Road is a major through route in east London, across the Lea Valley from Clapton to Whipps Cross in Leyton.
In 1582 Mill Field Lane ran from Clapton to Jeremy’s Ferry in the Leyton Marshes.
Replacing the ferry, a timber bridge was built in 1745, and the road became known as Lea Bridge
Road, with a tollgate at the Clapton end. A toll house was built on the west bank of the river in 1757, and the bridge rebuilt in iron in 1820–1. Tolls continued to be levied until 1872.
The second road bridge opened circa 1890 and the present third Lea Bridge
Road Bridge was opened during August 1995.