East End Road, N3

Road in/near Finchley Central, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.234.214.179 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Finchley Central · N3 ·
July
10
2015

East End Road was originally the route from the hamlet of Church End Finchley to the old Great North Road when it ran through Muswell Hill.


Although apparently not so named until the late 19th century, it probably dated from the 14th-century growth of East End.

The road has had various names such as Manor Lane (19th century) and Finchley Road (18th century). In the medieval period a triangle of waste, called Hunts Green (1437), which stretched from Stanley Road to the Junction of Church Lane, was the location of the first hamlet of East End Finchley (1365).


Main source: East End Road (Finchley N2) - barnet.gov.uk
Further citations and sources


xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Finchley Central

Finchley Central is a tube station which covers the central part of Finchley - an area formerly called Church End.

Finchley formed an ancient parish in the county of Middlesex, becoming a municipal borough in 1933, and has been part of Greater London since 1965.

The main road runs on a north-south axis, and is called Regents Park Road from the North Circular Road until it reaches the station, where the name changes to Ballards Lane. Its heart is the ancient district around the St Mary's Church, where the imposing tower of Pardes House (formally Christ's College Finchley), is a landmark. There is a public library, Church End Library and Finchley police station. Along Ballards Lane, close to the station, is a retail district with some Victorian and Edwardian shoping parade as well as modern shops including Tesco.

To the southeast, along East End Road are two institutions of note Avenue House home to the Finchley Society, and a Jewish cultural centre the Sternberg Centre. South, along Regents Park Road is College Farm the last farm in Finchley, and a statue, referred to locally as 'The Naked Lady', but more properly called La Delivrance. Victoria Park is the home of Finchley Carnival, a large fun fair held every year in July, dating back to 1905.

Finchley Central station opened on 22 August 1867 as part of the Great Northern Railway's line between Finsbury Park and Edgware stations. As part of London Underground's Northern Heights plan, Northern line trains started serving the station in 1940 and main line passenger services ended in 1941.

The station was originally named 'Finchley and Hendon'.
Print-friendly version of this page