Linford Street, SW8

Road maybe laid out between the wars- in this area, buildings are mainly post-war

Abbey Close · Albert Embankment · Albert Palace Mansions · Albion Avenue · Alfreda Street · All Saints Court · Allen Edwards Drive · Allen Edwards Primary School · Arden Street · Ascalon Street · Astle Street · Battersea Park · Battersea Power Station · Beet Court (1910) · Bewick Street · Blore Close · Bonnington Square · Bradmead · Brayburne Avenue · Bromfelde Walk · Brooklands Passage · Broughton Street · Buxton Mews · Caroline Place · Carriage Drive East · Carriage Drive East · Carriage Drive East · Carriage Drive East · Ceylon Street · Charles Clowes Walk · Chelsea Bridge Wharf · Cherwell Street · Citadel Place · Clayton Street · Courland Street · Courtenay Square · Courtenay Street · Cowthorpe Road · Crichton Street · Crimsworth Road · Cringle Street · Cringle Street · Cringle Street · Cupar Road · D R C A Business Centre · Darsley Drive · Deeley Road · Dolland House · Drca Business Centre · Durham Street · Ebbisham Drive · Emu Road · Farnham Royal · Fellmongers Path · Flower Market · Forfar Road · Fount Street · Froude Street · Fruit And Vegetable Market · Fruit Vegetable Market · Gaskell Street · Gauden Close · Glasshouse Walk · Glyn Street · Goding Street · Golding Terrace · Goldsboro Road · Goldsborough House Springfield Estate · Graphite Square · Griffin Primary School · Haines Street · Havelock Terrace Arches · Heathbrook Primary School · Heathbrook Primary School & Children’s Centre · Hemans Street · Henley Street · Heswall Close · Imex Business Centre · Imex Centre · Iveley Road · Jameson House · John Burns Primary School · Keith Connor Close · Killyon Road · Kirtling Street · Lark Hall Primary School (Including Lark Hall Centre for Pupils with Autism) · Lark Hall Primary School and Children’s Centre · Larkhall Rise · Lilian Baylis Technology School · Link House · Longhedge Street · Malthouse Road · Matrimony Place · Meath Street · Minshull Street · Montford Place · Morrison Street · Motley Street · Netherford Road · New Mill Road · New Union Square · Newton Preparatory School · Newtown Street · Nine Elms · Pagden Street · Page Mews · Parfield Industrial Estate · Ponton Road · Post Office Way · Prince Of Wales Mansions · Priory Court · Priory Mews · Queenstown Road · Ravenet Street · Ravenet Street · Rawson Street · Rawson Street · Riverlight 4 Riverlight Quay · Riverlight Quay 8Ea · Riverlight Quay · Savona Street · Sedley House · Shaftesbury Park Estate · Sibella Road · Simpson House · Sleaford Street School · Sleaford Street · Smedley Street · Sopwith Way · South/Austin Road · Southolm Street Southwest · Spencer House · St George Wharf · St George’s CofE Primary School · St Mary’s RC Voluntary Aided Primary School · St Mary’s Roman Catholic Primary School · St. Georges Close · St. Philip Square · St. Philip Street · St. Rule Street · Stanley Close · Stewart Court · Stewart’s Road · Studios · Thackeray Road · Thessaly Road · Thorparch Road · Tideway Walk · Tinworth Street · Union Court · Unit 12/Drca Business Centre/Charlotte Despard Av · Unit 18/D R C A Business Centre/Charlotte Despard Av · Unit 34/Drca Business Centre/Charlotte Despard Av · Unit 7 · Unit 7/Parkfield Ind Est/Culvert Place · Vauxhall · Vauxhall Primary School · Wadhurst Road · Wandsworth Road · Wandsworth Road · Wickersley Road · Wycliffe Road · Yvonne Carr Children Centre
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Vauxhall · SW8 · Contributed by The Underground Map

Linford Street is one of the streets of London in the SW8 postal area.

The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.



Vauxhall is an inner city area of Central London in the London Borough of Lambeth.

It is generally accepted that the etymology of Vauxhall is from the name of Falkes de Breauté, the head of King John's mercenaries, who owned a large house in the area, which was referred to as Faulke's Hall, later Foxhall, and eventually Vauxhall.

There is no mention of Vauxhall in the 1086 Domesday Book. The area formed part of the extensive Manor of South Lambeth. From various accounts three local roads, the South Lambeth Road, Clapham Road (previously called Merton Road) and Wandsworth Road (previously called Kingston Road) were ancient and well known routes to and from London. The area was flat and marshy with parts poorly drained by ditches. The area only started to be developed in the mid 18th century. Prior to this it provided market garden produce for the nearby City of London.

The area only became generally known by this name when the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens opened as a public attraction. Initially most visitors would have approached by river, but crowds of Londoners of all classes came to know the area after the construction of Westminster Bridge in the 1740s.

There are competing theories as to why the Russian word for a central railway station is vokzal, which coincides with the 19th-century transliteration of Vauxhall. It has long been suggested that a Russian delegation visited the area to inspect the construction of the London and South Western Railway in 1840, and mistook the name of the station for the generic name of the building type. The locality of the L&SWR's original railway terminus, Nine Elms Station, was shown boldly and simply as Vauxhall in the 1841 Bradshaw timetable.

Another likely explanation is that the first Russian railway, constructed in 1837, ran from Saint Petersburg via Tsarskoye Selo to Pavlovsk Palace, where extensive Pleasure Gardens had earlier been established. In 1838 a music and entertainment pavilion was constructed at the railway terminus. This pavilion was called the Vokzal in homage to the Vauxhall Pleasure Gardens in London. The name soon came to be applied to the station itself, which was the gateway that most visitors used to enter the gardens. It later came to mean any substantial railway station building.

It has also given its name to the Vauxhall Motors car manufacturer, which originated in the area.

Vauxhall station was opened by the London and South Western Railway (LSWR) as 'Vauxhall Bridge Station' on 11 July 1848 when the main line was extended from Nine Elms to Waterloo, then 'Waterloo Bridge Station'. It is on a viaduct with eight platforms. The deep tube London Underground station is on the Victoria line, and opened on 23 July 1971.

Vauxhall was located next to a major creamery and milk bottling plant for United Dairies. Milk trains from all over the West Country would stop at Clapham Junction in the evening, and reduce their length by half so that they did not block Vauxhall station while unloading. They would then proceed to Vauxhall, and pull into the down side platform, where a discharge pipe was provided to the creamery on the other side of the road. There was also pedestrian access from below the station, under the road to the depot, in the tunnel where the pipeline ran. Unloaded trains would then proceed to Waterloo, where they would reverse and return to Clapham Junction to pick up the other half of the train. The procedure was then repeated, so that the entire milk train was unloaded between the end of evening peak traffic and the start of the following morning.
Print-friendly version of this page


Clapham North
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Edith’s Streets
A wander through London, street by street
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine


Central London, south west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.