Lyndhurst Gardens, NW3

Road in/near Belsize Park

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
3.85.143.239 
Too much info? Click here to declutter the page
6 Ellerdale Road · Adamson Road · Agincourt Road · Akenside Road · Alban House · Anna Freud Centre · Antrim Grove · Antrim Mansions · Antrim Road · Arkwright Road · Aspern Grove · Back Lane · Back Lane · Baynes Mews · Belsize Avenue · Belsize Court Garages · Belsize Court · Belsize Crescent · Belsize Cresent · Belsize Grove · Belsize Lane · Belsize Mews · Belsize Park · Belsize Park Gardens · Belsize Park Mews · Belsize Park · Belsize Place · Belsize Square · Belsize Terrace · Briary Close · Broadhurst Close · Broadhurst Gardens · Brocas Close · Buckland Crescent · Byron Mews · Camden Arts Centre · Canfield Gardens · Canfield Place · Carlingford Road · Cayford House · Chalcot Gardens · Chesterford Gardens · Children’s Playground & Paddling Pool · Church Row · Coach House Yard · College Crescent · College Cresent · Compayne Open Space · Connaught Mews · Constantine Road · Conybeare · Cressy Road · Crossfield Road · Daleham Gardens · Daleham Mews · Denning Road · Devonshire House Preparatory School · Downshire Hill · Downside Crescent · Dresden Close · Dunboyne Road · Elizabeth Mews · Ella Mews · Ellerdale Close · Ellerdale Road · England’s Lane · Englands Lane · Eton Avenue · Eton College Road · Eton Court · Eton Garages · Eton Hall · Eton Rise · Eton Road · Eton Villas · Everyman Cinema · Fairfax Mansions · Fairfax Road · Fellows Road · Finchley Road · Finchley Road And Frognal · Finchley Road · Fine Arts College · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Fitzjohn's Avenue · Fitzjohns Avenue · Fitzjohn’s Avenue · Flask Walk · Fleet Road · Fountain Mews · Freemasons Arms · Freud Museum · Frognal Bridge · Frognal Close · Frognal Court · Frognal Gardens · Frognal Parade · Frognal Way · Frognal · Garnett Road · Gayton Road · Glenilla Road · Glenloch Road · Glenmore Road · Globe Lawn Tennis Club Bar · Goldhurst Terrace · Gordon House Road · Gospel Oak · Greenhill · Hall School · Hampstead · Hampstead Gate · Hampstead Green · Hampstead Heath · Hampstead High Street · Hampstead Hill Gardens · Hampstead station (1907) · Hampstead tunnel · Harben Parade · Haverstock Hill · Hawtrey Road · Heath Hurst Road · Heathgate Place · Heathgate · Hillfield Court · Hillfield Court · Hillfield Mansions · Holly Bush Vale · Holly Walk · Hornby Close · Howitt Close · Howitt Close · Howitt Road · Huson Close · Isokon Building · Keats Grove · Keats House · Kemplay Road · King William IV · King’s College Road · Kingsford Street · Lamble Street · Lambolle Place · Lambolle Road · Lancaster Drive · Lancaster Grove · Lancaster Stables · Langland Gardens · Lawn Road · Lindfield Gardens · Lisburne Road · Lithos Road · Lithos Road · Lowlands · Lyndhurst Gardens · Lyndhurst Road · Lyndhurst Terrace · Mackeson Road · Maitland Park Road · Maitland Park Villas · Mansfield Road · Mansfield Road · Maresfield Gardens · Marion Mews · Martys Yard · Maryon Mews · McCrone Mews · Midland Crescent · Mount Vernon · Naseby Close · Nassington Road · Netherhall Gardens · Netherhall House · Netherhall Way · New College Parade · Noel House · North Star · Northways Parade · Nutley Terrace · O2 Centre · Old Brewery Mews · Oriel Court · Oriel Place · Ormonde Court · Ornan Road · Park End · Park Hill Road · Parkhill Road · Parkhill Walk · Pax Lodge · Pentameters Theatre · Perceval Avenue · Perrin’s Lane · Perrins Court · Perrins Walk · Pilgrim’s Lane · Pilgrim’s Place · Pilgrims Lane · Pilgrims Place · Pond Street · Primrose Gardens · Prince Arthur Mews · Prince Arthur Road · Princess Mews · Provost Road · Quickswood · Roderick Road · Rosemont Road · Rosslyn Hill Unitarian Chapel · Rosslyn Hill · Rosslyn House · Rosslyn Mansions · Rosslyn Mews · Rowland Hill Street · Royal Free Hospital · Rudall Crescent · Secrets · Shepherd’s Path · Shepherd’s Well · Shepherd's Path · Shepherds Walk · Shirlock Road · Sir Richard Steele · Source of the Kilbourne · South End Close · South End Green · South End Road · South Hampstead High School · South Hill Park · Southampton Road · St Crispins Close · St John · St Johns Court · St Mary’s Church · St Stephen’s Church · St. Crispin’s Close · St. Mary’s Town and Country School · Stanbury Court · Steele’s Mews South · Steele’s Road · Strathray Gardens · Sumpter Close · Tasker Road · The Academy School · The Flask · The Gables · The Garden Gate · The George · The Holly Bush · The Horse Shoe · The Old Orchard · The Roebuck · The Royal School · The Stag · The Washington · The White Horse · Thurlow Road · Tobin Close · Tranley Mews · Trinity Walk · Tudor Close · Two streams meet · University College School · Upper Park Road · Vane Close · Village Mount · Wandsworth Place · Waterhouse Close · Wedderburn Road · Wetherspoons · Willoughby Road · Wood Field · Woodland Walk · Woodland Walk · Yorkshire Grey Place
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Belsize Park · NW3 ·
JANUARY
1
2015

Lyndhurst Gardens is a street in Hampstead.



VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE BELSIZE PARK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Belsize Park

The Manor of Belsize dates back to 1317, with the name is derived from French bel assis meaning 'well situated'.

Belsize Manor was built by Daniel O'Neill for his wife, the Countess of Chesterfield, in the 17th century. Urbanisation took place largely between 1852 and 1878, by which time it extended to Haverstock Hill. After World War I, the construction of blocks of flats began, and now a great many of the larger houses are also converted into flats.

Belsize Park underground station was opened on 22 June 1907 by the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway as an intermediate station on its line from Charing Cross to Hampstead. It is served by three lifts and there are 219 steps. The station was designed by Leslie Green and has his familiar facade of ox-blood faience with four round arched windows. It remained largely untouched until the late 1980s when the lifts were replaced and a new ticketing system installed.

It was during the 1930s that Belsize Park contributed most to the artistic and intellectual life of Hampstead. Artists associated with the Mall studios included Dame Barbara Hepworth from 1927 to 1939, her first husband John Skeaping and second Ben Nicholson from 1931 to 1939, and Henry Moore, who lived at no. 11A Parkhill Road from 1929 to 1940. They were members of Unit One, a group of artists and architects founded in 1933 by Paul Nash (1889-1946), who lived at no. 3 Eldon Grove from 1936 to 1939. Sir Herbert Read, the poet and art critic, who lived in 1934-5 at the Mall studios, which he described as a 'nest of gentle artists', published the group's manifesto, a theory of modern style.

Another centre was no. 37 Belsize Park Gardens, meeting place of MARS, an architectural group, and home of Jack Pritchard, who founded Isokon, a firm making modern furniture designed by people like Walter Gropius and Marcel Breuer, refugees who brought a European dimension to the abstract design movement in the arts. Others included Piet Mondrian, the Dutch painter, who stayed with the Pritchards before moving to no. 60 Parkhill Road (1938-41). Pritchard also commissioned Wells Coates in 1934 to build the Isokon or Lawn Road flats, partly to house artistic refugees, on a site which he owned. Built in concrete in a functional style, the flats came to be recognized as 'a milestone in the introduction of the modern idiom into London'.

In World War II, a large underground air-raid shelter was built here and its entrance can still be seen near the tube station at Downside Crescent. The area on Haverstock Hill north of Belsize Park underground station up to Hampstead Town Hall and including part of a primary school near the Royal Free Hospital was heavily bombed.

Belsize Park these days is a lively area with many restaurants, pubs and cafés along Haverstock Hill and also England's Lane.

Glossary: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9, edited by C R Elrington.

Print-friendly version of this page

Maps


John Rocque Map of Hampstead (1762).
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map of Hampstead covers an area stretching from the edge in the northwest of present-day Dollis Hill to Islington in the southeast.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.