmanton’s Yard.

Other notable buildings in the history of this part of Kensington were the Kensington Candle Manufactory, which was established on the site of Derry and Toms around 1766; Cobett’s Nursery on the site of the current High Street Kensington Station during the 1820s.

King (King’s) Street connected Kensington Square with the High Street as it does to this day. Being short it has become dominated by the two department store on each Kensington High Street corner (Barkers; Derry and Tom’s)

A fire station once stood on the corner of the former Ball Street and Derry Street.


Main source: Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea
Further citations and sources


xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

High Street Kensington

High Street Kensington is a London Underground station at Kensington High Street.

Kensington High Street is a road (forming part of the A315) in Kensington, west London.

Its western extremity is the eastern end of Hammersmith Road near Kensington (Olympia) station. From here, the road heads east-north-east, past the Commonwealth Institute and High Street Kensington tube station. It forms a junction which Kensington Church Street, which runs to the north, and then continues east to the south-west corner of Kensington Gardens, close by Kensington Palace. Eastward the road becomes Kensington Road.

The stretch between the Commonwealth Institute and Kensington Gardens is a popular shopping area, with chainstores and upmarket shops serving a wealthy catchment area. In 2005 House of Fraser announced that it is closing the 135 year old Barkers department store in the street, meaning that it will have no department stores left after the earlier closures of Pontings and Derry & Toms. The 75,000 square foot premises will be taken over by Whole Foods Market, the American owner of organic supermarket chain Fresh & Wild to become the UK’s first organic superstore.

High Street Kensington station, on the District Line, opened in 1868.
Print-friendly version of this page