Lismore Circus, NW5

Road in/near Gospel Oak, existing between 1855 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.80.55.37 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Gospel Oak · NW5 · Contributed by The Underground Map
August
23
2015
Haverstock Hill station in 1905 with its entrance on Lismore Circus.

Lismore Circus was a former Victorian circus with six streets radiating from it.

Lord Mansfield, Lord Southampton and Lord Lisburne were the local landowners and plans were drawn up for six streets radiating from Lismore Circus. Houses here were built by 1853.

From 1868 the Midland Railway ran trains from Bedford to its own terminus at St. Pancras with the railway tunnel running underneath the southern half of the Circus. And also in 1868, Haverstock Hill station opened and was situated in the southwest of the circus (partially closing in 1916 but only finally decomissioned in 1983).

In 1870 St Pancras Vestry took over the central area following a memorial that it should be laid out as a garden. It opened to the public in 1871, a circular garden surrounded by privet hedge with grass, shrubs and trees.

The area was devestated by bombing during the Second World War. On 15 October 1940, a bomb demolished the Lismore Circus bridge over the railway, blocking it.

The housing estate surrounding Lismore Circus was built in the 1960s and 70s. Frederick MacManus and Partners designed the estate. These two long parallel grey brick buildings were built between 1969 and 1972.

Local residents rallied around the idea of maintaining an area of the open space in Lismore Circus in the late 1990s. In June 1998 Michael Palin ceremonially planted a ‘Gospel Oak’ in the vicinity of what is now Lismore Circus Community Woods.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



ADD A STORY TO LISMORE CIRCUS
VIEW THE GOSPEL OAK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE GOSPEL OAK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE GOSPEL OAK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE GOSPEL OAK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE GOSPEL OAK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Gospel Oak

Gospel Oak is an inner suburb of north London below Hampstead Heath.

The name derives from an oak tree, under which parishioners gathered to hear an annual gospel reading when the area was still rural. Lords Mansfield, Southampton and Lisburne were the local landowners when development began in the mid-19th century. Plans were drawn up for elegant streets radiating from Lismore Circus but after two railway lines were extended across the area the first buildings were two- and three-storey cottages for "navvies and quarrelsome shoemakers." Later the neighbourhood became more respectable and solidly residential.

All Hallows Church by James Brooks is a notable late Victorian church. After World War II much of the original housing around Lismore Circus was demolished and a series of estates built for Camden Council. Today Gospel Oak is a socially mixed area with its share of inner-city problems but a very strong community spirit. Famous residents include Tony Blair?s former head of communications Alastair Campbell and his partner journalist Fiona Millar, ex-Python Michael Palin, and Britain’s top networker Carole Stone and her husband broadcaster Richard Lindley.

OTHER LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
Baptist Gardens · Barrington Close · Benevolent Institution for the Relief of Aged and Infirm Tailors · Carlton Primary School · Chaston Place · Children’s Playground & Paddling Pool · Coity Road · Courthope Road · Cricket on Parliament Hill Fields · Dunboyne Road · Elaine Grove · Estelle Road · Gilden Crescent · Gospel Oak · Gospel Oak Primary School · Grafton Terrace · Hampstead Heath · Haverstock Road · Heathgate Place · Heathgate · Hemingway Close · Herbert Street · Kiln Place · Kingsford Street · La Petite Ecole Bilingue · Lisburne Road · Malden Place · Mansfield Place · Mansfield Road · Mansfield Road · Modbury Gardens · Oak Village · Park Hill Road · Parkhill Road · Parkhill Walk · Parliament Hill Fields Athletics Track · Prince of Wales Road · Quadrant Grove · Queen’s Crescent · Queens Crescent · Roderick Road · Rona Road · Savernake Road · Savernake Road · Shirlock Road · Sir Robert Peel · Southampton Road · Southampton Road · St Dominic’s Catholic Primary School · St Dominic’s Priory · Tasker Road · The Blue Sea Fish Bar · The Lord Southampton · The Old Oak · The Village School · Thurlow Terrace · Wellesley Road · Wood Field ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Belsize Park
Facebook Page
Chalk Farm
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.