Linthorpe Avenue, Sudbury, Middlesex

Road in Sudbury Town

 HOME  ARTICLE  MAP  FULLSCREEN  EDIT  STREETS  RECENT  BLOG  HELP 
Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING:1750180018301860190019302017Fullscreen map
Road · Sudbury Town · HA0 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


Linthorpe Avenue is one of the streets in the Harrow postal district of Middlesex.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE SUDBURY TOWN AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

 
 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Address not listed? Add it here...
Go to Sudbury Town

Sudbury Town

Sudbury, as a historical area once extended from the ’South Manor- Sudbury’ (thought to have been on Harrow Hill) to the area that is now known as Wembley Central.

A majority of the land that once formed Sudbury Common until the 1930s has now been developed as a relatively green residential suburb of London.

Wealthy sisters and local philanthropists the Copland Sisters, after which many local landmarks from streets to schools were named, commissioned Sir John Gilbert Scott, the architect who later designed the Albert Memorial and St Pancras station, to build the Church of St John in 1846 which now marks the easterly extent of Sudbury. Opposite is Copland House, now a home for the elderly. The Coplands built Sudbury Lodge in the grounds of their father’s home in Crabbs House.

This would later change hands and be owned by another wealthy and philanthropist family, the Barhams. During the late Georgian period Sudbury was the home of the Express Dairy Company Limited run by the Barham Family. It was the first British Dairy to use glass milk bottles, the first to use milk churns and glass lined tanks to carry 30 000 gallons of milk by train into London every night and one of the first to introduce pasteurisation to sterilise milk. For his services the owner and managing director George Barham Sr. was knighted in 1904. He died in 1913 leaving his business to his son Titus Barham.

Urbanisation began in earnest in the late 19th century with the arrival of the railways and Sudbury town became part of the London commuter belt.

Sudbury Town station was opened on 28 June 1903 by the District Railway (now the District line) on its new extension to South Harrow from Park Royal & Twyford Abbey. This new extension was, together with the existing tracks back to Acton Town, the first section of the Underground’s surface lines to be electrified and operate electric instead of steam trains.

The demand for housing was such that within the short interwar period much of the area became urbanised. Titus Barham died aged 77 years in 1937 and he left considerable lands for the benefit of the public rather than building.

Despite the building, it remains a relatively green area mainly due to a strict planning control. In 1928 land was given over for the Vale Farm sports fields. There has been a swimming pool on the site since 1932.

The original Sudbury Town station building was demolished in 1930 and 1931 and replaced by a new station in preparation for the handover of the branch from the District line to the Piccadilly line. The new station was designed by Charles Holden in a modern European style using brick, reinforced concrete and glass. Like the stations at Sudbury Hill to the north and Alperton to the south as well as others that Holden designed elsewhere for the east and west Piccadilly line extensions such as Acton Town and Oakwood, Sudbury Town station features a tall block-like ticket hall rising above a low horizontal structure that contains station facilities and shops. The brick walls of the ticket hall are punctuated with panels of clerestory windows and the structure is capped with a flat concrete slab roof. Sudbury Town station is a Grade II* listed building. Some of the original station signage uses the Johnston Delf Smith typeface, a wedge-serif variation of the standard London Underground Johnston typeface.

On 4 July 1932, the Piccadilly line was extended to run west of its original terminus at Hammersmith sharing the route with the District line to Ealing Common. From Ealing Common to South Harrow, the District line was replaced by the Piccadilly line.


LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Hundred Elms Farm:   There was a farm on this site, on the northern edge of Sudbury Common, since at least the time of Queen Elizabeth I in the 16th century.
Sudbury Park Farm:   Sudbury Park Farm was opened by the Barham family in 1897, although its fields had been part of another farm, known as North Farm, by the mid-19th century.
Sudbury Town:   Sudbury, as a historical area once extended from the ’South Manor- Sudbury’ (thought to have been on Harrow Hill) to the area that is now known as Wembley Central.


NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Allendale Road, UB6 · Ashness Gardens, UB6 · Auriol Drive, UB6 · Bannister Close, UB6 · Barham Close, HA0 · Barham Court, HA0 · Bedser Drive, UB6 · Berkeley Avenue, UB6 · Brewery Close, HA0 · Bridgewater Court, HA0 · Bridgewater Road, HA0 · Burwell Avenue, UB6 · Central Square, HA0 · Chaplin Road, HA0 · Chestnut Grove, HA0 · Clare Parade, UB6 · Clare Road, UB6 · Colyton Close, HA0 · Currey Road, UB6 · Dalmeny Close, HA0 · Danethorpe Road, HA0 · District Road, HA0 · Eastcote Avenue, UB6 · Farm Avenue, HA0 · Green Park Way, UB6 · Greenbank Avenue, HA0 · Greenford Road, UB6 · Harley Close, HA0 · High Road, HA0 · Holland Road, HA0 · Horsenden Cresent, UB6 · Lancelot Parade, HA0 · Lancelot Road, HA0 · Lilian Board Way, UB6 · Linthorpe Avenue, HA0 · Lyon Way, UB6 · Malden Avenue, UB6 · Mary Peters Drive, UB6 · Matthews Road, UB6 · Maybank Avenue, UB6 · Newlands Close, HA0 · Northwood Gardens, UB6 · Norton Road, HA0 · Oakwood Crescent, UB6 · Oakwood Cresent, UB6 · Odeon Parade, UB6 · Oldfield Lane North, UB6 · Orchard Gate, UB6 · Pettsgrove Avenue, HA0 · Priory Avenue, HA0 · Priory Close, HA0 · Railway Goods Yard, UB6 · Ridding Lane, UB6 · Rockware Avenue, UB6 · Rothesay Avenue, UB6 · St Andrews Avenue, HA0 · St Georges Hall, HA1 · Stapleford Road, HA0 · Station Approach, HA0 · Sudbury Cresent, HA0 · Sudbury Heights Avenue, UB6 · Sylvester Road, HA0 · The Parade · Thurlow Gardens, HA0 · Tregenna Court, HA0 · Turner Close, HA0 · Twickenham Gardens, UB6 · Wadham Gardens, UB6 · Wellgarth, UB6 · Western Avenue, UB6 · Westway Cross Shopping Park, UB6 · Westway Cross, UB6 · Whitton Avenue East, UB6 · Whitton Avenue West, UB5 · Whitton Avenue West, UB6 · Windmore Close, HA0 · Woodland Rise, UB6 ·


USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES


COMMENTS

Print-friendly version of this page

What is Linthorpe Avenue, HA0 like as a place to live?

Data from placeilive.com/

Links

Alperton
Facebook Page
Sudbury Town
Facebook Page
Wembley Central
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Wembley, Kingsbury, Willesden and Harlesden (1762)
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers an area from Harrow in the northwest to Harlesden in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 


COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.