Acton Town

Underground station, existing between 1879 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
34.238.190.122 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502020Fullscreen map
Underground station · Acton Town · W3 ·
September
28
2017

Acton Town station was opened as Mill Hill Park on 1 July 1879 by the District Railway (now the District line).


It remained as a terminus until on 1 May 1883 and 23 June 1903 the District Railway opened two branches from Acton Town to Hounslow Town and Park Royal & Twyford Abbey respectively.

On 4 July 1932 the Piccadilly line was extended to Acton Town. District line services to both the Hounslow and Uxbridge branches were withdrawn completely on 9 and 10 October 1964 after which operations were provided by the Piccadilly line alone.

The original brick-built station was built in 1879 and in February 1910 the station building was reconstructed.

On 1 March 1910 the station was given its present name.

In 1931 and 1932 the station was rebuilt again in preparation for transferring the Uxbridge branch service from the District line to the Piccadilly line.

The new station was designed by Charles Holden in a modern European geometric style using brick, reinforced concrete and glass.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

xxx

User unknown/public domain

THE STREETS OF ACTON TOWN
Central Parade, W3 Central Parade is a street in Acton.
Gunnersbury Court, W3 Gunnersbury Court is a road in the W3 postcode area



 

Acton Town

302 style='float:left; width=250px; margin-right:10px;'>Acton Town station was opened as Mill Hill Park on 1 July 1879 by the District Railway (now the District line).

It remained as a terminus until on 1 May 1883 and 23 June 1903 the District Railway opened two branches from Acton Town to Hounslow Town and Park Royal & Twyford Abbey respectively.

On 4 July 1932 the Piccadilly line was extended to Acton Town. District line services to both the Hounslow and Uxbridge branches were withdrawn completely on 9 and 10 October 1964 after which operations were provided by the Piccadilly line alone.

The original brick-built station was built in 1879 and in February 1910 the station building was reconstructed.

On 1 March 1910 the station was given its present name.

In 1931 and 1932 the station was rebuilt again in preparation for transferring the Uxbridge branch service from the District line to the Piccadilly line.

The new station was designed by Charles Holden in a modern European geometric style using brick, reinforced concrete and glass.
Print-friendly version of this page