Durand Gardens, SW9

Road in/near Oval, existing between the 1840s and now

MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Oval · SW9 ·

Durand Gardens is a street of terraces, semi-detached and detached houses.

The town houses of Durand Gardens were built from 1840 to the 1890s.

Originally called The Grove, it was renamed Durand Gardens in 1893 after Sir Mortimer Durand who established the dividing line between India and Afghanistan that year.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence




Oval tube station in Kennington is named after The Oval Cricket Ground, which it serves.

The station opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the City & South London Railway. It opened as Kennington Oval, and was designed by Thomas Phillips Figgis with elements of early Arts and Crafts and neo-classical detailing. The structure was made distinctive by a lead-covered dome with cupola lantern and weathervane which housed some of the lift equipment; the main part of the building was of red brick. The station building was rebuilt in the early 1920s when the line was modernised and was refurbished during late 2007/early 2008 at street level with a modern tiling scheme inside and out, giving the station a more modern look. Reflecting its proximity to the cricket ground, the internal decorative tiling features large images of cricketers in various stances.
Print-friendly version of this page