Hackford Road, SW9

Road in/near Oval, existing between the 1820s and now

MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Oval · SW9 ·

Hackford Road is the former home of Vincent van Gogh.

Hackford Road in a Van Gogh style
Credit: The Underground Map
Hackford Road stands where there was once open countryside and in historical documents is often referred to as part of Stockwell.

Originally known as St Ann’s Road, Hackford Road is a mixture of housing styles from the 1840s onwards.

In fact the first appearance of building were small houses and shops at the north end of the street in the 1820s.

By the 1880s, cottages on the west side of the street and some on the east side were demolished and the terraces that stand today were erected.

Vincent van Gogh lived at No. 87 in 1873.

Reay Primary School was built in the early 1900s and was originally a school for boys. The school was built on the site of the 1820s shops to the north of the street.

Main source: Oval History
Further citations and sources


Hackford Road in a Van Gogh style
The Underground Map



Oval tube station in Kennington is named after The Oval Cricket Ground, which it serves.

The station opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the City & South London Railway. It opened as Kennington Oval, and was designed by Thomas Phillips Figgis with elements of early Arts and Crafts and neo-classical detailing. The structure was made distinctive by a lead-covered dome with cupola lantern and weathervane which housed some of the lift equipment; the main part of the building was of red brick. The station building was rebuilt in the early 1920s when the line was modernised and was refurbished during late 2007/early 2008 at street level with a modern tiling scheme inside and out, giving the station a more modern look. Reflecting its proximity to the cricket ground, the internal decorative tiling features large images of cricketers in various stances.
Print-friendly version of this page