Upney

Underground station, existing between 1932 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.234.245.125 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Underground station · Upney · IG11 ·
November
22
2017

Upney - once a small village - is an area east of Barking which has its own tube station.


Upney means ’higher island’ - the island being the area between two branches of Mayes Brook which passes

Most of Upney’s housing was built between the wars as part of the council’s slum clearance programme. Upney station opened in 1932. The dominant feature of the locality is Barking (originally Upney) hospital. Shortly before the First World War local people raised the money to found the hospital, and new blocks were added in the 1930s and 1960s.

Most of the hospital site was sold for residential development in 1999.

Upney station was opened in 1932 when the electrified District line was extended to Upminster from Barking. The station was constructed and initially operated by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway with services provided by the District line from the outset.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

User unknown/public domain

THE STREETS OF UPNEY
Lambourne Gardens, IG11 Lambourne Gardens is a road in the IG11 postcode area



 

Upney

Upney - once a small village - is an area east of Barking which has its own tube station.

Upney means ’higher island’ - the island being the area between two branches of Mayes Brook which passes

Most of Upney’s housing was built between the wars as part of the council’s slum clearance programme. Upney station opened in 1932. The dominant feature of the locality is Barking (originally Upney) hospital. Shortly before the First World War local people raised the money to found the hospital, and new blocks were added in the 1930s and 1960s.

Most of the hospital site was sold for residential development in 1999.

Upney station was opened in 1932 when the electrified District line was extended to Upminster from Barking. The station was constructed and initially operated by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway with services provided by the District line from the outset.
Print-friendly version of this page