Ennismore Gardens, SW7

Road in/near South Kensington, existing between 1845 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.235.172.213 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Road · South Kensington · SW7 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Ennismore Gardens dates from the 1840s.

Kingston House (originally Chudleigh House) was an eighteenth century Palladian mansion with grounds and built by Evelyn Pierrepont, 2nd Duke of Kingston-upon-Hull for his mistress. In 1813 the estate was sold to William Hare, Baron Ennismore, succeeded by his grandson William Hare who sold parts of the estate for redevelopment.

In the 1840s, development began with the construction of houses on the east side of Ennismore Gardens, as well as a pub - the Ennismore Arms.

In the 1860s the 3rd Earl released more land and thus the remainder of Ennismore Gardens, including the private garden at its centre, was laid out in the 1870s.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx



 

South Kensington

South Kensington is a London Underground station in Kensington, west London. It is served by the District, Circle and Piccadilly Lines.

It is hard to define boundaries for South Kensington, but it is generally talking about the commercial area around the tube station. The smaller centre around Gloucester Road station can also be considered part of South Kensington, as well as the institution area around Exhibition Road, which includes such famous names as the Natural History Museum, Science Museum, Royal Albert Hall, Imperial College, Victoria and Albert Museum, and the Royal College of Music.

Large numbers of French, Spanish and Italian citizens live in the area. A significant French presence is evidenced by the location of the consulate, the Lycee Francais Charles de Gaulle - a large French secondary school opposite the Natural History Museum - and the French Institute, home to a French cinema. There are also several French bookshops in the area.
Print-friendly version of this page