Gilbert Street, W1K

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
107.23.176.162 
Adam and Eve Court · Adams Row · Admiral Court · Air Street · Albemarle Street · Aldburgh Mews · All Souls Church · All Souls CofE Primary School · Archibald Mews · Argyll Street · Ashland Place · Avery Row · Baker Street · Barlow Place · Beak Street · Berkeley Square · Berners Street · Binney Street · Blenheim Street · Bond Street · Broadwick Street · Brook Street · Brook Street · Brown Hart Gardens · Brown Street · Brunswick Mews · Bruton Lane · Bryanston Mews West · Bryanston Square · Bryanston Street · Bryanston Street · Bryanston Street · Bulstrode Street · Burlington Gardens · Burlington Gardens · Bury Street · Carnaby Street · Cavendish Place · Cavendish Square · Chandos Street · Charlotte Street · Church of the Annunciation · Churchill Hotel · Clarges Mews · Clenston Mews · Clifford Street · Coach And Horses Yard · Coach Horses Yard · Conduit Avenue · Conduit Street · Conduit Street · Connaught Place · Cork Street · Culross Street · Davies Mews · Davies Street · Davies Street · Davis Street · Dean’s Mews · Dering Street · Dorchester Ride · Duchess Street · Duke Street St James’s · Eastcastle Street · Edwards Mews · Forset Street · Foubert’s Place · Gee’s Court · Gloucester Place · Great Castle Street · Great Castle Street · Great Marlborough Street · Green Park · Grosvenor Square · Halcyon London International School · Hanover Square · Hanover Square · Hanover Street · Harewood Place · Harley Street · Haunch Of Venison Yard · Hay’s Mews · Heddon Street · Hills Place · Hinde Street · Holles Street · Home House · International Community School · International House · Jason Court · Jermyn Street · John Prince’s Street · John Princes Street · John Street · Kendall Place · L’Ecole Internationale Franco-Anglaise Ltd · Lancashire Court · Langham House · Little Titchfield Street · London Loop · Lumley Street · Maddox Street · Mandeville Place · Marble Arch · Marble Arch · Marble Arch · Marylebone Lane · Masons Arms Mews · Mason’s Arms Mews · Mayfair · Mayfair Mews · Mews Yard · Mill Street · Montagu House · Montagu Street · Mount Row · Mount Street Mews · Mount Street · New Bond Street · New Burlington Place · New Burlington Street · Odeon Marble Arch · Old Bond Street · Old Burlington Street · Old Cavendish Street · Old Quebec Street · Orchard Court · Orchard Court · Orchard Street · Oxford Circus · Oxford Circus Avenue · Oxford Circus · Oxford Circus · Oxford Street · Oxford Street · Oxford Street · Oxford Street · Park Lane · Park Lane · Piccadilly · Piccadilly · Piccadilly · PO Box 70608 · Pollen Street · Portland Place · Portman Close · Portman Square · Portman Street · Princes Street · Providence Court · Quebec Mews · Queen’s College London · Queen's Arms (1890) · Ramillies Place · Ramillies Street · Red Lion Yard · Reeves Mews · Regent Street · Rex Place · Riding House Street · Robert Adam Street · Rose and Crown Yard · Saint George Street · Saint James’s Street · Saint Vincent Street · Savile Row · Sedley Place · Sedley Place · Shepherd Market · Somerset House · South Molton Lane · South Molton Street · Speakers’ Corner · St Andrews Mansions · St George Street · St George’s Hanover Square CofE Primary School · St Georges Square · St Vincent’s Catholic Primary School · St. Anselm’s Place · Swallow Place · Tenterden Street · The Royal College of Nursing · The Sylvia Young Theatre School · Three Kings Yard · Three Kings’ Yard · Tilney Street · Twopenny Tube · Tyburn · University of Westminster · University of Westminster · Upper John Street · Weighhouse Street · Wells Mews · Wells Street · Wetherby Senior School · Wimpole Mews · Winsley Street · Woodstock Street · Wyndham Mews · Wyndham Yard
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Oxford Circus · W1K · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000

Gilbert Street is one of the streets of London in the W1K postal area.


VIEW THE OXFORD CIRCUS AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE OXFORD CIRCUS AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE OXFORD CIRCUS AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE OXFORD CIRCUS AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE OXFORD CIRCUS AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Oxford Circus

Oxford Circus, designed by John Nash in 1811.

Oxford Circus, the busy intersection of Oxford Street and Regent Street, was constructed in the beginning of the 19th century, and was designed by John Nash. Regent Street had been commissioned by Prince Regent, who was later to become King George IV, as a grand scheme to connect the Princes home at Carlton House with his newly acquired property at Regents Park. Nash designed a wide boulevard with a sweeping curve that became a clear dividing line between the less respectable Soho and the fashionable squares and streets of Mayfair. Born from the concept of Nash’s layout of the New Street in 1812, frontage alignments remain, with the rebuilt listed architecture of 1920s buildings.

The surrounding area contains important elements of the Nash heritage. All frontages on the Circus are Grade II Listed. The entire of Regent Street is also listed and sits within a conservation area.

The circus is served by Oxford Circus tube station, which is directly beneath the junction itself.

Oxford Circus station has entrances on all four corners of the intersection. The station is an interchange between the Central, Victoria and Bakerloo lines. It is the fourth busiest station on the network and the busiest without connection to the National Rail service. It opened on the Central London Railway on 30 July 1900, with the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway's platforms opening on 10 March 1906. The two companies had separate surface buildings and lift shafts. The station buildings, which remain today as exits from the station, were constructed on very confined plots on either side of Argyll Street on the south side of Oxford Street, just to the east of the circus itself. The stations were originally built as entirely separate, but connecting passages were swiftly provided at platform level. The surviving Central London Railway building to the east of Argyll Street is the best surviving example of the stations designed by Harry Bell Measures, and the Bakerloo line building to the west is a classic Leslie Green structure. Both station buildings are Grade II listed.

Almost from the outset, overcrowding has been a constant problem at the station and it has seen numerous improvements to its facilities and below-ground arrangements to deal with this difficulty. After much discussion between the then two separate operators, a major reconstruction began in 1912. This saw a new ticket hall, dealing with both lines, built in the basement of the Bakerloo station, the Bakerloo lifts removed, and new deep-level escalators opened down to the Bakerloo line level. Access to the Central line was by way of existing deep-level subways. The new works came into use on 9 May 1914 with the CLR lifts still available for passengers. By 1923 even this rearrangement was unable to cope, so a second rebuilding commenced. This saw a second set of escalators built directly down to the Central line, the CLR station building becoming an exit only. Then, on 2 October 1928, a third escalator leading to the Bakerloo platforms was opened. Unusually, lifts came back into prominence at an Underground station when, in 1942, a set of high-speed lifts came into use, largely used as an exit route from the Central line platforms directly to the Argyll Street exit building.

The Victoria line opened on 7 March 1969. To handle the additional passenger loads, a new ticket hall was constructed directly under the road junction. To excavate the new ticket hall below the roadway, traffic was diverted for five years (August 1963 to Easter 1968) on to a temporary bridge-like structure known as the 'umbrella' covering the Regent Street/Oxford Street intersection. Services tunnels were constructed to carry water mains and telecom cables past the new ticket hall. Construction of the Victoria line station tunnels with their platforms, the new escalator shafts and the linking passages to the Central line platforms was carried out from access shafts sunk from nearby Cavendish Square, Upper Regent Street and Argyll Street. To this day, traffic passing through the Oxford Circus intersection literally travels over the roof of the ticket office.
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Knightsbridge
Facebook Page
Warren Street
Facebook Page
Marble Arch
Facebook Page
Regent’s Park
Facebook Page
Hyde Park Corner
Facebook Page
Green Park
Facebook Page
Great Portland Street
Facebook Page
Bond Street
Facebook Page
Baker Street
Facebook Page
Oxford Circus
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street

Maps


Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.