Print-friendly version of this page
Finchley Park was first constructed as Finsbury Road.
North Finchley is centred on Tally Ho Corner, the junction of the roads to East Finchley, Finchley Central and Whetstone.
In 1852 Finsbury Road, a cul-de-sac from the Great North Road into Friern Barnet with two southern spurs, had been laid out as the Finsbury estate in at least 36 plots. There were a few houses in 1865 but the estate was not completed until after 1900.Source: Friern Barnet: Introduction | British History Online
|ADD A STORY TO FINCHLEY PARK|
|VIEW THE NORTH FINCHLEY AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NORTH FINCHLEY AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NORTH FINCHLEY AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NORTH FINCHLEY AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE NORTH FINCHLEY AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
The name of the whole of the modern area covering North Finchley and neighbouring Whetstone was North End
, a name first used in 1462.
The rapid enclosure of the countryside in the first years of the nineteenth century meant the end of Finchley Common in 1816, opening up North Finchley from urbanisation - this still took a while nevertheless.
21 cottages were built in Lodge Lane during 1824 and by the 1830s there were other houses - even a chapel by 1837.
By 1839 North Finchley had a blacksmith (on Lodge Lane and not the High Road).
In 1851 there was a regular bus service from the ’Torrington’ to Charing Cross and next came the local railway lines. Christ Church was opened in 1870 and a new parish was formed in 1872.
In 1905 the Metropolitan Electric Tramways started a route between Highgate and Whetstone - a tram depot was opened in Woodberry Grove. Trams and buses together promoted North Finchley’s development.
|OTHER LOCATIONS NEAR HERE|
· Ashurst Road
· Beech Lawns
· Bow Lane
· Bow Lane
· Boxworth Close
· Bramber Road
· Buxted Road
· Capel Close
· Cardrew Avenue
· Cardrew Close
· Chaplin Square
· Christchurch Avenue
· Christchurch Close
· Coniston Close
· Copwood Close
· Cottonham Close
· Crescent Way
· Crowder Close
· Dale Grove
· Dickens Avenue
· Etchingham Court
· Etchingham Park Road
· Eton Avenue
· Finchley Court
· Frederick’s Place
· Friary Close
· Friary Road
· Friary Way
· Glebe Road
· Glebelands Close
· Glenhurst Road
· Graywood Court
· Green Road
· Hall Street
· Heatherdene Close
· Hemingford Close
· Highwood Avenue
· Holdenhurst Avenue
· Hyde Court
· Lambert Road
· Lawrence Campe Close
· Mayfield Avenue
· Montrose Crescent
· Moss Hall Crescent
· Moss Hall Infant School
· North Finchley
· Northwood Gardens
· Okehampton Close
· Our Lady of Lourdes RC School
· Park Close
· Park Crescent
· Park Crescent
· Petworth Road
· Sacks Morasha Jewish Primary School
· Safari Club
· Sherwood Street
· Sherwood Terrace
· Squires Lane
· St Michael’s Close
· Summerside Primary Academy
· Thyra Grove
· Torrington Avenue
· Torrington Park
· Valley Avenue
· Victoria Grove
· Welbeck Close
· Wentworth Close
· Woodberry Grove
· Woodberry Way
· Woodgrange Avenue
· Woodhouse College
· Woodhouse Road
· Woodside Lane
· Wren Academy
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
|Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.