Hardinge Road, NW10
Road in/near Kensal Rise, existing between the 1930s and now
Print-friendly version of this page Former location of the National Athletic Grounds
Hardinge Road was named after Lord Hardinge, Viceroy of India.
It was quite late in its development - moving from fields to houses only in the 1930s.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Kensal Rise railway station opened in 1873 as Kensal Green, replacing Kensal Green & Harlesden railway station which opened in 1861 at the crossing of Green Lane (later Wrottesley Road
), lying in between the present station and Willesden Junction. The present station was renamed Kensal Rise in 1890.
The names Kensal Green and Kensal Rise are used somewhat interchangeably by non-residents to denote the same district, although residents differentiate between the areas based on proximity to the local tube and railway stations.
Roughly speaking, the area west of Chamberlayne Road
, north of Harrow Road
and south of Kensal Rise railway station is considered Kensal Green while that to the east of Chamberlayne Road
and north of the station is considered Kensal Rise. These boundaries are by no means fixed however and some residents are known to use both terms with little regard for geographical accuracy.