The Prince of Wales (Chilled Eskimo)

Pub/bar/cafe in/near Kensal Town, existing between 1860 and now

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP  CONTACT 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Pub/bar/cafe · Kensal Town · W10 · Contributed by The Underground Map
July
11
2015


A pub in Kensal Town

The Prince of Wales stood on the corner of Middle Row and Southern Row.

Rarely for the area, the pub still exists and has been The Chilled Eskimo since 2013.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



The Prince of Wales (Chilled Eskimo) news feed:
Add a comment to the The Prince of Wales (Chilled Eskimo) news feed.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to The Prince of Wales (Chilled Eskimo):
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
CAPTCHA Image
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:
 

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Brenda Jackson
Brenda Jackson   
Added: 13 Aug 2017 21:39 GMT   
Expires: 12 Sep 2017 21:39 GMT   
IP: 94.13.78.193
1:1
Post by Brenda Jackson: Granville Road, NW6

My Gt Gt grandparents lived at 83 Pembroke Road before it became Granville Road, They were married in 1874, John Tarrant and Maryann Tarrant nee Williamson. Her brother George Samuel Williamson lived at 95 Pembroke Road with his fwife Emily and children in the 1881 Census Apparently the extended family also lived for many years in Alpha Place, Canterbury Road, Peel Road,
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 9 Aug 2017 19:00 GMT   
Expires: 23 Aug 2017 19:00 GMT   
IP:
1:2
Post by LDNnews: Latimer Road
New Prostate Treatment Pioneered at Charing Cross
Rezum could improve lives of one in three men over 50 with common condition

http://www.shepherdsbushw12.com/default.asp?section=info&link=http://neighbournet.com/server/common/hfhospitals1708a.htm
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 8 Aug 2017 06:30 GMT   
Expires: 22 Aug 2017 06:30 GMT   
IP:
1:3
Post by LDNnews: Ladbroke Grove
Register Now to Join Maggie’s Culture Crawl on 29 September
Ten mile fundraising walk includes behind the scenes visits to London landmarks

http://www.shepherdsbushw12.com/default.asp?section=info&link=http://neighbournet.com/server/common/maggies004.htm
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 7 Aug 2017 18:40 GMT   
Expires: 21 Aug 2017 18:40 GMT   
IP:
1:4
Post by LDNnews: Shepherds Bush Market
Upcoming Roadworks Around Shepherd’s Bush
Motorist warned off Westway closure over next two days

http://www.shepherdsbushw12.com/default.asp?section=info&page=sbroadworks170807.htm
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 4 Aug 2017 15:40 GMT   
Expires: 18 Aug 2017 15:40 GMT   
IP:
1:5
Post by LDNnews: Latimer Road
Join Free Yoga and Fitness Sessions Across H&F
Locations include Westfield, Ravenscourt Park and Lyric Square

http://www.shepherdsbushw12.com/default.asp?section=info&link=http://neighbournet.com/server/common/hffitness002.htm
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Aug 2017 12:20 GMT   
Expires: 1 Sep 2017 12:20 GMT   
IP:
2:6
Post by LDNnews: Ruislip Gardens
Lottie Moss cheekily flashes bra at a London bash
With a firm smirk on her face, the party animal half-sister of Kate looked sensational in a barely-there leather mini paired with a sheer frilled top

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-4801224/Lottie-Moss-appears-carefree-cheekily-flashes-bra.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Aug 2017 12:10 GMT   
Expires: 1 Sep 2017 12:10 GMT   
IP:
2:7
Post by LDNnews: Dollis Hill
’Sick joke’ to locate Redcar steelworks job in London, says Labour
’Sick joke’ to locate Redcar steelworks job in London, says Labour

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/aug/18/redcar-steelworks-job-locate-london-sick-joke-labour
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Aug 2017 11:50 GMT   
Expires: 1 Sep 2017 11:50 GMT   
IP:
2:8
Post by LDNnews: Colindale
Police kills five suicide bombers in second terrorist attack on Spain, after 13 killed by van in Barcelona earlier the same night
Five terrorists wearing suicide belts rammed civilians with a car in a Spanish seaside town before being shot dead by police in a second attack to hit the country.

http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/15481087.Police_kills_five_suicide_bombers_in_second_terrorist_attack_on_Spain__after_13_killed_by_van_in_Barcelona_earlier_the_same_night/?ref=rss
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Aug 2017 11:00 GMT   
Expires: 1 Sep 2017 11:00 GMT   
IP:
2:9
Post by LDNnews: Southgate
Night Tube to mark one-year anniversary with eight millionth journey
The Night Tube is set to run its eight millionth journey this weekend as the service marks its one-year anniversary.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/transport/night-tube-to-mark-oneyear-anniversary-with-eight-millionth-journey-a3614481.html
LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Aug 2017 10:50 GMT   
Expires: 1 Sep 2017 10:50 GMT   
IP:
2:10
Post by LDNnews: Totteridge
Man taken to hospital after aggravated burglary
A man was taken to hospital after three men forced entry into a property in the early hours of the morning.

http://www.times-series.co.uk/news/15481107.Man_taken_to_hospital_after_aggravated_burglary/?ref=rss
VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE KENSAL TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Kensal Town

Soapsuds Island

Kensal New Town was built between the Grand Central Canal (which opened in 1801) and the Great Western Railway line (opening in 1837) in the 1840s.

Single-storey cottages with gardens suitable for drying clothes were the first buildings and Kensal Road, Middle Row, West Row, East Row and Southern Row all appeared between 1841 and 1851. The rows of cottages quickly degenerated into a slum, mainly due to overcrowding, industrialisation and pollution.

The area was dominated by the Western Gas Company and Kensal Cemetery, which provided work but did little to improve the environment. Women were primarily involved in laundry work giving the area its nickname of ‘Soapsuds Island’.

The area was isolated from the rest of London at a time when Portobello Lane (now Portobello Road) was a muddy track sometimes impassable in bad weather.

Cut off from the municipal authorities it was left to charities to attempt to alleviate the social and health problems.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the cottage laundry industry began to be replaced by larger mechanized concerns.

In 1902 Charles Booth described it as, “Just as full of children and poverty as was the old woman’s dwelling in the nursery rhyme.” By this date the area had been transferred to the newly formed Royal Borough of Kensington. When the Piggeries and Potteries in Notting Dale were finally cleared in the early 20th century most of the displaced residents moved north into Golborne ward and Kensal.

By 1923 in the Southam Street area 140 houses contained some 2500 inhabitants. A series of evocative photographs by Roger Mayne in the 1950s showed that little had changed. It was only from the 1960s that the overcrowded and dilapidated terraces were cleared and replaced by social housing including Goldfinger’s Trellick Tower.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
6 East Row, W10: Scott Hatton:   Scott Hatton lived here in 1960
Admiral Blake (The Cowshed):   The Admiral Blake was situated at the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Road.
Barlby Road Primary School:   Barlby Road Primary School has long served the children of North Kensington.
Carmelite Monastery of The Most Holy Trinity:   Convent in North Kensington
Chamberlayne Farm:   Chamberlain (Wood) Farm developed out of the manor of Chambers, named after Richard de Camera, an early 13th century cleric.
Clayton Arms:   A pub which was situated halfway down West Row in Kensal Town.
Dissenters’ Chapel:   The Dissenters’ Chapel is a redundant chapel in Kensal Green Cemetery, recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.
Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance:   Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance is the traditional starting point for the Notting Hill Carnival.
Gas Light and Coke Company:   The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century.
Help us to build a better W10!:   We are after your memories!
Jack of Newbury:   The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row and Kensal Road until it was bombed on 2 October 1940.
Kensal House:   There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the original
Kensal Town:   Soapsuds Island
Lads of the Village:   One of the signature public houses along Kensal Road.
Middle Row Bus Garage:   Middle Row Bus Garage was situated on the corner of Conlan Street and Middle Row, W10.
Middle Row School:   Middle Row School was established in the late 19th century to provide education to the children of Kensal New Town.
North Kensington:   North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.
Portobello Arms:   The Portobello Arms was a former pub in Kensal Town, established in 1842.
Portobello Farm:   Portobello Farm House was approached along Turnpike Lane, sometimes referred to as Green’s Lane, a track leading from Kensington Gravel Pits towards a wooden bridge over the canal.
Queen Victoria/Narrow Boat:   The 'Vic' was the first building on the right when crossing the canal going north along Ladbroke Grove.
Queens Park Estate:   The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
Queen’s Park Library:   Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents.
Saint John the Evangelist:   Saint John’s Church stands on the busy crossroads of Harrow Road, Kilburn Lane and Ladbroke Grove and on the boundaries of the London Boroughs of Brent, Kensington and the City of Westminster, in which it stands.
Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School:   Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School is in St Charles Square.
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College:   St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College is a Roman Catholic sixth form college.
St Martins Mission:   Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street.
St. Joseph's Home:   St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s.
The Eagle:   The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road.
The Earl Derby:   The Earl Derby stood on the corner of Southern Row and Bosworth Road.
The Flora:   The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10.
The Foresters:   A lost pub of London W10
The Mitre:   The Mitre was situated at 62 Golborne Road.
Wedlake Street Baths:   In a time when most had somewhere to live but few had somewhere to wash at home, public baths were the place to go...
Western Arms:   The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Adair Road junction with Southam Street (1932):   A wet day in London W10.
Adair Road, W10:   Adair Road junction with Appleford Road, March 1964
Adair Road, W10:   Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders.
Corner of Rackham Street, Ladbroke Grove (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Exmoor Street (1950):   Photographed just after the Second World War, looking north along Exmoor Street.
Golborne Road bridge (1960s):   We think that this photo dates from the late 1960s, according to fashions and car registrations.
Hudson's the chemist (1906):   Hudson's, a chemist shop, stood on the corner of Ilbert Street and Third Avenue in the Queen's Park estate.
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1900):   This early 1900s image was taken just south of the junction of Ladbroke Grove and Treverton Street.
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1950):   Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.
Ladbroke Grove railway bridge:   Looking north over Bartle Bridge in the 1950s
Lothrop Street (1907):   2015
Rackham Street, eastern end (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Rackham Street, western end (1950):   A bombed-out Rackham Street, looking down from the junction with Exmoor Street.
St Charles Square after bombing (1950):   A corner of St Charles Square looking north, just after the Second World War
St Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951):   Photographed in 1951, the corner of St Charles Square and Ladbroke Grove looking northwest just after the Second World War.
The Victoria (1920s):   The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it ’conveniently burned down’.
Western Dwellings from below (1960s):   This photo was taken from the bottom of Southern Row steps.
William Miller's Yard:   William Miller's Yard stood in Chapel Place, West Row.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Adair Road, W10 · Adair Tower, W10 · Adela Street, W10 · Admiral Mews, W10 · Alderson Street, W10 · Alperton Street, W10 · Appleford House, W10 · Appleford Road, W10 · Bevington Road, W10 · Bonchurch Road, W10 · Bosworth Road, W10 · Branstone Street, W10 · Briar Walk, W10 · Bruce Close, W10 · Buller Road, NW10 · Canal Close, W10 · Conlan Street, W10 · Droop Street, W10 · East Row, W10 · Edenham Way, W10 · Elkstone Road, W10 · Embrook Street, W10 · Enbrook Street, W10 · Exmoor Street, W10 · Faraday Road, W10 · Farrant Street, W10 · Fifth Avenue, W10 · Fourth Avenue, W10 · Galton Street, W10 · Galton Street, W10 · Golborne Gardens, W10 · Golborne Mews, W10 · Golborne Road, W10 · Hawthorn Walk, W10 · Hazlewood Crescent, W10 · Hazlewood Tower, W10 · Heather Walk, W10 · Heather Walk, W10 · Hewer Street, W10 · Huxley Street, W10 · Ilbert Street, W10 · Kensal House, W10 · Kensal Road, W10 · Kilravock Street, W10 · Ladbroke Grove, W10 · Lavie Mews, W10 · Lionel Mews, W10 · Lothrop Street, W10 · Manchester Drive, W10 · Maple Walk, W10 · Maxilla Walk, W10 · Middle Row, W10 · Munro Mews, W10 · Norburn Street, W10 · Orchard Close, W10 · Parry Road, W10 · Porlock Street, W10 · Portobello Road, W10 · Rackham Street, W10 · Raymede Street, W10 · Regent Street, NW10 · Ronan Walk, W10 · Saint Lawrence Terrace, W10 · Second Avenue, W10 · Sixth Avenue, W10 · Southam Street, W10 · Southern Row, W10 · St Charles Place, W10 · St Charles Square, W10 · St Johns Terrace, W10 · St Lawrence Terrace, W10 · Sycamore Walk, W10 · Telford Road, W10 · Third Avenue, W10 · Treverton Street, W10 · Wedlake Street, W10 · West Row, W10 · Western Dwellings · Wheatstone Road, W10 · Wornington Road, W10 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

Links

North Kensington Histories
Recollections of people from North Kensington, London
RBKC Library Time Machine
Blog from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Library
Old Notting Hill/North Ken History
Facebook group, covering the history of W10 and W11.
Ladbroke Grove
Facebook Page
Latimer Road
Facebook Page
Queen’s Park
Facebook Page
Westbourne Park
Facebook Page
Born in W10
Facebook group
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.