Showing every road so far featured

(N.B. So as not to break the map, this will only show the first 5000).

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.91.106.223 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Hampstead · NW3 ·
October
9
2015

Ellerdale Road was added to the streetscape of Hampstead in 1874.


The architect T. K. Green built no. 2 Ellerdale Road, ’a defiantly Gothic house’ for himself in c. 1890. Several houses in Ellerdale Road have a sunflower motif, including no. 6 which Richard Norman Shaw built for himself in 1875 and occupied until his death in 1912.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Hampstead

Hampstead though now considered an integral part of London, has retained much of its village charm.

Hampstead is on a steep hill and the tube station platforms are the deepest on the London Underground network, at 58.5 metres below ground level. It has the deepest lift shaft on the Underground.

Although early records of Hampstead itself can be found in a grant by King Ethelred the Unready to the monastery of St. Peter's at Westminster (AD 986) and it is referred to in the Domesday Book (1086), the history of Hampstead is generally traced back to the 17th century.

Trustees of the Well started advertising the medicinal qualities of the chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) in 1700. Although Hampstead Wells was initially successful, its popularity declined in the 1800s due to competition with other London spas. The spa was demolished in 1882, although a water fountain was left behind.

Hampstead started to expand following the opening of the North London Railway in the 1860s (now on the London Overground), and expanded further after the tube station opened in 1907.
Print-friendly version of this page