Holmesdale Avenue, Richmond, Surrey

Road is in an area which may have existed since the nineteenth century or before. Mainly Edwardian housing

Albany Passage · Alexandra Road · Alexandra Road · Atwood Avenue · Audley Road · Aynescombe Path · Azbuka Russian-English Bilingual School · Bank Lane · Beatrice Road · Beaufort Road · Beaumont Avenue · Beechcroft Road · Berwyn Road · Bexhill Road · Bicester Road · Bulls Alley · Burdenshott Avenue · Cambrian Road · Cambridge Road · Carlton Road · Carrington Road · Catherine Drive · Cedar Terrace · Chaucer Avenue · Chertsey Court · Chester Avenue · Chisholm Road · Chislehurst Road · Christ’s Church of England Comprehensive Secondary School · Christchurch Road · Church Avenue · Church Path · Clevedon Road · Clifford Avenue · Clifford Avenue · Clydesdale Gardens · Colston Road · Connaught Avenue · Courtlands · Coval Gardens · Coval Lane · Cromwell Place · Dan Mason Drive · Dan Mason Drive · Dan Mason Drive · Dancer Road · Darell Primary and Nursery School · Darell Road · Deanhill Road · Denbigh Gardens · Denehurst Gardens · Denton Road · Derby Road · Drummonds Place · Ducks Walk · Duncan Road · Earl Road · Eastbourne Gardens · Ellesmere Road · Elm Road · Elsinore Way · Evelyn Gardens · Fair Views · Fairlawns · Fairlawns · Farrer Court · Firs Avenue · Fitzwilliam Avenue · Friars Stile Road · Garden Road · Gibson Mews · Gilpin Avenue · Graemesdyke Avenue · Grand Parade · Greville Road · Hanson Close · Haversham Close · Hester Terrace · Hill Street · Holy Trinity Church of England Primary School · Houblon Road · Jocelyn Road · Kelvin Drive · Kew Foot Road · Kew Road · King George Square · King Street · King’s House School · Kings Farm Avenue · Kings Ride Gate · Kings Road · Kingsway · Lambert Avenue · Lancaster Cottages · Lancaster Park · Langdon Place · Larches Avenue · Larkfield Road · Leinster Avenue · Lichfield Gardens · Lion Gate Gardens · Longfield Drive · Lower Grove Road · Lower Mortlake Road · Lower Richmond Road · Lower Richmond Road · Manor Gardens · Manor Grove · Manor Park · Manor Road · Marchmont Road · Market Road · Marksbury Avenue · Marlborough Road · Martindale · McDougall Court · Model Cottages · Monroe Drive · Montague Road · Montpelier Row · Moore Close · Morley Road · Mortlake Hall Children’s Centre · Mortlake High Street · Mortlake Road · Mortlake Road · Mortlake Station Passage · Mount Ararat Road · Nightingale Lane · Niton Road · North Road · Oaklands Road · Observatory Road · Old Deer Park · Old Palace Lane · Old Palace Yard · Onslow Avenue · Onslow Road · Orchard Rise · Orchard Road · Ormonde Road · Palmers Road · Palmerston Road · Paradise Road · Park Drive · Park House Gardens · Park Road · Parklands Close · Parliament Mews · Peldon Court · Penrhyn Crescent · Percival Road · Petersham Road · PO Box 28843 · PO Box 28869 · PO Box 38536 · Poplar Court Parade · Portman Avenue · Priory Road · Pyrland Road · Queens Crescent · Queen’s Ride · Raleigh Road · Ravensbourne Road · Red Lion Street · Reid Court · Retreat Road · Rhizotron · Richmond · Richmond Bridge Mansions · Richmond Green · Riverdale Gardens · Riverside · Rosedale Road · Rosemary Gardens · Rosemary Terrace · Rosemont Road · Rosslyn Road · Rothesay Avenue · Ryde Place · Saint Leonards Road · Salisbury Road · Sandycoombe Road · Selwyn Avenue · Shalstone Road · Sheen Common Drive · Sheen Common Drive · Sheen Court Road · Sheen Gate Gardens · Sheen Lane Centre · Sheen Lane · Sheen Mount Primary School · Ship Lane · Somerton Avenue · St Leonards Road · St Mary Magdalen’s Catholic Primary School · St. Leonards Road · St. Mary’s Grove · Stanley Road · Stanmore Gardens · Stonehill Close · Tangier Road · Temple Road · Temple Sheen Road · Temple Sheen · Temple Shen Road · Templesheen Road · Thames Bank · Thames Path · Thames Path · Thamesside Centre · The Barons · The Byeway · The Close · The haven · The Mall · The Old Vicarage School · The Quadrant · The Vineyard School · The Vineyard · Thompson Avenue · Thomson House School · Thornton Road · Tower House School · Townshend Terrace · Trehern Road · Twickenham Road · Uplands Close · Upper Richmond Road West · Waldeck Road · Warming Close · Warren Avenue · Watney Road · Well Lane · West Temple Sheen · Westhay Gardens · Williams Lane · Willoughby Road · Windham Road · Windsor Road · Winter Box Walk · Wrights Walk
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Richmond · SW14 · Contributed by The Underground Map

Holmesdale Avenue is one of the streets of London in the SW14 postal area.

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



Richmond lies on a meander of the River Thames, with a view protected by a specific Act of Parliament.

Richmond was founded following Henry VII's building of Richmond Palace in the 16th century, from which the town derives its name. (The Palace itself was named after Henry's earldom of Richmond, North Yorkshire.) During this era the town and palace were particularly associated with Elizabeth I, who spent her last days here. During the 18th century Richmond Bridge was completed and many Georgian terraces were built, particularly around Richmond Green and on Richmond Hill. These remain well preserved and many have listed building architectural or heritage status. The opening of the railway station in 1846 was a significant event in the absorption of the town into a rapidly expanding London.

Richmond was formerly part of the ancient parish of Kingston upon Thames in the county of Surrey. In 1890 the town became a municipal borough, which was later extended to include Kew, Ham, Petersham and part of Mortlake (North Sheen). The municipal borough was abolished in 1965 when, as a result of local government reorganisation, Richmond was transferred from Surrey to Greater London.

Beyond the grounds of the old palace, Richmond remained mostly agricultural land until the 18th century. White Lodge, in the middle of what is now Richmond Park, was built as a hunting lodge for George II and during this period the number of large houses in their own grounds – such as Asgill House and Pembroke Lodge – increased significantly. These were followed by the building of further important houses including Downe House, Wick House and The Wick on Richmond Hill, as this area became an increasingly fashionable place to live. Richmond Bridge was completed in 1777 to replace a ferry crossing that connected Richmond town centre on the east bank with its neighbouring district of East Twickenham. Today, this, together with the well-preserved Georgian terraces that surround Richmond Green and line Richmond Hill to its crest, now has listed building status.

As Richmond continued to prosper and expand during the 19th century, much luxurious housing was built on the streets that line Richmond Hill, as well as shops in the town centre to serve the increasing population. In July 1892 the Corporation formed a joint-stock company, the Richmond (Surrey) Electric Light and Power Company, and this wired the town for electricity by around 1896.

The Richmond and West End Railway (R&WER) opened the first station at Richmond on 27 July 1846, as the terminus of its line from Clapham Junction, on a site to the south of the present through platforms, which later became a goods yard and where a multi-storey car park now stands. The Windsor, Staines and South Western Railway (WS&SWR) extended the line westward, resiting the station to the west side of The Quadrant, on the extended tracks and slightly west of the present through platforms. Both the R&WER and WS&SWR were subsidiary companies of the London and South Western Railway (L&SWR).

On 1 June 1877, the District Railway linked its then terminus at Hammersmith to the nearby L&SWR tracks east of the present Ravenscourt Park station. The District Railway began running trains over the L&SWR tracks to Richmond.
Print-friendly version of this page


John Rocque Map of Richmond (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area much larger than Richmond itself, stretching out to Hounslow, Chiswick and Roehampton.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.