Devonshire Hill Lane, N17

Road in/near Tottenham, existing between the 1920s and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.80.32.33 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Tottenham · N17 · Contributed by The Underground Map
MARCH
2
2018


Devonshire Hill Lane was laid out along the line of a former farm track.

Much of the modern road pattern of Tottenham had been established by 1619. High Road ran northward in the east and Green Lanes, dividing at the later junction of Wood Green High Road and Bounds Green Road, in the west; between them routes corresponding to the later White Hart and Lordship lanes and West Green and St. Ann’s roads crossed the middle of the parish.

The western part of White Hart Lane was then called Apeland Street as far as the parsonage house, whence a lane later marked by the modern Devonshire Hill Lane led to the Edmonton border at Clay Hill.

Up to the 1920s, the area north of White Hart Lane from the site of Rectory Farm was a landscape of fields with few houses. Devonshire Hill Lane wound its narrow, tree-lined way northwards for half a mile from White Hart Lane, terminating at Devonshire Hill Farm.

After WW1, Local Authorities, under Government direction and subsidy, embarked on a programme of Public Housing development. In 1919, the Tottenham Council Engineer inspected the sites available for development and reported on the area around White Hart Lane.

The report was accepted and the proposed housing development, designated Housing Scheme No. 1, sanctioned by the Government. Negotiations were entered and some 60 acres at a total cost of £23,000 were purchased from the various owners of the land. A second, smaller, development was instigated at Coombes Croft.

Representatives of Tottenham Council attended an International Housing Conference held in London in 1920 at which resolutions were passed recommending minimum standards for Public Housing. Delegates attended from 30 countries, including, surprisingly, Greenland, India, Burma and the Gold Coast! Visits also were made to inspect the types of housing built by other Local Authorities. Fortunately for the future residents of the proposed Tottenham Estate, the design for a concrete house with a metal staircase was rejected, as was an experimental house constructed with 18" walls of "rammed earth". Attempts to emulate the latter method of construction using the clay soil of North London would have been interesting.

Tenders for the construction of 400 houses (excluding materials), and, separately, for the roads and sewers, were invited. Both contracts were awarded to the Metropolitan Tunnel and Public Works Co. Ltd. The cost of each house, labour and materials, was estimated at £955 and £857 dependant upon the design.

Building work commenced in 1920. At the same time, the wider area around White Hart Lane was being extensively developed; the London County Council estate to the south was being extended; and, Middlesex County Council were responsible for supervising the construction of the Great Cambridge Arterial Road (A 10), which bisected Devonshire Hill Lane.

The lay-out of the estate, utilising about half of the purchased land, included Cavell Road, Jellicoe Road, Fryatt Road, Laburnum Avenue, Acacia Avenue, Weir Hall Avenue, Oak Avenue and Barkham Road. All of these roads were to the east of the new Cambridge Road. Tottenham Councillors paid close attention to the details of the design and fittings of the houses being built on their estate. The height of ceilings was increased, gas mantels, kitchen stoves and wardrobes were inspected for approval and house number plates selected.

After the building works started, because of a worsening of the economic situation, the Government instructed the Council to reduce the number of houses to be built from 400 to 296. This reduction resulted in disputes with the Contractors for the early termination of their contract and, also, the Architects in respect of their fees. Both disputes were resolved by negotiation and without resort to litigation.

In the event, Government approval was obtained subsequently to erect the remaining 104 houses (Housing Scheme No.2) and, later, for further housing (Housing Scheme Nos. 3 and 4) on the remainder of the land, to the west of the new Arterial Road, that had been acquired for development. Once again, close attention was paid to the lay-out and many of the houses were set around grassed squares.

By the end of the decade, the fields around White Hart Lane and Devonshire Hill Lane had disappeared beneath 762 houses, 25 flats, 25 shops, 8 garages, Public Library, Primary School and the Great Cambridge Road.

Source: British History Online



ADD A STORY TO DEVONSHIRE HILL LANE
VIEW THE TOTTENHAM AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE TOTTENHAM AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE TOTTENHAM AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE TOTTENHAM AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE TOTTENHAM AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Tottenham





OTHER LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
Acacia Avenue · Academia Way · All Hallows Road · Assunnah Primary School · Awlfield Avenue · Awlfield Road · Balliol Road · Barkham Road · Bedwell Road · Bennington Road · Birkbeck Road · Broadwater's Farm (1892) · Brook House Primary School · Bruce Castle · Bruce Castle Park · Bruce Castle Road · Butterfield Close · Cambridge Gardens · Canada Avenue · Castleford Close · Cavell Road · Cedar Road · Cemetery Road · Chapel Place · College Road · Commercial Road · Compton Crescent · Courtman Road · Croxford Gardens · Cumberton Road · Dalbys Crescent · Daubeney Gardens · Daubeney Road · De Quincey Road · Devonia Gardens · Devonshire Gardens · Devonshire Hill Farm · Deyncour Road · Dorothy Smith Lane · Durban Road · Excelsior College · Fenton Road · Flexmere Road · Gascoigne Close · Gedeney Road · Gretton Road · Hampden Lane · Haringey Borough Football Club · Headcorn Road · Hebden Terrace · James Place · Kenmare Drive · Kevelioc Road · Lamford Close · Lancasterian Primary School · Larkspur Close · Lido Square · Marshall Road · MAYFAIR GARDENS · Morteyne Road · Moselle Street · Newton Way · Nursery Street · Peabody Cottages · Pembury Drive · Penniston Close · Peregrine Road · Princes Street · Prospect Place · Risley Avenue Primary School · Rivulet Road · Roseland Close · Rowland Hill Avenue · Rowland Hill Nursery School · Shobden Road · Spigurnell Road · Spottons Grove · St Francis de Sales RC Infant School · Steeplestone Close · Stockton Gardens · Stockton Road · Tasmania Terrace · Teynton Terrace · The Crossway · The Devonshire Hill Nursery & Primary School · The Green · Tower Gardens · Trafalgar Avenue · Walden Road · Waltheof Avenue · Warkworth Road · Whitbread Close ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.