There was until the reign of William IV, a rustic corner of the outskirts of London between King’s Cross and St. John’s Wood.
The prætorium of a Roman camp was visible where Barnsbury Terrace is now; the remains of another were situated opposite old St Pancras Church, and herds of cows grazed at Rhodes Farm
near where Euston station is now. The New Road (Euston Road
) between Battle Bridge (King’s Cross) to Tottenham Court Road
was considered unsafe after dark; and "parties used to collect at stated points to take the chance of the escort of the watchman in his half-hourly round." In 1707 there were no streets west of Tottenham Court Road
; and one cluster of houses only, besides the "Spring Water House" nearly half a century later, at which time what is now the Euston Road
was part of an expanse of verdant fields.
In the reign of George IV., as Mr. Samuel Palmer writes in his History of St. Pancras
: "the rural lanes, hedgeside roads, and lovely fields made Camden Town the constant resort of those who, busily engaged during the day in the bustle of . . . London, sought its quietude and fresh air to re-invigorate their spirits. Then the old ’Mother Red Cap’ was the evening resort of worn-out Londoners, and many a happy evening was spent in the green fields round about the old wayside house by the children of the poorer classes. At that time the Dairy, at the junction of the Hampstead Road and Kentish Town Road, was a rural cottage, furnished with forms and benches for the pedestrians to rest upon the road-side, whilst its master and mistress served out milk fresh from the cow to all who came."
The Euston Road
(New Road) was at the time of its formation in the eighteenth century, the boundary line for limiting the "ruinous rage for building" on the north side of the town. It was made by virtue of an Act of Parliament passed in the reign of George II. (1756), after violent objections of the Duke of Bedford, who opposed its construction on the ground of its approaching too near to Bedford House, the duke’s town mansion. The Duke of Grafton, on the other hand, strenuously supported it, and after a fierce legal battle it was ultimately decided that the road should be formed.
In the Gentleman’s Magazine for 1755 there is a "ground plan" of the New Road, from Islington to Edgware Road, showing the then state of the ground (and the names of the proprietors) between Oxford Street and the New Road. The Act of Parliament for the formation of this great thoroughfare directed that no building should be erected "within fifty feet of the New Road."
In Gwynn’s London Improved
published in the first decade of the 1800s, it is stated that "the present mean appearance of the backs of the houses and hovels have rendered this approach to the capital a scene of confusion and deformity, extremely unbecoming the character of a great and opulent city." Gwynn’s remarks applied aptly to the quarter of a mile of the New Road which lies between Gower Street
North, where the old Westgate Turnpike formerly stood, and the eastern entrance to Regent
’s Park. Here the road was narrow, and perpetually obstructed by wagons
In course of time, an improvement was made and that part of the road was widened by the removal of some obtruding houses, and the thoroughfare made as nearly as possible of one uniform width all along, with the exception of the hundred yards immediately to the west and east of the Adam and Eve
at the junction of the Euston Road
, Hampstead Road and Tottenham Court Road
After constructing the Metropolitan Railway before 1863 using ’cut and cover’, the company re-made the roadway.
At the corner of the Euston Road
and Hampstead Road was a public house. Nearly on the site of what is now Tolmers Square
, was a reservoir of the New River Company, surrounded with a grove of trees - removed around 1860.
The "Adam and Eve
" as late as 1832 was quite a rural inn, only one storey in height, "with spacious gardens at the side and in the rear, a fore-court with large timber trees, and tables and benches for out-door customers. In the gardens were fruit-trees and bowers and arbours for tea-drinking parties. In the rear there were no houses at all; now there is a town."
An advertisement in the public journals in September, 1718, tells us how that "there is a strange and wonderful fruit growing at the ’Adam and Eve
,’ at Tottenham Court, called a ’Calabath’, which is five feet and a half round, where any person may see the same gratis."
The rural nature of the neighbourhood of the Adam and Eve
can be seen from an advert which appeared in 1708:—"At Tottenham Court, near St. Giles’s, and within less than a mile of London, a very good Farm House, with outhouses and above seventy acres of extraordinary good pastures and meadows, with all conveniences proper for a cowman, are to be let, together or in parcels, and there is dung ready to lay on. Enquire further at Mr. Bolton’s, at the sign of the ’Crown,’ in Tottenham Court aforesaid, or at ’Landon’s Coffee House,’ over against Somerset House, Strand."
The first street to the north of the "Adam and Eve
" in the Hampstead Road became called Eden Street - now gone.
The streets on the west side on Hampstead Road are mostly named after the first names of the family of the owner of the land, such as Henry, Charles, Frederick, William, Robert, and Edward Streets.
Henry Street became Brock Street
. Charles Street disappeared when Drummond Street
’s name was extended westwards. Frederick Street became William Road
and Edward Street, Varndell Street
At the corner of Charles Street (formerly Sol’s Row) was the "Sol’s Arms," which is immortalised by Dickens in "Bleak House." It derives its name from the Sol’s Society, an institution which was conducted somewhat upon the principles of freemasonry. They used to hold their meetings at the "Queen of Bohemia’s Head," in Drury Lane; but on the pulling down of that house the society was dissolved. In Sol’s Row, David Wilkie, the artist, resided for some time, and there painted his "Blind Fiddler." We found him afterwards in the more fashionable suburb of Kensington, Each of the above-mentioned streets cross at right angles a broader and more important thoroughfare, called Stanhope Street
, which runs parallel with the Hampstead Road.
The remaining streets on the west side of Hampstead Road have other designations: Rutland Street, Granby Street and Mornington Crescent, which connects the road with Camden High Street
. Granby Street commemorates the English general, the Marquis of Granby. Mornington Crescent compliments the Earl of Mornington, then Governor General of India and the brother of the Duke of Wellington.
Charles Dickens, when about twelve years old, was sent to a school in Hampstead Road, close to the corner of Mornington Place and Granby Street and called Wellington House Academy. At this time Dickens was living with his parents, in "a small street leading out of Seymour Street, north of Mr. Judkin’s Chapel." Whilst here he would "ramble over the Field of the Forty Footsteps
On the eastern side of the Hampstead Road, the Old King’s Head
at the corner opposite to the Adam and Eve
presented an "awkward break in the uniform width of the Euston Road
", by projecting some feet beyond its neighbours, and so narrowing the thoroughfare.
To the north of this tavern much of the land facing Eden Street was not built upon until about 1860. Here were large waterworks and a reservoir.
, the next road to the north, extends along by the front of Euston station. This street crosses George Street, which runs from Gower Street
to Hampstead Road. Between George Street and Cardington Street
is St. James’s Church, formerly a chapel of ease to the mother church of St. James’s, Piccadilly.
The Russell family owned the land further to the north - the names of several of the streets and squares commemorate them and a considerable part of the district was originally called Bedford New Town.
- now disappeared beneath railway tracks - was not a square but a triangle. It was named after Ampthill Park in Bedfordshire, formerly the seat of the Earls of Upper Ossory, but afterwards the property of the ducal house of Bedford, to whom the land about this part belonged.
faces two sides of a triangular plot of ground, facing Mornington Crescent called after the Earl of Harrington, one of whose daughters married the seventh Duke of Bedford.Source: Euston Road and Hampstead Road | British History Online
Citations, sources, links and further reading
|VIEW THE EUSTON AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE EUSTON AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE EUSTON AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE EUSTON AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE EUSTON AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
Euston was the first inter-city railway station in London. It opened on 20 July 1837 as the terminus of the London and Birmingham Railway.
The site was selected in the early 1830s by George and Robert Stephenson, engineers of the London and Birmingham Railway. The area was then mostly farmland at the edge of the expanding city of London. The station was named after
in Suffolk, the ancestral home of the Dukes of Grafton, who were the main landowners in the area.
Objections to the station by local farmers meant that, when the Act authorising construction of the line was passed in 1833, the terminus was relocated to Chalk Farm. However, these objections were overcome, and in 1835 an Act authorising construction of the station at its originally planned site was passed, and construction went ahead.
The original station was built by William Cubitt. It was designed by the classically trained architect Philip Hardwick and initially it had only two platforms, one for departures and one for arrivals. Also designed by Hardwick was a 72 foot-high Doric propylaeum, the largest ever built, erected at the entrance as a portico and which became known as the
The station grew rapidly over the following years as traffic increased. It was greatly expanded in the 1840s, with the opening in 1849 of the spectacular Great Hall, designed by Hardwick's son Philip Charles Hardwick in classical style.
In the early 1960s it was decided that a larger station was required. Because of the restricted layout of track and tunnels at the northern end, enlargement could be accomplished only by expanding southwards over the area occupied by the Great Hall and the Arch. Amid much public outcry, the station building including the Arch was demolished in 1961-2 and replaced by a new building. Its opening in 1968 followed the electrification of the West Coast Main Line.
A few remnants of the older station remain: two Portland stone entrance lodges and a war memorial. A statue of Robert Stephenson by Carlo Marochetti, previously in the old ticket hall, stands in the forecourt.
On 12 May 1907 the City and South London Railway (C&SLR, now the Bank branch of the Northern Line) opened a station at Euston as the terminus of a new extension from its existing station at Angel.