Print-friendly version of this page Grahame Park was built on the site of the old Hendon Aerodrome.
Lanacre Avenue is a road in the south of Grahame Park.
Grahame Park is Barnet’s largest housing estate, originally comprising 1777 homes.
Regeneration of the estate started in 2007. The development area is bounded to the west by Lanacre Avenue, to the south by Grahame Park Way
, to the east by Great Strand
and Corner Mead
and to the north by Field Mead
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
The estate is named in honour of Claude Grahame-White, the aviation pioneer who established the Hendon Aerodrome and aviation school on the site. Most roads, blocks and walkways have names linked to the aviation history of the site.
The building of the estate was a joint project between the Greater London Council and Barnet
Council. The estate was designed in a ’Brutalist. style and the first residents moved in during October 1971. Barnet
Council is refurbishing much of the estate with a 2032 completion date.
The Royal Air Force Museum is situated immediately to the south-east of the estate.