Garrett Lane, SW18

Road in/near Wandsworth, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
18.204.48.40 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Wandsworth · SW18 ·
July
4
2018

1' target='_top'>89617' target='_top'>Garratt Lane connects Wandsworth High Street to Tooting Broadway and is approximately 4 kilometres long.


1' target='_top'>89617' target='_top'>Garratt Lane has mixed usage along its length. In the north it contains newly developed stores including a large single-storey shopping mall with parking above. The stretch between Allfarthing Lane and Burntwood Lane is mainly diverse shophouses including a few professional services. The southern portion is mainly residential, although around Summertown there are a few light industries and the Wimbledon Stadium.

The southernmost part of 1' target='_top'>89617' target='_top'>Garratt Lane is unusual in that two parallel streets exchanged names. The original 1' target='_top'>89617' target='_top'>Garratt Lane was a narrower street than Garratt Terrace, which was the main connection to Tooting Broadway. Many people mistakenly called it 1' target='_top'>89617' target='_top'>Garratt Lane, so it was agreed to exchange the names.

The south-east end of 1' target='_top'>89617' target='_top'>Garratt Lane, running from the junction with Fountain Road and Upper Tooting Road was previously called Defoe Road.

Most large public houses have survived along 1' target='_top'>89617' target='_top'>Garratt Lane, including The Old Sergeant and the Leather Bottle, both of which date to the 11' target='_top'>8th century. The latter figured in the mock Garrat Elections of the late 11' target='_top'>8th century, which were featured in the play The Mayor of Garratt by Samuel Foote.

xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Wandsworth

Wandsworth takes its name from the River Wandle, which enters the Thames at Wandsworth.

Wandsworth appears in Domesday Book of 1086 as Wandesorde and Wendelesorde. This means 'enclosure of (a man named) Waendel', whose name is also lent to the River Wandle.

Since at least the early 16th century, Wandsworth has offered accommodation to consecutive waves of immigration, from Protestant Dutch metalworkers fleeing persecution in the 1590s to recent Eastern European members of the European Union.

The heart of Wandsworth, between the town centre and the river, is the site of Young & Co's Ram Brewery. Traditional draught beer was produced on the site for 425 years starting from 1581, which made the Ram Brewery the oldest site in Britain at which beer had been brewed continuously. Shire horse-drawn brewery drays were still used to deliver beer to local pubs. However, brewing stopped in September 2006 when Young & Co merged its operations with Charles Wells of Bedford.

Wandsworth gas works was built in 1834 beside the River Thames near Wandsworth Bridge. The undertaking became the Wandsworth and Putney Gaslight and Coke Company in 1854 and was incorporated by Act of Parliament in 1856. Coal for making coal gas was brought by sea from North East England and unloaded on the Thames beside the gasworks. The undertaking grew by a series of mergers and takeovers so that by 1936 it served a considerable area of south-west London.

The River Front is a former wharf area, and now a long river walk towards Battersea Village and the West End. It is now lined with new apartment blocks, with several bars and restaurants.

Wandsworth Common is set back from the river, at the top of East Hill, containing an area known locally as 'the Toast Rack' that has some of the most expensive townhouses in London.

The Tonsleys/Old York Road is a residential area of old Wandsworth close to the river and town centre, so called because many of the street names have the word Tonsley included. It has a village feel with the Old York Road's cafes and shops at its heart. Houses in this area, although small, are desired because they retain their Victorian character and are in close proximity to Wandsworth Town railway station. The houses are very popular with city workers, lawyers, advertising executives and other professionals.
East Hill is an area of large Victorian houses bordered by the west side of Wandsworth Common.

Wandsworth High Street is a rather traffic-choked street, dominated by the recently regenerated Southside shopping centre, cinema and restaurant complex (formerly called the Arndale Centre). Behind the shopping centre, and following the River Wandle upstream towards Earlsfield and further south to Wimbledon, is King George's Park.
Print-friendly version of this page


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.