Mansion House

Underground station, existing between 1871 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
34.204.191.31 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Underground station · City of London · EC4N ·
September
4
2013

Mansion House is a London Underground station in the City of London, near Mansion House (although Bank station is actually closer to that).

Mansion House Station: 1955 view of entrance on Cannon Street. View westward, on Cannon Street towards St Paul's Cathedral, Queen Victoria Street being to the left. At that time the rebuilding of the City after the Blitz was only beginning.
It is a sub-surface station served by trains on the Circle and District Lines. The station is located at the junction of Queen Victoria Street and Cannon Street and it is within easy walking distance of Cannon Street tube station.

The station was opened on 3 July 1871 by the Metropolitan District Railway (MDR, now the District Line) when the company extended the line from Blackfriars. The station became the new eastern terminus of the MDR.

The MDR connected to the Metropolitan Railway (MR, later the Metropolitan Line) at South Kensington and, although the two companies were rivals, each company operated its trains over the other's tracks in a joint service known as the Inner Circle.

From 1 March 1883, the District operated a service between Mansion House and Windsor, using GWR tracks from a junction installed just east of Ealing Broadway, but it was unremunerative and ceased on 30 September 1885.

In 1897 the MDR obtained parliamentary permission to construct a deep-level tube railway running between Gloucester Road and Mansion House beneath the sub-surface line. The new line was to be an express route using electric trains to relieve congestion on the sub-surface tracks. Mansion House was to be the terminus of the express route with platforms 71 feet below the sub-surface platforms.

No immediate work was carried out on the deep-level line, and the subsequent take over of the MDR by the Underground Electric Railways Company of London and the resignalling and electrification of the MDR's routes between 1903 and 1905 meant that congestion was relieved without needing to construct the deep-level line. The plan was dropped in 1908.

In the 1920s the station entrance was rebuilt to a design by Charles Holden. It featured a tall glazed screen with Underground roundel similar to his station designs for the extension to Morden of the City & South London Railway (now the Northern Line) opened between 1924 and 1926.

In 1949, the Metropolitan Line operated Inner Circle route was given its own identity on the tube map as the Circle Line.

xxx

Mansion House Station: 1955 view of entrance on Cannon Street. View westward, on Cannon Street towards St Paul's Cathedral, Queen Victoria Street being to the left. At that time the rebuilding of the City after the Blitz was only beginning.
User unknown/public domain



LDNnews
LDNnews   
Added: 18 Oct 2019 15:27 GMT   
IP:
3:1:195
Post by LDNnews: Aldwych
The Steelyard was the main trading base (kontor) of the Hanseatic League in London during 15th and 16th centuries.
The Steelyard was the main trading base (kontor) of the Hanseatic League in London during 15th and 16th centuries.

https://www.theundergroundmap.com/article.html?id=2618

VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE CITY OF LONDON AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

City of London

The City of London constituted most of London from its settlement by the Romans in the 1st century AD to the Middle Ages, but the conurbation has since grown far beyond its borders.

As the City's boundaries have remained almost unchanged since the Middle Ages, it is now only a tiny part of the metropolis of Greater London, though it remains a notable part of central London. It holds city status in its own right and is also a separate ceremonial county.

It is widely referred to as 'The City' (often written on maps as City and differentiated from the phrase 'the city of London') or 'the Square Mile' as it is 1.12 square miles in area. These terms are also often used as metonyms for the United Kingdom's financial services industry, which continues a notable history of being largely based in the City.

The local authority for the City, the City of London Corporation, is unique in the UK and has some unusual responsibilities for a local council, such as being the police authority. It also has responsibilities and ownerships beyond the City's boundaries. The Corporation is headed by the Lord Mayor of the City of London, an office separate from (and much older than) the Mayor of London.

The City is a major business and financial centre, ranking as the world's leading centre of global finance. Throughout the 19th century, the City was the world's primary business centre, and continues to be a major meeting point for businesses.

The City had a resident population of about 7000 in 2011 but over 300,000 people commute to it and work there, mainly in the financial services sector. The legal profession forms a major component of the northern and western sides of the City - especially in the Temple and Chancery Lane areas where the Inns of Court are located, of which two—Inner Temple and Middle Temple - fall within the City of London boundary.
Print-friendly version of this page


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.