This photo was taken on the corner of Kilburn High Road and Eresby Road, which has since disappeared.
Some of Kilburn remained quite rural in feel until the turn of the twentieth century.
The photo dates from the 1880s and shows the junction between Kilburn High Road and a road called Eresby Road. This ran from Kingsgate Road to Kilburn High Road with a turning for Kingsgate Place about halfway down.
Eresby Road was laid out in 1879 - across the southern part of the Little Estate, owned by the Powell-Cotton family. 26 houses were built there between 1883 and 1885. 12 more were built between 1891-2.
The cottages to be seen in the photo - called Clarence Place backed onto a small lane. They were demolished in the 1890s as Kilburn High Road developed. It is likely that the photographer - Alexander Dron - was inspired to picture the scene before it disappeared forever.
Eresby Road disappeared with the building of a new housing estate in the 1970s and Kingsgate Place was diverted to run along the side of the new estate and emerge here.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KILBURN AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
| ||Upload an image|
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
| ||Add new information to this location|
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
Kilburn is an area which straddles both sides of the Edgware Road (Kilburn High Road).
Kilburn High Road originated as an ancient trackway, part of a Celtic route between the settlements now known as Canterbury and St Albans. Under Roman rule, the route was paved. In Anglo-Saxon times the road became known as Watling Street.
Kilburn grew up on the banks of a stream which has been known variously as Cuneburna, Kelebourne and Cyebourne, which flows from Hampstead down through Hyde Park and into the River Thames. It is suggested the name means either Royal River or Cattle River ('Bourne' being an Anglo-Saxon word for 'river'). That river is known today as the Westbourne.
The name Kilburn was first recorded in 1134 as Cuneburna, referring to the priory which had been built on the site of the cell of a hermit known as Godwyn. Godwyn had built his hermitage by the Kilburn river during the reign of Henry I, and both his hermitage and the priory took their name from the river.
Kilburn Priory was a small community of nuns, probably Augustinian canonesses. It was founded in 1134 at the Kilburn river crossing on Watling Street (the modern-day junction of Kilburn High Road and Belsize Road). Kilburn Priory's position on Watling Street meant that it became a popular resting point for pilgrims heading for the shrines at St Albans and Willesden. The Priory was dissolved in 1536-37 by Henry VIII, and nothing remains of it today. The priory lands included a mansion and a hostium (a guesthouse), which may have been the origin of the Red Lion pub, thought to have been founded in 1444. Opposite, the Bell Inn was opened around 1600, on the site of the old mansion.
The fashion for taking 'medicinal waters' in the 18th century came to Kilburn when a well of chalybeate waters (water impregnated with iron) was discovered near the Bell Inn in 1714. In an attempt to compete with the nearby Hampstead Well, gardens and a 'great room' were opened to promote the well, and its waters were promoted in journals of the day as cure for 'stomach ailments'.
In the 19th century the wells declined, but the Kilburn Wells remained popular as a tea garden. The Bell was demolished and rebuilt in 1863. The Kilburn stretch of Watling Street, now called Edgware Road and Kilburn High Road, was gradually built up with inns and farm houses. Kilburn did not attract any significant building until around 1819 in the area near St John's Wood.
Much of the area was developed in the last decades of the 19th century by Solomon Barnett, who named many of the streets after places in the West Country (e.g. Torbay) or after popular poets of the day (e.g. Tennyson) in honour of his wife.
There are three railway stations on Kilburn High Road: Kilburn tube station (Jubilee line) at its northern end and a little to the south Brondesbury station (London Overground). Approximately a mile further south is Kilburn High Road station (also London Overground). The name of Ian Dury's first band, Kilburn and the High Roads, refers to this road, as does the Flogging Molly song, "Kilburn High Road" and the Shack song, "Kilburn High Road".
Kilburn tube station opened as Kilburn and Brondesbury on 24 November 1879, as part of the Metropolitan and St. John's Wood Railway run by the Metropolitan Railway. Following the merger of the Metropolitan Railway into London Transport in 1933, it then became part of the Stanmore branch of the Bakerloo line on 20 November 1939, at which time the station was extensively rebuilt. The station was renamed to its current name on 25 September 1950. It was transferred to the Jubilee line on its opening, on 1 May 1979.
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: The Cannon Stream was, before it was sent underground, a tributary of the Westbourne River.Gaumont State
: The Gaumont State Cinema is a Grade II listed Art Deco theatre. While it still exists, it is no longer a cinema.Kilburn Bridge Farm
: Kilburn Bridge Farm stood beside Watling Street until the late 1830s.Kilburn Grange Park
: Kilburn Grange Park is a 3.2 hectare open space adjacent to Kilburn High Road.Kilburn Wells
: Kilburn Wells. a medicinal spring, existed between 1714 and the 1860s.Kingsgate Community Centre
: Kingsgate Community Association was set up in 1982 by a group of local people who wished to establish a community centre in what was then a derelict building.Oaklands Hall
: On the west side of West End Lane, Charles Spain bought 5 acres and between 1829 and 1838 built York Villa.The Grange
: The Grange was a large mansion situated on Kilburn High Road until the turn of the twentieth century.West End Park
: West End Park was created from fields known as the 'Little Estate'.
Addison Court, NW6
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Albion Mews, NW6
· Aldershot Road, NW6
· Algernon Road, NW6
· Birchington Road, NW6
· Bransdale Close, NW6
· Brondesbury Mews, NW6
· Brondesbury Road, NW6
· Buckley Road, NW6
· Burton Road, NW6
· Callcott Road, NW6
· Charteris Road, NW6
· Colas Mews, NW6
· Cotleigh Road, NW6
· Coventry Close, NW6
· Daynor House, NW6
· Donaldson Road, NW6
· Douglas Court, NW6
· Douglas Road, NW6
· Drakes Courtyard, NW6
· Dunster Gardens, NW6
· Dynham Road, NW6
· Esmond Road, NW6
· Gascony Avenue, NW6
· Gladys Road, NW6
· Glengall Road, NW6
· Goldsmith Place, NW6
· Grange Place, NW6
· Grangeway, NW6
· Greville Mews, NW6
· Greville Place, NW6
· Greville Place, W9
· Greville Road, NW6
· Hazelmere Road, NW6
· Hemstal Road, NW6
· Hilltop Road, NW6
· Kenilworth Road, NW6
· Kilburn Bridge, NW6
· Kilburn High Road, NW6
· Kilburn Place, NW6
· Kilburn Priory, NW6
· Kilburn Square, NW6
· Kilburn Vale, NW6
· Kings Gardens, NW6
· Kingsgate Place, NW6
· Kingsgate Road, NW6
· Kingsley Road, NW6
· Kylemore Road, NW6
· Linburn House, NW6
· Linstead Street, NW6
· Loveridge Road, NW6
· Lowfield Road, NW6
· Mallard Close, NW6
· Manor Mews, NW6
· Mazenod Avenue, NW6
· Messina Avenue, NW6
· Mortimer Place, NW6
· Mutrix Road, NW6
· Netherwood Street, NW6
· Palmerston Road, NW6
· Plaza Parade, NW6
· Priory Park Road, NW6
· Quex Mews, NW6
· Quex Road, NW6
· Regents Plaza, NW6
· Sherriff Road, NW6
· Smyrna Road, NW6
· Springfield Lane, NW6
· Springfield Walk, NW6
· St Julians Road, NW6
· Streatley Road, NW6
· Swiss Terrace, NW6
· The Arches, NW6
· The Terrace, NW6
· Victoria Mews, NW6
· Victoria Road, NW6
· Waterloo Passage, NW6
· Webheath, NW6
|USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES|
- If you wish to link to this article in another article, copy the text in blue: [[1754|Kilburn High Road (1880s)]] - you can change the italic text to suit your text
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *L1754L* for a left-aligned image
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *R1754R* for a right-aligned image