Hillyard Street, SW9

Road in/near Oval, existing between 1837 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
3.231.229.89 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Oval · SW9 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Anne Hillyard was the widow of a clergyman who helped fund Stockwell Orphanage in 1867.


Hillyard Street was heavily bombed in the Second World War and there are no surviving original buildings.

The street was originally called Russell Street, named to honour Lord John Russell who was twice Prime Minister in the mid-19th century.


Main source: Oval History
Further citations and sources


xxx

User unknown/public domain


 

Oval

Oval tube station in Kennington is named after The Oval Cricket Ground, which it serves.

The station opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the City & South London Railway. It opened as Kennington Oval, and was designed by Thomas Phillips Figgis with elements of early Arts and Crafts and neo-classical detailing. The structure was made distinctive by a lead-covered dome with cupola lantern and weathervane which housed some of the lift equipment; the main part of the building was of red brick. The station building was rebuilt in the early 1920s when the line was modernised and was refurbished during late 2007/early 2008 at street level with a modern tiling scheme inside and out, giving the station a more modern look. Reflecting its proximity to the cricket ground, the internal decorative tiling features large images of cricketers in various stances.
Print-friendly version of this page