Friern Park, N12

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Most of the urban landscape is interwar

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Addington Drive · Albert Street · Anastasia Mews · Arden Grange · Ashbourne Close · Ashurst Road · Ashurst. Road · Barnet · Barnet · Beech Lawns · Beechvale Close · Bensley Close · Bow Lane · Boxworth Close · Bramber Road · Britannia Road · Brompton Mews · Budd Close · Burnbrae Close · Buxted Road · Cardrew Avenue · Cardrew Close · Castle Mews · Castle Road · Chaplin Square · Chislehurst Avenue · Christchurch Avenue · Christchurch Close · Church Path · Churchfield Avenue · Churchfield Way · Clifton Road · Cliveden Close · Coathouse Farm · Constable Close · Coppetts Wood Nursery · Copwood Close · Cottonham Close · Crescent Way · Crossway · Crowder Close · Dale Grove · Derby Avenue · Dickens Avenue · Dorie Mews · Dunbar Court · Dwight School London · Elephant Inn · Etchingham Court · Etchingham Park Road · Eton Avenue · Fairfield Close · Fallow Court Avenue · Fallowfields Drive · Fenstanton Avenue · Finchley Court · Finchley Park · Finchley United Services Club · Frederick’s Place · Frenchman’s Farm · Friars Avenue · Friary Close · Friary Park · Friary Park Bowling Club · Friary Road · Friary Way · Friern Barnet · Friern Barnet Lane · Friern Barnet Lane · Friern Watch Avenue · Garthway · Gaumont · Glebe Road · Glebe Road · Glebelands Close · Glenhurst Road · Goldsmith Road · Grand Arcade · Grangeway · Granville Place · Graywood Court · Gresham Avenue · Grove Road · Hall Street · Halliwick Manor House · Hamilton Square · Harwood Close · Hatley Close · Haughmond · Hawthornden Close · Heatherdene Close · Hemingford Close · Highwood Avenue · Hilton Avenue · Holdenhurst Avenue · Holdenhurst Avenue · Hollickwood Avenue · Holly Croft · Hollyfield Avenue · Hughes Close · Ingleway · Inkwell Close · Kennard Road · Kenver Avenue · Lambert Mews · Lambert Road · Lambert Way · Leadbeaters Close · Leisure Way · Lewes Road · Little Cedars · Lodge Lane · Lynton Avenue · Mayfield Avenue · Montrose Crescent · Moss Hall Court · Moss Hall Crescent · Mossborough Close · Netherfield Road · Newstead Close · North Finchley · North Middlesex Golf Club · Northumberland House · Northwood Gardens · Okehampton Close · Oxi Football Club · Pamela Court · Park Close · Park Close · Park Court · Park Crescent · Park Crescent · Park Cresent · Park Way · Petworth Road · Pond Close · Priory Villas · Queens Avenue · Queens Parade Close · Queens Well Avenue · Ravensdale Avenue · Regent Close · Rogers Walk · Rosebank Close · Rosemont Avenue · Safari Club · Sandringham Gardens · School Way · Short Way · Shortway · Sonia Gardens · Squires Lane · Squirrels Close · St Andrew’s Close · St James Close · St Michael’s Close · St. Andrew’s Close · St. John’s Cottages · Stanhope Road · Tally Ho · The Bohemia · The Lindens · The Oaks · The Watch · The Woodlands · Theobald’s Avenue · Theobalds Avenue · Thistley Close · Thurlestone Avenue · Thyra Grove · Tommy Flynn’s · Toolans · Torrington Avenue · Torrington Close · Torrington Grove · Torrington Park · Torrington Park · Upway · Valley Avenue · Victoria Grove · Warnham Road · Welbeck Close · Wentworth Close · Whittington Mews · Winifred Place · Woodberry Gardens · Woodberry Grove · Woodberry Way · Woodgrange Avenue · Woodhouse College · Woodhouse Road · Woodlands Avenue
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · North Finchley · N12 ·

Friern Park was originnally part of Henry Holden’s Friern Park estate.

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


North Finchley

North Finchley is centred on Tally Ho Corner, the junction of the roads to East Finchley, Finchley Central and Whetstone.

The name of the whole of the modern area covering North Finchley and neighbouring Whetstone was North End, a name first used in 1462.

The rapid enclosure of the countryside in the first years of the nineteenth century meant the end of Finchley Common in 1816, opening up North Finchley from urbanisation - this still took a while nevertheless.

21 cottages were built in Lodge Lane during 1824 and by the 1830s there were other houses - even a chapel by 1837.

By 1839 North Finchley had a blacksmith (on Lodge Lane and not the High Road).

In 1851 there was a regular bus service from the ’Torrington’ to Charing Cross and next came the local railway lines. Christ Church was opened in 1870 and a new parish was formed in 1872.

In 1905 the Metropolitan Electric Tramways started a route between Highgate and Whetstone - a tram depot was opened in Woodberry Grove. Trams and buses together promoted North Finchley’s development.
Print-friendly version of this page


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.