High Cross Road, N17

Road in Seven Sisters

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Road · Seven Sisters · N17 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


High Cross Road is one of the streets of London in the N17postal area.

VIEW THE SEVEN SISTERS AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE SEVEN SISTERS AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE SEVEN SISTERS AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE SEVEN SISTERS AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE SEVEN SISTERS AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Address not listed? Add it here...
Go to Seven Sisters

Seven Sisters

Seven Sisters’s name is derived from seven elms which were planted in a circle with a walnut tree at their centre on an area of common land known as Page Green.


In his early seventeenth-century work, Brief Description of Tottenham, local vicar and historian William Bedwell singled out the Page Green walnut tree for particular mention. He wrote of it as a local ’arboreal wonder’ which ’flourished without growing bigger’. He described it as popularly associated with the burning of an unknown Protestant. There is also speculation that the tree was ancient, possibly going back as far as Roman times, perhaps standing in a sacred grove or pagan place of worship.

The walnut vanished at some point, leaving the circle of elms. These were first recorded as the Seven Sisters in 1732.

The location of the seven trees can be tracked through a series of maps from 1619 on. From 1619 they are shown in a position which today corresponds with the western tip of Page Green at the junction of Broad Lane and the High Road. With urbanisation radically changing the area, the ’Seven Sisters’ had been replanted by 1876, still on Page Green, but further to the east. Contemporary maps show them remaining in this new location until 1955.

The trees formed a well-known landmark. So much so that a new thoroughfare connecting Tottenham to Camden Town in 1840 was named Seven Sisters Road.

In 1852, the originals were in a sorry state and new trees were planted by the seven daughters of a Mr J McRae. These elms lasted just 20 years, when a newspaper described "six venerable and withered trunks" (perhaps the stumps of the originals were still hanging around). A new circle was planted on 2 March 1886 when local siblings called Rosa, Alice, Amy, Edith, Julia, Georgina and Matilda Hibbert — the only family in Tottenham to contain seven sisters and no brothers — did the honours.

Over the years, the sisters returned to view their handiwork. Matilda’s was the only one that wouldn’t take. According to a later interview, the sister "pointed to her withered tree and said, ’I’m the doomed one’". Alas, her premonition came true. Mathilda passed away in 1900. Her six siblings lived on, regrouping at the elms each year. Five trees had died by 1928 when three of the surviving Hibberts were recommissioned to "make good the deficiency". The six sisters continued their reunion until at least 1937, bringing the original commemorative brooches and spades used in 1886. One of these spades can still be seen at the Bruce Castle Museum in Tottenham.

*L1491308014L*Further plantings took place in 1955, courtesy of sisters named Basten. Perhaps because elms had proven too fragile for the ground, this iteration opted for Italian polar, and the trees were planted in two clumps rather than a ring. The most recent ceremony drew on the digging skills of five local families, all blessed with seven sisters. This time hornbeams were chosen. The still-standing ring was installed at the centre of Page Green in 1996. You can view it today, although there’s no obvious plaque or information board recalling the centuries-old tradition.

The current ring of hornbeam trees was planted in 1997 in a ceremony led by five families of seven sisters.

Seven Sisters station was constructed by the Great Eastern Railway on its Stoke Newington & Edmonton Railway line and opened on 22 July 1872. On 1 January 1878, the GER opened a branch line, the Palace Gates Line, from Seven Sisters station to Noel Park and later that year to Palace Gates (Wood Green) station.

The first section of the Victoria line opened on 1 September 1968 serving Seven Sisters, although a shared entrance and interchange facilities with the surface station were not opened until December 1968. The original GER entrance to the station was situated in West Green Road at the north end of the surface station, but the new combined entrance was opened in Seven Sisters Road at the south end on the site of a former wood merchants yard, connecting to the west end of the Victoria line platforms. The original (1872) entrance was closed at that time.

The section of Victoria line between Seven Sisters and Finsbury Park stations is the longest between adjacent stations in deep level tunnels on the London Underground network. During the planning phase of the Victoria line, thought was given to converting Manor House into a Victoria line station and diverting the Piccadilly line in new tunnels directly from Finsbury Park to Turnpike Lane via Harringay Green Lanes, but the idea was abandoned because of the inconvenience this would cause, as well as the cost.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Page Green Common:   Page Green Common is a much reduced area of common land.
Seven Sisters:   Seven Sisters’s name is derived from seven elms which were planted in a circle with a walnut tree at their centre on an area of common land known as Page Green.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Angelica Court, N17 · Antill Road, N15 · Ashley Road, N17 · Ashmount Road, N15 · Beaconsfield Road, N15 · Bedford Road, N15 · Bernard Road, N15 · Bream Close, N17 · Broad Lane, N15 · Burlington Road, N17 · Chesnut Grove, N17 · Chesnut Road, N17 · Clyde Road, N15 · Coleraine Works, N17 · Colless Road, N15 · Collingwood Road, N15 · Colsterworth Road, N15 · Constable Crescent, N15 · Constable Cresent, N15 · Devon Close, N17 · Dowsett Road, N17 · Elizabeth Clyde Close, N15 · Erskine Crescent, N17 · Factory Lane, N17 · Fairbanks Road, N17 · Ferry Lane, N17 · Fountayne Road, N15 · Glendish Road, N17 · Hale Road, N17 · Hale Wharf, N17 · Halefield Road, N17 · Hanover Road, N15 · Herbert Road, N15 · High Cross Road, N17 · High Road, N15 · Holcombe Road, N17 · Imperail Works, N15 · Imperial Works, N15 · Jansons Road, N15 · Kemble Road, N17 · Kessock Close, N17 · Ladysmith Road, N17 · Lawrence Road, N15 · Lee Valley Techno Park, N17 · Lee Valley Technopark, N17 · Lockwood Ind Park, N17 · Markfield Road, N15 · Mill Mead Ind Centre, N17 · Mill Mead Road, N17 · Millmead Business Centre Millmead Road, N17 · Millmead Business Centre Milmead Ind Centre, N17 · Millmead Business Centre, N17 · Millmead Road, N17 · Milmead Business Centre, N17 · Milmead Ind Centre, N17 · Mitchley Road, N17 · Monument Way, N17 · Norman Road, N15 · Page Green Road, N15 · Park View Road, N17 · Parkhurst Road, N17 · Pembroke Road, N15 · Philip Lane, N15 · Portland Road, N15 · Poynton Road, N17 · Pymmes Close, N17 · Rainbow Works, N15 · Rangemoor Road, N15 · Reed Road, N17 · Reedham Close, N17 · Rosebery Avenue, N17 · Rosebery Ind Park, N17 · Rox House, N17 · Saltram Close, N15 · Scotland Green, N17 · Sherringham Avenue, N17 · Siddons Road, N17 · Somerset Road, N17 · South Side, N15 · Springfield Road, N15 · Stainby Road, N15 · Station Road, N17 · Stoleleigh Court, N17 · Stonebridge Centre, N15 · Stoneleigh Road, N17 · Summerhill Road, N15 · Talbot Road, N15 · Thackeray Avenue, N17 · The Hale, N17 · The High Cross Centre, N15 · Tottenham Hale Retail Park, N15 · Town Hall Approach Road, N15 · Tynemouth Road, N15 · Tynemouth Terrace, N15 · Ventnor Terrace, N15 · Victoria Road, N15 · Wakefield Road, N15 · Walton Road, N15 · Watermead House, E9 · Willoughby Lane Industrial Estate, N17 · Winns Mews, N15 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

What is High Cross Road, N17 like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/

Links

Seven Sisters
Facebook Page
Tottenham Hale
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.