Print-friendly version of this page
Longland Drive is one of the streets of London in the N20 postal area.
Totteridge is an old English village, and a mixture of suburban development and open land, situated 8 miles north north-west of Charing Cross.
|ADD A STORY TO LONGLAND DRIVE|
|VIEW THE TOTTERIDGE AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE TOTTERIDGE AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE TOTTERIDGE AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE TOTTERIDGE AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE TOTTERIDGE AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
This area was called Tataridge in the 13th Century. It may have been named after someone called Tata. The ridge is the high ground between the valleys of the Dollis Brook and Folly Brook.
Over the centuries the rural qualities of Totteridge have attracted well-to-do families. Cardinal Manning was born at Copped Hall in Totteridge in 1808.
With the opening of the Great Northern Railway station in 1872, late-Victorian and Edwardian mansions were built around the old village. In line with overall trends in the late 1930s, following the conversion of the railway station (in operation from 1872 until 1941) into a London Underground station (from 1940) on the Northern line, smaller properties were built within walking distance of the station (Totteridge and Whetstone tube station). In 1968 much of Totteridge was designated a Conservation Area, and no major developments have taken place since then.
Totteridge was a civil parish of Hertfordshire covering an area of 1,604 acres and formed part of a thin protrusion into Middlesex. It became part of Barnet Rural District and had a parish council from 1894 to 1914. It then formed part of Barnet Urban District from 1914 to 1965. In 1965, the parish and urban district were abolished by the London Government Act 1963 and the area was transferred from Hertfordshire to Greater London, to become part of the London Borough of Barnet. In 1901 the parish had a population of 844 and by 1951 it had risen to 4500.
|OTHER LOCATIONS NEAR HERE|
· Badgers Croft
· Barnwood Close
· Belmont Close
· Brook Farm Open Space
· Charnwood Place
· Chestnut Lane
· Cissbury Ring South
· Croft Mews
· Darland’s Lake Nature Reserve
· Elkanette Mews
· Fieldside Cottages
· Finchley Catholic High School
· Framfield Close
· Hadar Close
· Harmsworth Way
· Horseshoe Lane
· Laurel View
· Laurel Way
· Lime Grove
· Lullington Garth
· Northcliffe Drive
· Pine Grove
· Priory Close
· St Andrew’s Primary School
· St Edwards College
· The Close
· The Pastures
· The Totteridge Academy
· The Woodside Park Sports and Social Club
· Tillingham Way
· Totteridge Common
· Totteridge Common
· Totteridge Green
· Totteridge Green
· Totteridge Park
· Totteridge Tennis Club
· Totteridge Village
· Whetstone Stray
· White Orchards
· Willow End
· Woodridge Nature Reserve
· Woodridge Primary School
· Wykeham Rise
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
|Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.