Showing every underground station so far featured

(N.B. So as not to break the map, this will only show the first 5000).

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.231.229.89 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Underground station · Upney · IG11 ·
November
22
2017

Upney - once a small village - is an area east of Barking which has its own tube station.


Upney means ’higher island’ - the island being the area between two branches of Mayes Brook which passes

Most of Upney’s housing was built between the wars as part of the council’s slum clearance programme. Upney station opened in 1932. The dominant feature of the locality is Barking (originally Upney) hospital. Shortly before the First World War local people raised the money to found the hospital, and new blocks were added in the 1930s and 1960s.

Most of the hospital site was sold for residential development in 1999.

Upney station was opened in 1932 when the electrified District line was extended to Upminster from Barking. The station was constructed and initially operated by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway with services provided by the District line from the outset.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

User unknown/public domain

THE STREETS OF UPNEY
Lambourne Gardens, IG11 Lambourne Gardens is a road in the IG11 postcode area



Chris
Chris   
Added: 24 Feb 2018 08:00 GMT   
IP: 86.165.40.59
2:1:171
Post by Chris: Bell Water Gate, SE18

In the late â??50â??s and early 60â??s we went as children down the cut into the Thames.
Not knowing or understanding better webused to throw stones at floating johnies!
A piece of history like the paddle steamer ferries and looking in on the great mechanical machinery and returning shouting down the underground tunnel.PGk8l

Dawn Greene
Dawn Greene    
Added: 24 Aug 2017 13:08 GMT   
IP: 90.192.14.114
2:2:171
My dads family lived here in 1911 maybe before still checking that out the name was Emily Gladding lived at 22 Emily Street then she married George Cassilllo y

VIEW THE UPNEY AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE UPNEY AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE UPNEY AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE UPNEY AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE UPNEY AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Upney

Upney - once a small village - is an area east of Barking which has its own tube station.

Upney means ’higher island’ - the island being the area between two branches of Mayes Brook which passes

Most of Upney’s housing was built between the wars as part of the council’s slum clearance programme. Upney station opened in 1932. The dominant feature of the locality is Barking (originally Upney) hospital. Shortly before the First World War local people raised the money to found the hospital, and new blocks were added in the 1930s and 1960s.

Most of the hospital site was sold for residential development in 1999.

Upney station was opened in 1932 when the electrified District line was extended to Upminster from Barking. The station was constructed and initially operated by the London, Midland and Scottish Railway with services provided by the District line from the outset.
Print-friendly version of this page