Dorset Square, NW1

Road in/near Marylebone, existing between 1819 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.234.208.66 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Marylebone · NW1 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Dorset Square was built on the former site of Lord’s Cricket Ground.


Dorset Square, architecturally still intact, was planned by the Portman Estate between 1815 and 1820. The square was laid out on the site of Thomas Lord’s first cricket ground, which had been established in 1787.

George Grossmith, the co-author of ’The Diary of a Nobody’ lived in the square as did ’Dodie Smith’, author of 101 Dalmatians. Both locations are marked by blue plaques.

Sir Laurence Gomme, pioneer of the Blue Plaque scheme, lived at 24 Dorset Square from 1895 to 1909 and the 800th blue plaque marks his home.


Main source: Dorset Square NW1
Further citations and sources


xxx



 

Marylebone

Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.

Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.

Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.

Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.

Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.

Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.

The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.
Print-friendly version of this page