Holders Hill Road, NW7

Road in/near Mill Hill East, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
34.229.131.116 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302020Fullscreen map
Road · Mill Hill East · NW7 ·
December
29
2019

Holders Hill Road was a track in existence by the 14th century.


Holders Hill was ‘Oldershyll’ in 1584 - associated with a family called Holder with Roger le Holdere mentioned in 1294. It was in the northern part of Hendon borough separated from Finchley by the Dollis Brook and owned by All Souls, Oxford.

Building development was started by C.F.Hancock in the 1870s but the construction of the North Circular in the late 1920s increased demand for housing.

After the Great War strips of land were sold by the cemetery and the golf club and thus ribbon development grew up along Holders Hill Road.

Hendon Cemetery was founded in 1892 by the Abney Park Cemetery Company on the site of Dollis Farm with the Crematorium added in 1922. The Gatehouse was by A. A. Bonella in Old English style, with half-timbered entrance arch and roughcast walls with Gothic lettering in stone.

Dollis Farm. This was on the west side of the road near the junction which is now Holders Hill Circus. Jeremy Bentham used it as a retreat and wrote there. Demolished 1930.

Hendon Golf Club was laid out on the site of Holders Hill Farm.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx



 

Mill Hill East

Mill Hill East station is on the High Barnet branch of the Northern Line, and is the only station on a branch from Finchley Central.

Mill Hill East station was built by the Edgware, Highgate and London Railway (EH&LR) and was opened as Mill Hill on 22 August 1867 by the Great Northern Railway (GNR) (which had taken over the EH&LR) in rural Middlesex. The station was on a line from Finsbury Park to Edgware via Highgate.

The EH&LR was built as a double track formation, but only a single track was laid, with the intention of doubling the track when business developed. However, when the GNR opened a branch from Finchley Central to High Barnet in April 1872 traffic on that section was greater, and the second track was never laid from Finchley Central to Edgware. For most of its history the service between those two stations was operated as a shuttle.

The station opened as Mill Hill and was given its present name in 1928.

The area around Mill Hill East has still the air of a village about it. It is quiet and very green with plenty of parks and golf courses to hand.

Parts of the eastern side of Mill Hill have recently undergone redevelopment, with the old gas works replaced by a Waitrose supermarket and housing developments. The small local retail area at Mill Hill East is at “Kelly’s Corner” (officially Holders Hill Circus) east of the station. To the south of Mill Hill East are Copthall and Holders Hill.

The United Kingdom / Carl Zeiss / Bausch & Lomb Optical Works was established at Mill Hill East in 1912 and demolished in about 1990, to be replaced by a large building owned by the Jehovah Witnesses, to complement their nearby Watchtower House built on the site of the former Bittacy House.

Mill Hill East is the least used station on the Northern Line with only 10,000 passengers per week.
Print-friendly version of this page