Grants Close, NW7

Road maybe built in the Edwardian era. Most of the urban landscape is interwar

Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
Abercorn Close · Abercorn Road · Aberdare Gardens · Amport Place · Appledore Way · Arrandene Open Space · Ashley Lane · Ashley Walk · Barnet Copthall Leisure Centre · Bittacy Close · Bittacy Court · Bittacy Hill Park · Bittacy Hill · Bittacy Park Avenue · Bittacy Road · Bradshaw Drive · Bray Road · Brookfield Avenue · Brookfield Close · Brookfield Crescent · Brownsea Walk · Champions Way · Charles Sevright Drive · Chase Lodge Playing Field · Copthall Playing Fields · Curry Rise · Devonshire Crescent · Devonshire Cresent · Devonshire Road · Devonshire Road · Dollis Brook Viaduct · Dollis Farm · Dollis Road · Drew Avenue · Finchley Manor Lawn Tennis · Frances and Dick James Court · Frith Court · Frith Lane · Hawthorn Mews · Hendon Golf Club · Hendon Rugby Football Club · Henry Darlot Drive · Holders Hill Road · Honiton Gardens · Katherine Close · Kelly Road · Kingsbridge Drive · Langstone Way · Lee Road · Lovers Walk · Mallow Mead · Marwood Drive · Maurice Browne Close · Meldex Close · Mill Hill East · Mill Hill East looking northeast · Moorlands Avenue · Moreton Close · Morphou Road · Oakhampton Road · Oakhampton Road · Osborn Gardens · Partingdale Lane · Partingdale Lane · Peacock Close · Powerleague Fives Limited · Powerleague Millhill · Price Close · Pursley Road · Reading Way · Rushden Gardens · Sanders Lane · Shirwell Close · Stockford Avenue · Tavistock Avenue · The Red Filly · Thirleby Road · Thornefield Parade · Thornfield Avenue · Tiverton Way · Vineyard Avenue · Virgin Active · Walden Way · Westlinton Close
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Mill Hill East · NW7 ·

Grants Close is a street in Mill Hill.

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


Mill Hill East

Mill Hill East station is on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line, and is the only station on a branch from Finchley Central.

Mill Hill East station was built by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was opened as Mill Hill on 22 August 1867 by the Great Northern Railway (GNR) (which had taken over the EH&LR) in rural Middlesex. The station was on a line from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate.

The EH&LR was built as a double track formation, but only a single track was laid, with the intention of doubling the track when business developed. However, when the GNR opened a branch from Finchley Central to High Barnet in April 1872 traffic on that section was greater, and the second track was never laid from Finchley Central to Edgware. For most of its history the service between those two stations was operated as a shuttle.

The station opened as Mill Hill and was given its present name in 1928.

The area around Mill Hill East has still the air of a village about it. It is quiet and very green with plenty of parks and golf courses to hand.

Parts of the eastern side of Mill Hill have recently undergone redevelopment, with the old gas works replaced by a Waitrose supermarket and housing developments. The small local retail area at Mill Hill East is at “Kelly’s Corner” (officially Holders Hill Circus) east of the station. To the south of Mill Hill East are Copthall and Holders Hill.

The United Kingdom / Carl Zeiss / Bausch & Lomb Optical Works was established at Mill Hill East in 1912 and demolished in about 1990, to be replaced by a large building owned by the Jehovah Witnesses, to complement their nearby Watchtower House built on the site of the former Bittacy House.

Mill Hill East is the least used station on the Northern Line with only 10,000 passengers per week.
Print-friendly version of this page


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.