East End Road, linking East End and the southern section of the Great North Road with Church End, was the main east-west road in Finchley.
Although apparently not so named until the late 19th century, it probably dated from the 14th-century growth of East End. Hunts Green, mid-way along the road, was mentioned in 1437 and Piryton Lane, named in 1423 and 1485, may have been the western section of the road near Church End.
, named in 1719, ran from Ballards Lane to Bulls Lane. The eastern section was called Broad Lane in 1814. A short lane led from Bibbesworth manor-house to the church by 1657 and was called The Avenue by 1897. Several roads linked Long Lane
with East End Road. The most westerly was Squires, formerly Place, Lane, which ran north from Bibbesworth manor-house and continued across Long Lane
to the common and eventually to the Great North Road. Its northern section, Short Lane in 1657 and c. 1867, was probably the Heybourne Lane mentioned in the 1380s. Green Lane
- as known as Philips Lane joined the central portion of East End Road to Long Lane
. Bulls Lane, which after the building of Holy Trinity church in 1846 was called Church Lane
, ran from the eastern section of East End Road across Long Lane
to the common and the Great North Road.