Halt Parade, NW9

Road might date from the first world war period. Most of the urban landscape is interwar

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.226.64.30 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Colindale · NW9 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


Halt Parade is a street in Kingsbury.



ADD A STORY TO HALT PARADE
VIEW THE COLINDALE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE COLINDALE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE COLINDALE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE COLINDALE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE COLINDALE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Colindale

Colindale is an area of north London lying to the northwest of Hendon.

Formerly in the borough and ancient parish of Hendon, Colindale was essentially the dale between Mill Hill and Burroughs. By the middle of the 20th century, it had come to include that part of the Edgware Road between The Hyde, and Burnt Oak.

The area is named after a 16th century family of the same name. Until the 20th century Collindale, was without any buildings save for a large house called Collindale Lodge, Collindale Farm, and a few cottages. (A spelling with two L’s has been used, as on this printed in 1873.) All of these properties were on Collindeep Lane, which had in the medieval period been an alternative route out of London (via Hampstead, Golders Green, and Hendon) to the Edgware Road. By the end of the 16th century it was not often used as a main road, and by the middle part of the 19th century was called Ancient Street.

By the end of the 19th century cheap land prices made Colindale attractive to developers. Colindale Hospital was started in 1898 as an asylum for the long term sick of central London, and The Government Lymph Establishment for making vaccines was built in 1907. By 1996 the majority of the hospital was closed, and at present lies mostly derelict. In 1902 the British Museum built a new depository, and kept the newspaper collection there from 1934.

Garston’s Ltd established a trunk factory in 1901, as well as a row of cottages called Leatherville, as such they constitute the first manufacturer in the Collindale. By 1914 there was already housing between Colindale Avenue and Annesley avenues mostly to house the workers of these endeavours. Immediately after the First World War a number of other manufacturing companies came to Colindale. Franco Illuminated Signs came to Aerodrome Road in 1922. They made their money making the lights for the Franco British Exhibition (1909), from which they took their name (later abbreviated to Franco). They were best known for the neon signs to be found in Piccadilly from the 1920s to the 1970s. Frigidaire started in a wooden shack in Aerodrome Road, employing 11 people in 1923, and selling the first automatic household fridges in England. The reason why many of these and other companies chose Colindale was that there was land available for expansion. However by 1923 the tube railway reached Colindale, land prices increased and factory expansion was not realisable. A number of industries looked elsewhere for premises. In 1931 Fridgdaire, for example, decided to build a new manufacturing plant on the Edgware Road and had moved its entire operations there by 1946.

Colindale station opened on 18 August 1924 on what was then the Hampstead and Highgate Line as the first station on the second section of the Underground’s extension to Edgware.

After the station opened suburban development was rapid, and by 1939 much of the western side was semi-detached housing. Typical is the Colin Park Estate built by F. H. Stucke & Co, built around Colindeep Lane (1927). A number of the houses on this estate are by the architect E. G. Trobridge. St Matthias started as a mission church in 1905. Its permanent building was opened in 1934 and rebuilt 1971-3. Colindale infants’ school was started in Colindeep Lane in 1921, with a new building constructed in Woodfield Avenue in 1933. In September of 1940 Colindale tube station and the Newpaper Library (rebuilt 1957) were bombed, and the site was visited by George VI and Queen Elizabeth, the late Queen Mother. The V1 flying bombs hit Colindale Hospital on 1 July 1944 killing four members of the Women’s Auxiliary Air Force.

Places of interest include the British Library newspaper depository, the Royal Air Force Museum, Barnet College, and the Peel Centre (better known as Hendon Police College).

A small brook, a tributary of the River Brent called the Silk Stream, runs north to south. Here also is the Grahame Park Estate, built on the former Hendon Aerodrome.

OTHER UNDERGROUND MAP LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
Aeroville · Airco Close · Annesley Avenue · Ash Tree Dell · Aviation Drive · Avion Crescent · Barnhill Road · Beverley Drive · Blessed Dominic Catholic Primary School · Bnos Beis Yaakov Primary School · Booth Road · Boulevard Drive · Bovingdon Lane · Bowater Close · Braemar Gardens · Brent River College · British Library Newspapers · Broadview · Brooklea Close · Byron Avenue · Chancellor Place · Charcot Road · Chequers Close · Cherry Close · Clayton Field · Colindale · Coningsby Avenue · Corner Mead · Cranfield Drive · Denmark Hill Drive · Derwent Avenue · Eagle Drive · East Drive · Elvington Lane · Ennerdale Drive · Evelyn Avenue · Fairfields Close · Fairfields Crescent · Falcon Way · Five Acre · Forest Gate · Fulbeck Drive · Further Acre · Grahame Park · Greenway Close · Grove Crescent · Harrier Road · Haydon Close · Hayland Close · Hazel Close · Heritage Avenue · Heybourne Crescent · Heywood Avenue · High Meadow Crescent · Highcroft · Highfield Close · Hill View Gardens · Hillside · Holmstall Avenue · Hundred Acre · Joslin Avenue · Kenley Avenue · Kestrel Close · Kingsbury Green Primary School · Lancaster Close · Larch Green · Lingard Avenue · Linklea Close · Little Strand · Long Field · Long Mead · Lower Strand · Mead Court · Meadow Way · Milton Avenue · Montrose Avenue · Montrose Playing Fields · Mornington Close · Mount Drive · Near Acre · North Acre · Oliver Goldsmith Primary School · Park Road · Pasteur Close · Peel Drive · Piper’s Green · Portman Gardens · Priestley Way · Propeller Way · Propeller Way · Quakers Course · RAF Museum · Raven Close · Roe End · Roe Green · Roe Green Infant School · Roe Green Park · Roe Green · Roe Lane · Rose Glen · Rydal Gardens · Sandhurst Road · Scudamore Lane · Shorts Croft · South Mead · Southbourne Avenue · Southover Partnership School · Springfield Gardens · St James’ Catholic High School · St Robert Southwell RC Primary School · Stag Lane · Stonecrop Close · Stubbs Close · Sunningdale Gardens · Sunny View · Swan Drive · The Mall · The Retreat · The Ridgeway · The Village School · Tintern Avenue · Torah Vodaas · Trenchard Close · Wardell Field · Warmwell Avenue · Westfield Close · Wingfield and Stonegrove Children’s Centre · Withers Mead ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Northwest Middlesex (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
From Harrow Weald in the northwest to West Hendon in the southeast, and from Stirling Corner in the northeast to Harrow in the southwest.
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.