High HolbornHolborn is both an area and also the name of the area's principal street, known as High Holborn between St. Giles's High Street and Gray's Inn Road and then Holborn Viaduct between Holborn Circus and Newgate Street.
was part of the old road from Newgate and the Tower to the gallows at Tyburn.
was formerly split into sections. From Farringdon Street to Fetter Lane
used to be known as Holborn
Hill; from Fetter Lane
to Brooke Street
, and from Brooke Street
to Drury Lane
as High Holborn
now extends from Holborn
Viaduct to Holborn
Bars, and High Holborn
from the Bars to Drury Lane
One of the first great improvements effected in Holborn
was its being paved, in 1417, at the expense of Henry V.
, at what is now Farringdon Street, there was of old a stone bridge over the Fleet, called "Oldbourne Bridge." Agas’s map of London, in the time of Elizabeth I, represents Holborn
as a very different sort of a place from what it is now. All the ground from Shoe Lane to Chancery Lane
was then gardens with trees and shrubs; and long before Agas’s day part of that area was rural belonging to the see of Bangor.
Bars" used to stand a little west of Brooke Street
. They marked the termination of the City Liberties in that direction. The spot is now shown by two granite obelisks bearing the City arms. The Corporation of London formerly received a penny and twopenny toll from the carts and carriages of non-freemen entering the City. These tolls were levied at the six bars, including Holborn
The area's first mention is in a charter of Westminster Abbey, by King Edgar, dated to 959. This mentions 'the old wooden church of St Andrew' (St Andrew, Holborn
). The name Holborn
may be derived from the Middle English hol
for hollow, and bourne
, a brook, referring to the River Fleet as it ran through a steep valley to the east.
It was at first outside the City's jurisdiction and a part of Ossulstone Hundred in Middlesex. The original Bars were the boundary of the City of London from 1223, when the City's jurisdiction was extended beyond the Walls, at Newgate, into the suburb here, as far as the point where the Bars where erected, until 1994 when the border moved to the junction of Chancery Lane
. In 1394 the Ward of Farringdon Without was created, but only the south side of Holborn
was under its jurisdiction with some minor properties, such as parts of Furnival's Inn, on the northern side.
District was created in 1855, consisting of the civil parishes and extra-parochial places of Glasshouse Yard
, Saffron Hill
, Hatton Garden
, Ely Rents and Ely Place
, St Andrew Holborn
Above the Bars with St George the Martyr and St Sepulchre. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn
was created in 1900, consisting of the former area of the Holborn
District and the St Giles District, excluding Glasshouse Yard
and St Sepulchre, which went to the Metropolitan Borough of Finsbury. The Metropolitan Borough of Holborn
was abolished in 1965 and its area now forms part of the London Borough of Camden.
In the 18th century, Holborn
was the location of the infamous Mother Clap's molly house but in the modern era High Holborn
has become a centre for entertainment venues to suit more general tastes: 22 inns or taverns were recorded in the 1860s and the Holborn
Empire, originally Weston's Music Hall, stood between 1857 and 1960, when it was pulled down after structural damage sustained in the Blitz. The theatre premièred the first full-length feature film in 1914, The World, the Flesh and the Devil
, a 50-minute melodrama filmed in Kinemacolour.
Charles Dickens took up residence in Furnival's Inn, on the site of the former Prudential building designed by Alfred Waterhouse now named Holborn Bars
. Dickens put his character Pip, in Great Expectations, in residence at Barnard's Inn opposite, now occupied by Gresham College. Staple Inn, notable as the promotional image for Old Holborn
tobacco, is nearby. The three of these were Inns of Chancery. The most northerly of the Inns of Court, Gray's Inn, is in Holborn
, as is Lincoln's Inn: the area has been associated with the legal professions since mediaeval times, and the name of the local militia (now Territorial Army unit, the Inns of Court & City Yeomanry) still reflects that. Subsequently the area diversified and become recognisable as the modern street.
A plaque stands at number 120 commemorating Thomas Earnshaw's invention of the Marine chronometer, which facilitated long-distance travel. At the corner of Hatton Garden
was the old family department store of Gamages. Until 1992, the London Weather Centre was located in the street. The Prudential insurance company relocated in 2002. The Daily Mirror offices used to be directly opposite it, but the site is now occupied by Sainsbury's head office.
, the centre of the diamond trade, was leased to a favourite of Queen Elizabeth I, Sir Christopher Hatton at the insistence of the Queen to provide him with an income. Behind the Prudential Building lies the Anglo-Catholic church of St Alban the Martyr.
In the early 21st century, Holborn
has become the site of new offices and hotels: for example, the old neoclassical Pearl Assurance building near the junction with Kingsway
was converted into an hotel in 1999.
station is located at the junction of High Holborn
. Situated on the Piccadilly
and Central Lines, it is the only station common to the two lines, although the two lines also cross each other three times in West London.
The station was opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly
and Brompton Railway (GNP&BR, now the Piccadilly
Line) on 15 December 1906 with the name Holborn (Kingsway)
was a new road, cutting south from High Holborn
through an area of cleared slums to Strand
. The suffix was dropped from tube maps in the 1960s.