Franthorne Way, SE6
Road might date from the first world war period. Housing stock dates between 1910 and 1925
Print-friendly version of this page Bellingham, which means 'the water-meadow belonging to Beora's people', was built between 1920 and 1936; about 2666 houses and flats were built and interspersed with open spaces and trees.
Franthorne Way is one of the streets of London in the SE6 postal area.
User unknown/public domain
Before the building of the Bellingham Estate, the neighbourhood had been farmland.
Provision was made for schools, shops, churches, parks and other amenities with Randlesdown Road serving as a high street. The Bellingham Estate is bordered to the east and west by railway lines running south from Catford.
Bellingham has its own train station situated at the top of Randlesdown Road (near the entrance to the industrial estate). The station, which lies on what today is known as the Catford Loop, was opened on 1 July 1892.