Jason Court, W1U

Road in/near Marylebone, existing until now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
100.24.46.10 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Marylebone · W1U · Contributed by The Underground Map
MAY
12
2018
Jason Court W1
Credit: The Underground Map

Jason Court was part of the ancient village of Marylebone.

The court runs into Marylebone Lane. A stroll along its twisting course will at once reveal a complete contrast with to the symmetrical layout of the surrounding streets. This very distinctly indicates that it was once nothing more than a pathway along the side of the Tyburn Brook providing an access route to the village, clustered around the parish church of St Mary. Indeed it is the Tyburn which gives the area part of its name.

In the middle ages when this was a suburb village, surrounded by fields and well outside the commercial city, a small church, dedicated to St John, was built on the site where Marble Arch now stands. Almost on its doorstep stood the gallows. Served by the main road of Tyburn Way (Oxford Street) it was an easy location to reach and on execution days the area became choked with spectators, all straining to catch a glimpse of the noosed victims. As the crowds gathered, so did the thieves; there were rich pickings to be made from the densely packed throng preoccupied by the gory detail. By the early 15th century the villagers were at the end of their tether and decided to quit St John’s and establish themselves about half a mile up stream where they built a new church. To completely rid themselves of all association with Tyburn gallows they abandoned the title of St John and dedicated the new church to St Mary.

In those days, when outlying areas were small and local populations were insignificant, places were often identified by the title of the parish church. This area, therefore, came to be known as St Mary by the Bourne. Over the years ’Saint’ has been dropped and ’Mary by the Bourne’ has been corrupted to the present day Marylebone.

John’s Court became Jason Court.

There are a number of little byways in the vicinity of Marylebone Lane: Hind Mews, just north of Jason Court on the west side of the lane, and between Benting Street and Bulstrode Street on the east side is Benting Mews. Still further north on the east side of the lane is Bulstrode Place and a little further on is Cross Keys Close. To the east of Marylebone Lane on the north side of Wigmore Street is Easleys Mews. All are cul-de-sac walkways and provide additional evidence of the ancient origin of this locality.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



ADD A STORY TO JASON COURT
VIEW THE MARYLEBONE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE MARYLEBONE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE MARYLEBONE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE MARYLEBONE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE MARYLEBONE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 Read blog
We have featured this location on a blog entry.
Please note that our blog will open in a new window.

Marylebone

Marylebone - so good they named it once but pronounced it seven different ways.

Marylebone is an area in the City of Westminster North of Oxford Street and South of Regents Park. Edgware Road forms the Western boundary. Portland Place forms the eastern boundary with the area known as Fitzrovia.

Marylebone gets its name from a church, called St Mary's, that was built on the bank of a small stream or bourne called the Tyburn. The church and the surrounding area later became known as St Mary at the bourne, which over time became shortened to its present form Marylebone.

Today the area is mostly residential with a stylish High Street. It is also notable for its Arab population on its far western border around Edgware Road.

Marylebone station, opened in 1899, is the youngest of London's mainline terminal stations, and also one of the smallest, having opened with half the number of platforms originally planned.

Originally the London terminus of the ill-fated Great Central Main Line, it now serves as the terminus of the Chiltern Main Line route.

The underground station is served by the Bakerloo Line, opening on 27 March 1907 by the Baker Street and Waterloo Railway under the name Great Central (following a change from the originally-intended name Lisson Grove). It was renamed Marylebone in 1917.

OTHER LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
Abingdon House School · Admiral Court · Aldburgh Mews · All Bar One · Ashland Place · Baker Street · Balcome Street · Balls Brothers · Barley Mow · Bonbonniere · Bond Street · Bonds · Brown Hart Gardens · Brown Street · Brunswick Mews · Bryanston Mews West · Bryanston Square · Bulstrode Street · Cavendish Square · Chandos Street · Clenston Mews · Davies Street · Dean’s Mews · Devonshire Arms · Devonshire Close · Devonshire Mews South · Devonshire Street · Dover Castle · Duchess Street · Duke Of York · Dunstable Mews · Edwards Mews · Forset Street · Gee’s Court · Gigis Mayfair · Gloucester Place · Gunmakers · Hampden Gurney CofE Primary School · Harley Street · Hayes Place · Henry Holland · Hinde Street · Home House · Hyett's hand-drawn 1807 map · International Community School · Iron Duke · Kendall Place · Kings Head · Knox Street · L’Ecole Internationale Franco-Anglaise Ltd · Lamb And Flag · Lumley Street · Mandeville Place · Marlborough Head · Marylebone · Marylebone Children’s Centre Information Point · Marylebone Lane · Marylebone Road · Marylebone Road · Montagu Street · North Audley Canteen · Old Cavendish Street · On This Day in London: 4 November · Orchard Court · Orchard Court · Orchard Street · Oxford Street · Paddington Street · Palgrave Gardens · Park Crescent Mews East · Park Crescent Mews West · PO Box 70608 · Portland Place School · Portland Place · Portman Close · Portman Gate · Portman Square · Portman Street · Providence Court · Quebec Mews · Queen’s College London · Saint Vincent Street · Salisbury Place · Sedley Place · Southbank International School Westminster · Spread Eagle · St Andrews Mansions · St Mary’s Bryanston Square CofE School · St Vincent’s Catholic Primary School · St. Anselm’s Place · Stalbridge Street · The Angel In The Fields · The Arcade · The Bok Bar · The Cavendish · The Coachmakers Of Marylebone · The Cock & Lion · The Marylebone Tup · The Pontefract Castle · The Royal College of Nursing · The Running Horse · The St Marylebone CofE School · The Sylvia Young Theatre School · The Underground Map · The Wimpole · Three Kings’ Yard · Tudor Rose · Walmer Place · Wetherby Senior School · Weymouth Street · Wimpole Mews · Wyndham Mews · Wyndham Yard ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Oxford Circus
Facebook Page
Baker Street
Facebook Page
Bond Street
Facebook Page
Great Portland Street
Facebook Page
Green Park
Facebook Page
Marble Arch
Facebook Page
Regent’s Park
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cruchley's New Plan of London (1848) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
G. F. Cruchley

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.