Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.
Hinde Street was built from 1777 by Samuel Adams and named after Jacob Hinde who was the son-in-law of the landwoner Thomas Thayer.
Hinde Street is home to a number of notable buildings. The Hinde Street Methodist Church, a grade II listed building with Historic England. It was built 1807-10, and rebuilt in the 1880s.
Number 2 on the south side is a Portman Estate development terraced town house built around 1790. The building is grade II listed and occupied on the ground floor by Bishop Instruments and Bows.
Numbers 11 and 12 on the north side between Manchester Square
and Thayer Street
are also Portman Estate terraced town houses that have shops on the ground floor and flats above. Both are grade II listed.
The novelist Rose Macaulay (1881-1958) lived at Hinde House on the north side from 1941 until her death.
User unknown/public domain
Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.
Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's
, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne
called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne
, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.
Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.
Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.
Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.
The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.