Ladbroke Crescent, W11

Road in/near Notting Dale, existing between 1864 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
54.82.10.219 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · Notting Dale · W11 · Contributed by The Underground Map
July
6
2016


Ladbroke Crescent belongs to the third and final great period of building on the Ladbroke estate and the houses were constructed in the 1860s.

Development of this area had suddenly become more attractive with the opening in 1864 of the Hammersmith and City line of the Metropolitan Railway with a station on Ladbroke Grove (the station was originally called ‘Notting Hill’), and the introduction in the early 1860s of cheap workmen’s fares.

By that time the Ladbroke family had disposed of the land, either by selling the freehold or by giving 99-year peppercorn rents. The land on which Ladbroke Crescent lies was in the hands of the speculator and ex-Calcutta merchant Charles Blake, who had already developed successfully several other parts of the Ladbroke estate. In 1864, he granted a lease of the whole crescent to G. and T. Goodwin, builders. The normal pattern was no doubt followed, according to which the builder had to build houses meeting certain standards; he was then given a 99-year lease of the property which he could let, thus recovering his costs, but he had had to pay a ground rent to the landowner (typically £10 in Ladbroke Crescent). In early 1865, the Goodwins began advertising their new houses in the Times:

NOTTING-HILL. Genteel superior residences to be LET, in Ladbroke-crescent, 10 and 13 rooms, bathroom, plate glass, gas and every convenience. Rent 50 guineas and £75. Apply to G. and T. Goodwin, 4 Ladbroke-crescent, Ladbroke-road, close to Notting Hill Railway Station.

It is not clear how successful they were in attracting the sort of purchaser they had in mind. Some middle class families with usually one servant moved in. In 1900, for instance, the occupant of No. 4 was advertising for a ‘parlour maid, experienced, trustworthy, middle-aged, in a gentleman’s family. Good references.’ But the census indicates that most of the houses were soon in multi-occupation, or occupied by people letting rooms. In 1866, for instance, ‘furnished apartments, with or without board, for a lady and gentleman or two gentlemen’ were being advertised at No. 6, offering ‘every home comfort, with perfect cleanliness, may be relied on. An extra bedroom if required.’ And a bit later, the occupant of No. 20 was advertising a ‘parlour, with large bedroom upstairs, at 25s per week. Good cooking and attendance.’

In 1895, 7 Ladbroke Crescent harboured the Committee Rooms (office) of the North Kensington Conservative Association. During the first half of the 20th century, the area went steadily downhill, becoming more slummy and probably reaching its nadir in the 1950s, at the time of the Notting Hill Race Riots, when a 21-year old inhabitant of the Crescent was convicted of carrying offensive weapons, to whit a spanner and file, in Lancaster Road during the riots. Since then, however, the area has been steadily improving.

Source: Ladbroke Association



ADD A STORY TO LADBROKE CRESCENT
VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE NOTTING DALE AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Notting Dale

From Pigs and bricks to Posh and Becks...

As houses were springing up all over the rest of northern Kensington, one corner of the borough was developing into a slum whose notoriety was probably unsurpassed throughout London

It lay at the foot of the hill on which the Ladbroke estate was laid out, directly north of Pottery Lane, on badly draining clay soil between the Norland Estate and Notting Barns Farm.

Its first occupants were to give it two infamous names: the brick makers, who seemed to have arrived in the late lath century, and the pig-keepers, who moved there in the early l9th century.

To make bricks and tiles involved large excavations, which soon filled with stagnant water. The keeping of pigs entailed collecting refuse and offal from the kitchens of hotels and private houses, feeding most of it to pigs and boiling down the fat.

The combination of both bricks and pigs spelt disaster for the area.

Samuel Lake of Tottenham Court Road, a scavenger and chimney sweep by occupation was the first to keep pigs here and he was soon joined by the pig keepers of the Marble Arch area who had been forced out of their area by building development. The colony was at first sufficiently isolated to be able to go about their business unfettered; and by the time streets were being built nearby, the piggeries were so well established that developers simply steered clear.

Shacks sprang up wherever convenient for there was no building control in London at that time, and inevitably they were jumbled together with the pigs and the ponds: indeed often the three were combined, with humans sharing their roofs with animals and living directly over stagnant water: the animals at one stage outnumbered people by three to one.

The area’s unsanitary conditions had become so notorious that Charles Dickens ran a special feature on it in the first edition issue of his magazine Household Words.

The Piggeries and Brickyards were far from the sight and concern of the Vestry and its duties were taken up by charities, both religious and secular. But it was Kensington’s first Medical Officer of Health, Dr Francis Goodrich, who was given the formidable task of cleaning up the area. Goodrich stated that it was one of the most deplorable
spots not only in Kensington but in the whole of the metropolis.

Rather than manufacturing bricks, locals started to concentrate more on the making of pottery, mostly drainpipes, tiles and flower pots to supply the local building boom. This trade, however, gradually declined and business ceased by 1863, the same time as when the stagnant ’Ocean’ was filled in.

As far as the Piggeries were concerned strong opposition to a clean up came from the pig keepers themselves, as that was their only livelihood. And perversely the Vestry did not want them to lose the pigs because the families then could become a charge on the poor rate.

By 1878 Goodrich’s successor Dr Dudfield managed, however, to gradually reduce the number of pigs but it was not until the 1890’s that the last pig was banished.

The area nevertheless remained notorious. Instead of pig keeping the men turned to living off what their women could earn as laundresses, initially at home (especially in
the Stoneleigh Street area) and later in small laundries. A local saying in this area declared that ’to marry an ironer is as good as a fortune’

But change was coming.

The 1860s at last witnessed the opening of schools, (such as one in Sirdar Road), the paving of streets and the construction of proper sewers. But it was not until 1888 were public baths and washhouses provided at the junction of Silchester and Lancaster Roads.

In 1889 the Rev C E Roberts of St Clements Church and the Rev Dr Thornton of St Johns appealed in a letter to the Times for an open space for the children of this area. As a result the old brickfield and the area of the ’Ocean’ became the start of Avondale Park opened in 1892 and named in memory of the recently deceased Duke of Clarence and Avondale.

But even then, a year after the park was opened that the Daily News described the area adjacent to the park as ’Avernus’ (the fabled gateway to hell!). The article identified Wilsham Street, Kenley Street, another two streets now replaced by Henry Dickens Court and part of Sirdar Road as ’hopelessly degraded and abandoned’.

The dense rows of artisan houses in these streets were massively over-occupied or else were the most primitive lodging houses in which a bed on the floor cost a few pennies per night. Local residents made a living as best they could but it was a close knit community who seemed to scrape together enough money to pay for visits to the music hall and for summer day trips.

By 1904 new low cost tenements were built and the Improved Tenements Association bought 64 year leases of four houses in Walmer Road in 1900, and these were modernised and divided into two room tenements to accommodate 13 families for rents of 5 shillings a week. Other housing associations followed such as the Wilsham Trust formed by Ladies- in-waiting at Kensington Palace.

The poverty and hardship of the Potteries and Piggeries is very much a thing of the past. Now the neighbourhood is an attractive, leafy, peaceful backwater made up of rows of well kept two and three storey Victorian brick terraced houses and cottages, in the shadow of the graceful golden weather vane and clock of St Clements Church.

The area has come a long way.

Sources:
The Notting Hill & Holland Park Book by Richard Tames
Kensington & Chelsea by Annabel Walker with Peter Jackson
Notting Hill and Holland Park Past by Barbara Denny
Survey of London: Northern Kensington: Vol:XXXVII for the Greater London Council


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
6 East Row, W10: Scott Hatton:   Scott Hatton lived here in 1960
A seminal gig:   Once upon a time in 1979, Joy Division, OMD and A Certain Ratio were on the same bill - and all for £1.50.
Acklam Hall:   Acklam Hall became a community centre for the post-Westway Acklam Road
Acklam Road Adventure Playground:   Acklam Road Adventure Playground was created in the 1960s.
Admiral Blake (The Cowshed):   The Admiral Blake was situated at the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Barlby Road.
Ark Brunel Primary Academy:   Academy sponsor led (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Avondale Park Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Bales College:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 20. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Basing Street (SARM) Studios:   SARM Studios is a recording studio, established by Chris Blackwell, the founder of Island Records.
Bevington Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Cabaret Voltaire in Acklam Road:   Cabaret Voltaire played one of their classic early gigs under the flyover in Acklam Road.
Carmelite Monastery of The Most Holy Trinity:   Convent in North Kensington
Chepstow House School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 11. Admissions policy: Selective (grammar).
Clayton Arms:   A pub which was situated halfway down West Row in Kensal Town.
Colville Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 11.
Dissenters’ Chapel:   The Dissenters’ Chapel is a redundant chapel in Kensal Green Cemetery, recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.
Earl of Zetland:   A pub in the Potteries
Early Years Service at Holmfield House:   This is a children’s centre.
Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance:   Emslie Horniman’s Pleasance is the traditional starting point for the Notting Hill Carnival.
Epic Learning Independent School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 13 and 18.
Gas Light and Coke Company:   The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century.
Golborne Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Holland Park:   Holland Park is a district, an underground station (and indeed a park) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.
Holland Park:   
I Was Lord Kitchener’s Valet:   I Was Lord Kitchener’s Valet was a clothing boutique which achieved fame in 1960s "Swinging London" by promoting antique military uniforms as fashion items.
Instituto Espanol Canada Blanch:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 19. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Jack of Newbury:   The Jack of Newbury stood at the corner of East Row and Kensal Road until it was bombed on 2 October 1940.
Kenilworth Castle:   The Kenilworth Castle was a post-war pub in Notting Dale.
Kensal House:   There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the original
Kensal Town:   Soapsuds Island
Kensington Hippodrome:   The Kensington Hippodrome was a racecourse built in Notting Hill, London, in 1837, by entrepreneur John Whyte.
Kensington Park Hotel:   The KPH is a landmark pub on Ladbroke Grove.
La Petite Ecole Bilingue:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
La Petite Ecole Francaise:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
La Scuola Italiana A Londra:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 14. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
Lads of the Village:   One of the signature public houses along Kensal Road.
Latimer AP Academy:   Academy alternative provision converter which accepts students between the ages of 5 and 18.
Latimer Road:   A station not named after the road it stands on
Luxurious sewers:   The effluent society
Mary Place Workhouse:   Notting Dale Workhouse stood on the site of what is now Avondale Park Gardens,
Maxilla Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Maxilla Nursery School:   Local authority nursery school (Nursery) which accepts students between the ages of 2 and 5.
Middle Row Bus Garage:   Middle Row Bus Garage was situated on the corner of Conlan Street and Middle Row, W10.
Middle Row School:   Middle Row School was established in the late 19th century to provide education to the children of Kensal New Town.
Norland Place School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 11. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
North Kensington Library:   North Kensington Library opened in 1891 and was described as one of London’s finest public libraries.
North Kensington:   North Kensington lies either side of Ladbroke Grove, W10.
North West Locality Hub Lead -Queen’s Park Children’s Centre:   This is a children’s centre.
Notting Dale:   From Pigs and bricks to Posh and Becks...
Notting Hill:   Notting Hill: A place whose fortunes have come, gone and come again...
Notting Hill Barn Farm:   Notting Barns Farm was one of two farms in the North Kensington area.
Notting Hill in Bygone Days: Chenesitun and Knotting Barns:   Chapter 1 of the book "Notting Hill in Bygone Days" by Florence Gladstone (1924)
Notting Hill in Bygone Days: In the Eighteenth Century:   Chapter 3 of the book "Notting Hill in Bygone Days" by Florence Gladstone (1924)
Notting Hill in Bygone Days: St. Charles’s Ward:   Chapter 10 of the book "Notting Hill in Bygone Days" by Florence Gladstone (1924)
Notting Hill Preparatory School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 4 and 13.
Portobello Arms:   The Portobello Arms was a former pub in Kensal Town, established in 1842.
Portobello Farm:   Portobello Farm House was approached along Turnpike Lane, sometimes referred to as Green’s Lane, a track leading from Kensington Gravel Pits towards a wooden bridge over the canal.
Portobello Green:   Portobello Green features a shopping arcade under the Westway along Thorpe Close, an open-air market under the canopy, and community gardens.
PPP Community School:   Other independent special school which accepts students between the ages of 13 and 17.
Queen Victoria/Narrow Boat:   The 'Vic' was the first building on the right when crossing the canal going north along Ladbroke Grove.
Queen’s Park Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Queens Park Estate:   The part of Queen's Park which is in the W10 postcode and City of Westminster, is known as the Queens Park Estate.
Queen’s Park Library:   Queen’s Park Library was built to improve the minds of the new Queen’s Park Estate residents.
Saint Francis of Assisi Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Saint John the Evangelist:   Saint John’s Church stands on the busy crossroads of Harrow Road, Kilburn Lane and Ladbroke Grove and on the boundaries of the London Boroughs of Brent, Kensington and the City of Westminster, in which it stands.
Saint Mary’s Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School:   Sion Manning Roman Catholic Girls’ School is in St Charles Square.
Sion-Manning Catholic Girls’ School:   Voluntary aided school (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 16. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
St Anne’s & Avondale Park Nursery School:   Local authority nursery school (Nursery) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 5.
St Charles Catholic Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College:   St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College is a Roman Catholic sixth form college.
St Charles Catholic Sixth Form College:   Further education (16 plus) which accepts students between the ages of 16 and 99.
St Charles Hospital:   The St Marylebone workhouse infirmary was opened in 1881 on Rackham Street, North Kensington and received a congratulatory letter from Florence Nightingale.
St Clement and St James CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St John’s Hill:   St John’s Hill is the highest point in the area.
St John’s, Notting Hill:   St John’s Notting Hill is a Victorian Anglican church built in 1845 in Lansdowne Crescent, Notting Hill.
St Martins Mission:   Saint Martin's Mission was originally known as Rackham Hall as it was situated on Rackham Street.
St Thomas’ CofE Primary School:   Voluntary aided school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
St. Joseph's Home:   St Joseph's dominated a part of Portobello Road up until the 1980s.
Tabernacle School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 18. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
The Apollo:   The Apollo pub was located at 18 All Saints Road, on the southeast corner of the Lancaster Road junction.
The Bedford family at 3 Acklam Road:   From the 19th century up until 1965, number 3 Acklam Road, near the Portobello Road junction, was occupied by the Bedford family.
The Brittania:   The Brittania was situated on the corner of Clarendon Road and Portland Road, W11.
The Cardinal Vaughan Memorial RC School:   Academy converter (Secondary) which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 18. Admissions policy: Comprehensive (secondary).
The Crown:   The Crown was situated at 57 Princedale Road.
The Eagle:   The Eagle, on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Telford Road.
The Earl Derby:   The Earl Derby stood on the corner of Southern Row and Bosworth Road.
The Flora:   The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10.
The Foresters:   A lost pub of London W10
The Lloyd Williamson School:   Other independent school which accepts students between the ages of 1 and 16. Admissions policy: Non-selective.
The Mitre:   The Mitre was situated at 62 Golborne Road.
The Plough:   From the sixteenth century onwards, the Plough stood beside the Harrow Road.
The Prince of Wales (Chilled Eskimo):   A pub in Kensal Town
The St Marylebone Church of England Bridge School:   Free schools special which accepts students between the ages of 11 and 19.
Thomas Jones Primary School:   Community school (Primary) which accepts students between the ages of 3 and 11.
Wedlake Street Baths:   In a time when most had somewhere to live but few had somewhere to wash at home, public baths were the place to go...
Western Arms:   The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road.
Western Iron Works:   The Western Iron Works was the foundry business of James Bartle and Co.


PHOTOS OF THE AREA
Acklam Road protests:   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Adair Road junction with Southam Street (1932):   A wet day in London W10.
Adair Road, W10:   Adair Road junction with Appleford Road, March 1964
Adair Road, W10:   Adair Road is a street on the Kensal Town/North Kensington borders.
Albert Hotel (1900s):   The Albert Hotel, on the corner of All Saints Road and Cornwall Road (now Westbourne Park Road).
Bangor Street:   2015
Bangor Street:   2015
Corner of Bangor and Sirdar Road:   2015
Corner of Caird Street and Lancefield Street (1910):   2015
Corner of Rackham Street, Ladbroke Grove (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Exmoor Street (1950):   Photographed just after the Second World War, looking north along Exmoor Street.
Golborne Road bridge (1960s):   We think that this photo dates from the late 1960s, according to fashions and car registrations.
Graffiti along Acklam Road (1970s):   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Harrow Road (1920s):   Harrow Road in the 1920s, looking south east towards the Prince of Wales pub and the Emmanuel Church spire.
Hudson's the chemist (1906):   Hudson's, a chemist shop, stood on the corner of Ilbert Street and Third Avenue in the Queen's Park estate.
Kids in Acklam Road:   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1900):   This early 1900s image was taken just south of the junction of Ladbroke Grove and Treverton Street.
Ladbroke Grove looking north (1950):   Ladbroke Grove on the corner of St Charles Sqaure taken outside the Eagle public house, looking north, just prior to the outbreak of the Second World War.
Ladbroke Grove railway bridge:   Looking north over Bartle Bridge in the 1950s
Lothrop Street (1907):   2015
Political meeting (1920s):   Meeting in front of the Junction Arms situated where Tavistock Road, Crescent and Basing Road met.
Rackham Street, eastern end (1950):   The bombing of the Second World War meant that some whole streets were wiped off the future map. Rackham Street, in London W10, was one of them.
Rackham Street, western end (1950):   A bombed-out Rackham Street, looking down from the junction with Exmoor Street.
Ridler's Tyre Yard:   Ridler's Tyres was situated in a part of Blechynden Street which no longer exists
St Charles Square after bombing (1950):   A corner of St Charles Square looking north, just after the Second World War
St Charles Square ready for redevelopment (1951):   Photographed in 1951, the corner of St Charles Square and Ladbroke Grove looking northwest just after the Second World War.
The Victoria (1920s):   The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it ’conveniently burned down’.
Under westway (1977):   Acklam Road was the centre of much action during the building of the Westway
Western Dwellings from below (1960s):   This photo was taken from the bottom of Southern Row steps.
William Miller's Yard:   William Miller's Yard stood in Chapel Place, West Row.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Acklam Road, W10 · Adair Road, W10 · Adair Tower, W10 · Addison Avenue, W11 · Addison Place, W11 · Addison Road, W14 · Adela Street, W10 · Admiral Mews, W10 · Alba Place, W11 · Aldermaston Street, W10 · Alderson Street, W10 · All Saints Road, W11 · Alperton Street, W10 · Ansleigh Place, W11 · Appleford House, W10 · Appleford Road, W10 · Arundel Gardens, W11 · Athlone Gate, W10 · Avondale Park Gardens, W11 · Avondale Park Road, W11 · Bangor Street, W11 · Bard Road, W10 · Barfett Street, W10 · Bartle Road, W11 · Basing Street, W11 · Bassett Road, W10 · Bevington Road, W10 · Blagrove Road, W10 · Blechynden Mews, W11 · Blechynden Street, W10 · Blenheim Crescent, W11 · Bomore Road, W11 · Bonchurch Road, W10 · Bosworth Road, W10 · Boyne Terrace Mews, W11 · Bramley Mews, W10 · Bramley Road, W10 · Bramley Road, W11 · Bramley Street, W10 · Branstone Street, W10 · Bravington Road, W9 · Briar Walk, W10 · Bridge Close, W10 · Bruce Close, W10 · Bruckner Street, W10 · Buller Road, NW10 · Caird Street, W10 · Cambridge Gardens, W10 · Camelford Walk, W11 · Canal Close, W10 · Carlton Mansions, W14 · Charlotte Mews, W10 · Chesterton Road, W10 · Clarendon Cross, W11 · Clarendon Road, W11 · Clydesdale Road, W11 · Codrington Mews, W11 · Colville Houses, W11 · Colville Square, W11 · Conlan Street, W10 · Convent Gardens, W11 · Coomassie Road, W9 · Cornwall Crescent, W11 · Crowthorne Road, W10 · Dale Row, W11 · Darfield Way, W10 · Darfield Way, W10 · Darnley Terrace, W11 · Droop Street, W10 · Dulford Street, W11 · Dunworth Mews, W11 · East Mews, W10 · East Row, W10 · Edenham Way, W10 · Elgin Crescent, W11 · Elgin Mews, W11 · Elkstone Road, W10 · Embrook Street, W10 · Enbrook Street, W10 · Exmoor Street, W10 · Faraday Road, W10 · Farrant Street, W10 · Fermoy Road, W9 · Fifth Avenue, W10 · First Avenue, W10 · Folly Mews, W11 · Fourth Avenue, W10 · Fowell Street, W10 · Freston Road, W10 · Galton Street, W10 · Golborne Gardens, W10 · Golborne Mews, W10 · Golborne Road, W10 · Golden Mews, W11 · Gorham Place, W11 · Grenfell Road, W11 · Grenfell Tower, W11 · Hansard Mews, W12 · Hansard Mews, W14 · Harrow Road, W10 · Hawthorn Walk, W10 · Hayden’s Place, W11 · Hayden’s Place, W11 · Hayden’s Place, W11 · Hazlewood Crescent, W10 · Hazlewood Tower, W10 · Heather Walk, W10 · Hewer Street, W10 · Hippodrome Mews, W11 · Hippodrome Place, W11 · Holland Park Avenue, W11 · Holland Park Gardens, W14 · Holland Park Mews, W11 · Holland Park Roundabout, W12 · Holland Park Terrace, W11 · Holland Park, W11 · Holland Park, W11 · Holland Park, W11 · Holland Road, W11 · Holland Villas Road, W14 · Holland Walk, W11 · Hormead Road, W9 · Hurstway Walk, W11 · Huxley Street, W10 · Ilbert Street, W10 · James Collins Close, W9 · James House Appleford Road, W10 · Kenley Street, W11 · Kenley Walk, W11 · Kensal House, W10 · Kensal Road, W10 · Kensington Park Gardens, W11 · Kensington Park Mews, W11 · Kensington Park Road, W11 · Kilravock Street, W10 · Kingsdown Close, W10 · Ladbroke Crescent, W11 · Ladbroke Gardens, W11 · Ladbroke Grove, W10 · Ladbroke Grove, W11 · Lancaster Road, W11 · Lancefield Street, W10 · Lansdowne Crescent, W11 · Lansdowne Cresent, W11 · Lansdowne Mews, W11 · Lansdowne Rise, W11 · Lansdowne Road, W11 · Lansdowne Walk, W11 · Latimer Mews, W10 · Lavie Mews, W10 · Lionel Mews, W10 · Lockton Street, W10 · Lorne Gardens, W11 · Lothrop Street, W10 · Lower Addison Gardens, W14 · Malton Mews, W10 · Malton Road, W10 · Manchester Drive, W10 · Maple Walk, W10 · Martin Street, W10 · Mary Place, W11 · Maxilla Gardens, W10 · Maxilla Gardens, W10 · Maxilla Walk, W10 · Mcgregor Road, W11 · Middle Row, W10 · Millwood Street, W10 · Morgan Road, W10 · Mortimer Square, W11 · Mozart Street, W10 · Munro Mews, W10 · Norburn Street, W10 · Norland Place, W11 · Norland Road, W11 · Norland Square, W11 · Orchard Close, W10 · Oxford Gardens, W10 · Parry Road, W10 · Peach Road, W10 · Penzance Place, W11 · Porlock Street, W10 · Portland Gate, SW7 · Portland Road, W11 · Portnall Road, W9 · Portobello Road, W10 · Portobello Road, W11 · Pottery Lane, W11 · Prince?s Yard, W11 · Princedale Road, W11 · Princes Place, W11 · Queensdale Crescent, W11 · Queensdale Place, W11 · Queensdale Road, W11 · Queensdale Walk, W11 · Rackham Street, W10 · Raddington Road, W10 · Railway Arches, W10 · Raymede Street, W10 · Regent Street, NW10 · Rifle Place, W11 · Rillington Place, W11 · Ronan Walk, W10 · Rosmead Road, W11 · Royal Crescent Mews, W11 · Royal Crescent, W11 · Runcorn Place, W11 · Ruston Mews, W11 · Saint Anns Villas, W11 · Saint Charles Place, W10 · Saint Charles Square, W10 · Saint Ervans Road, W10 · Saint Josephs Close, W10 · Saint Lawrence Terrace, W10 · Saint Lukes Mews, W11 · Saint Marks Place, W11 · Saint Marks Road, W10 · Saint Marks Road, W11 · Saint Michaels Gardens, W10 · Scampston Mews, W10 · Second Avenue, W10 · Shalfleet Drive, W10 · Silchester Mews, W10 · Silchester Road, W10 · Silchester Terrace, W10 · Silvester Mews, W11 · Sirdar Road, W11 · Sixth Avenue, W10 · Southam House Adair Road, W10 · Southam Street, W10 · Southern Row, W10 · St Andrews Square, W11 · St Anns Villas, W11 · St Charles Place, W10 · St Charles Square, W10 · St Ervans Road, W10 · St James Gardens, W11 · St James’s Gardens, W11 · St James’s Gardens, W11 · St Johns Terrace, W10 · St Lawrence Terrace, W10 · St Luke’s Mews, W11 · St Marks Close, SE10 · St Marks Road, W11 · St Mark’s Close, W11 · St Mark’s Place, W11 · St Mark’s Road, W10 · St. Anns Road, W11 · St. Columbs House, 9 - 39 Blagrove Road, W10 · St. Johns Gardens, W11 · St. John’s Gardens, W11 · St. Mark’s Road, W10 · St. Mark’s Road, W10 · St. Mark’s Road, W11 · Stable Way, W10 · Stanley Crescent, W11 · Stanley Gardens Mews, W11 · Stanley Gardens, W11 · Station Walk, SE6 · Station Walk, W10 · Station Walk, W11 · Stoneleigh Place, W11 · Stoneleigh Street, W11 · Swanscombe House, W11 · Swanscombe Road, W11 · Sycamore Walk, W10 · Tavistock Crescent, W11 · Tavistock Mews, W11 · Tavistock Road, W11 · Telford Road, W10 · Testerton Walk, W11 · The Quadrant, W10 · Third Avenue, W10 · Thorpe Close, W10 · Tollbridge Close, W10 · Treadgold Street, W11 · Trellick Tower · Treverton Street, W10 · Trinity Mews, W10 · Upper Addison Gardens, W14 · Verdi Crescent, W10 · Verity Close, W11 · Vernon Yard, W11 · Walmer Road, W11 · Waynflete Square, W10 · Waynflete Square, W10 · Wedlake Street, W10 · Wesley Square, W11 · West Row, W10 · Western Dwellings · Westway, W10 · Wheatstone Road, W10 · Whitchurch Road, W11 · Wilby Mews, W11 · Wilsham Street, W11 · Woodsford Square, W14 · Woodstock Grove, W12 · Wornington Road, W10 ·
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

North Kensington Histories
Recollections of people from North Kensington, London
Old Notting Hill/North Ken History
Facebook group, covering the history of W10 and W11.
RBKC Library Time Machine
Blog from the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea Library
Ladbroke Grove
Facebook Page
Latimer Road
Facebook Page
Westbourne Park
Facebook Page
Holland Park
Facebook Page
Shepherd’s Bush
Facebook Page
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Born in W10
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.