Showing every road so far featured

(N.B. So as not to break the map, this will only show the first 5000).

Click here to log in on Facebook Advanced
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302018Fullscreen map
Road · St John's Wood · W9 · Contributed by The Underground Map

Maida Vale is the name of part of the A5 road running through northwest London.

Developed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in the early 19th century as middle class housing, Maida Vale took its name from a public house named after John Stuart, Count of Maida, which opened on the Edgware Road soon after the Battle of Maida, 1806.

The whole area belonged to the bishop of London in 1647, when a Mrs. Wheatley was tenant of a wood and of 44 acres of pasture in 5 closes, which lay between the high road and the Westbourne stream - this was probably the forerunner of Kilburn Bridge Farm.

In 1742, when Richard Marsh was tenant, the farmhouse and its yards stood by the road close to the stream, with c. 39 acres in 6 closes to the south and west.

Farther south Paddington wood and some fields of Manor House farm abutted the road, with fields of Parsonage farm to the west. There were no other buildings then or in 1790. Kilburn Bridge Farm was 40 acres and worth £230 a year in 1795, when it supported rent charges towards the assistant curate’s stipend and payments for common rights to the parish.

Building was made possible by the Act of 1795 but for the northern part of the bishop’s estate, as for Tyburnia, the first agreements were sealed only in 1807.

The plots were strung along Edgware Road, in Hill field and Pond field and as far north as Paddington Wood. Francis Humbert of Marylebone and Abraham Callard of Paddington, builders, took a 61-year lease of part of Paddington Wood with a frontage of 150 ft. for six detached houses, each with 15 ft. in front, ’in a regular line and of a fourth rate of building’. The houses were to be of stock brick, with slate roofs, and dimensions were carefully specified, as in later leases. Another plot was leased in 1807 to Thomas Beedle, builder, for four houses. It had a frontage of 184 ft. and was bounded southeast by a ’street to Maida Hill’, presumably a forerunner of Maida Hill West (later Maida Avenue). Many new houses were leased from 1809 to 1814; a few were detached, others in pairs or terraces. Land behind the plots was granted for short terms to nurserymen.

The name Maida was first recorded in 1807, the year after Sir John Stuart’s victory over the French at Maida in Calabria (Italy). The Hero of Maida public house was licensed in 1810 at Maida Hill, which served as the name of a short stretch of Edgware Road near the new Regent’s canal. Part of that stretch, including the public house, was known in the mid 19th century as Maida Hill East. Meanwhile Maida Hill West became the name of the road along the southern bank of the canal (from 1939 called Maida Avenue). By 1828, as building had extended along Edgware Road, a short stretch beyond Maida Hill was called Maida Vale, which from 1868 was the name of the whole length of the road between the Regent’s canal and Kilburn. The name was applied popularly to a district by the mid 1880s, a fact which was recognized in the creation of Maida Vale ward in Paddington metropolitan borough.

Building had been planned from the south along Edgware Road before the construction of the Regent’s canal marked a clear division between the projected suburb and the neighbourhood of Paddington green. Further leases were granted from 1819: for two houses at Maida Hill, for two in 1820 and one in 1821 at Maida Hill West, and for two in 1820 at Maida Hill East. By 1828 houses lined the main road almost to the corner of Stranraer Place, which was to lead into Sutherland Gardens (both together forming Sutherland Avenue from 1887) and was about a third of the way to Kilburn bridge. Some houses, more widely detached, also lined Maida Hill West, although Blomfield Road did not yet skirt the north-west side of the canal.

Plans for the Paddington Estate north of the Regent’s canal were on as grand a scale as those for Tyburnia and covered a wider area. Gutch proposed long avenues, including Portsdown Road (from 1939 called Randolph Avenue), parallel with Edgware Road and crossed by Elgin Road (from 1886 called Elgin Avenue) and other westerly projections of roads from Marylebone, the monotony of the grid plan to be relieved by an enormous circus, ringed with crescents, in Elgin Road. A leading builder along Edgware Road was Hugh Biers, described later as an auctioneer and surveyor. He had land by 1828 in Maida Vale, where Hugh Biers the elder, also of Marylebone, had built two houses. The younger Biers, who had plans for Stranraer Place by 1832, took leases for 3 houses in Maida Vale in 1834, for 8 in Canterbury Villas in 1836, and for many more farther north in Carlton Villas between 1840 and 1842. By 1840 detached stuccoed villas lined most of Edgware Road, with a gap beyond the projected Elgin Road as far as Portsdown Terrace, which had replaced or been joined to Kilburn Bridge Farm and where Biers had taken leases for 12 houses. Very little building had apparently taken place behind the Edgware Road frontage, although part of Warwick Road (later Avenue) had been named by 1840 and Blomfield Road by 1841.

Progress over the fields north of the canal continued to be slow. In 1851 there were buildings only in Blomfield Road and in the quadrangle between that road, Clifton Place (later Villas), and the south end of Warwick Road enclosing Warwick Place. In 1857 Bristol Gardens still commanded uninterrupted country views to the north and west. Leases for 7 houses in Blomfield Road had been granted to John Pink, 6 of them in partnership, in 1840-2 and of 14 houses there or in Warwick Road to John Taft, who also took several in Maida Hill West, beside the canal west of Park Place, between 1840 and 1851. All the houses were stuccoed, those in Warwick Road being grander than those in Blomfield Road.

Growth was quicker in the 1850s, when a lease for 32 acres around Warwick Road and Warrington Crescent required building to be finished within eight years. An Italianate style was maintained, 16 of the 32 a. were set aside for gardens, and Warwick Road was widened to create a majestic approach to the new St. Saviour’s church. Roads with stuccoed houses included Randolph, Clarendon (later Clarendon Terrace and Gardens), and Clifton roads by 1855, Warwick Road West (renamed Warrington Terrace and later part of Warwick Avenue leading north-west past the church) by 1863, and the southern parts of Warrington Crescent, Randolph Crescent, and Castellain Road by 1869. The south end of the bishop’s Maida Vale estate thus came to resemble Tyburnia, even to the extent of being served by clusters of shops, around the Warwick Arms in Warwick Place and the Eagle in Clifton Road, and soon also in Formosa Street.

Meanwhile buildings had filled the entire Edgware Road frontage by 1851 and had started to form a humbler line behind, although only Andover Place, at the north end backing Portsdown Terrace, was complete by 1855. Park Road, begun by 1855, was projected to run along the Willesden boundary to meet the future Chippenham Road by 1861 and renamed Kilburn Park Road in 1862. Edward James Hewett, of Kilburn Park Road, built pairs of houses along the east side of Randolph Gardens, which were leased from 1864 and 1865.

The first line of housing behind Edgware Road had been completed by 1869, forming, from the south, Lanark, Canterbury, and Elgin terraces, Carlton Place (by 1901 called Carlton Mews), and Andover Place. Behind them the wider Portsdown Road (later Randolph Avenue) ran north to Randolph Gardens, with terraces on both sides as far as the corner with Sutherland Gardens but with open ground to the west as far north as Carlton Road (later Carlton Vale), which cut across the largely built-up land of Kilburn Bridge Farm. A new type of building, in red or multi-coloured brick, was used from the 1860s in the avenues parallel with Edgware Road and their cross-streets. It was soon to spread over the remaining land, giving most of Maida Vale an appearance very different from that of its southern, Italianate quarter.

Piecemeal building in many parts was planned in 1880, when the Paddington Estate made ten agreements, with different builders. Three agreements were for 91 or 92 terraced houses on the Paddington side of Kilburn Park Road, the largest being with George Godson for 50 or 51 houses, three were for between 50 and 61 in Sutherland Gardens, and the others were for 37 in Portsdown Road, 20 in Shirland Road, and a few in Formosa Street and Warwick Road West. The most expensive houses, to be worth at least £1,000 each, were to be in Sutherland Gardens and the cheapest, 17 at £200 and others at £500, in Kilburn Park Road. Their construction, including drainage and paving, and appearance were specified in detail: in Sutherland Gardens trees were to be planted and builders were to help purchasers in laying out general gardens behind, which eventually would be enclosed on all sides by new ranges. The leases were all for 98 years and the rents, as elsewhere, were to be divided between the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and the beneficial lessees’ trustees.

Building continued steadily in the late 19th century but not very fast. Behind the frontages, built up except for a stretch of Portsdown Road, the area enclosed by Shirland, Kilburn Park, and Portsdown roads and Sutherland Avenue was empty in 1886, allowing time for c. 26 a. in the north part to be saved for public use as Paddington recreation ground. Essendine Road in 1895 was to be built up with 60 or more houses by William Henry Pearce, who had made the agreement of 1881 for Shirland Road. Morshead and Grantully roads, bordering the recreation ground, were to have flats in 1898 and 1899, as were the nearby Widley and Wymering roads in 1901. There remained gaps in the smarter area to the south, between Elgin and Sutherland avenues, although most of Lauderdale Road had been finished under an agreement of 1897. Infilling was carried out under agreements made between 1900 and 1902 for the rest of Elgin Avenue and for part of Castellain Road, although Delaware, Ashworth, and the west side of Castellain roads were still empty in 1910. Most infilling was with flats, which also replaced many villas along Edgware Road.

For all its wealth, Maida Vale was never as fashionable as the districts which overlooked Hyde Park. Titled residents were rare, although in 1858 the exqueen of Oudh lived in Warwick Road West and another Indian, the rajah of Coorg, nearby in Clifton Villas. Charles Ollier (1788-1859), publisher of Shelley and Keats, and Thomas Jefferson Hogg (1792-1862), Shelley’s biographer, both lived in Maida Place, the mid-century name for Edgware Road immediately north of Maida Hill. Sir John Tenniel (1820-1914), the artist and cartoonist, lived from c. 1854 in Portsdown Road, where the change of his address from no. 3 to no. 10 probably signified no more than a renumbering of the houses. The boys’ story writer Thomas Mayne Reid (1818- 83) died at no. 12 Blomfield Road, the poet John Davidson was at no. 19 Warrington Crescent from 1889 until 1909, the radio engineer Sir Ambrose Fleming at no. 9 Clifton Gardens from 1890 to 1896, and John Masefield at no. 30 Maida Avenue from 1907 until 1909.

Maida Vale was notable in the late 19th century for its Large number of Jewish people. The first influx had been into Bayswater, where a synagogue had opened in 1863, but thereafter Jews settled both farther west and to the north, as Portsdown Road and its neighbourhood were built up. In the 1880s at least 1,000 and possibly 2,000 out of Maida Vale’s estimated 10,000 residents were Jewish and by 1890 the area supplied more than half the members of Bayswater synagogue.

The comparatively slow spread of building over the heart of Maida Vale, in contrast to the building of St. Peter’s Park south-west of Shirland Road, was presumably due to the ambition to maintain the character of a largely upper middle-class district.

Much of Maida Vale was classified as wealthy c. 1890, including the Edgware Road frontage from Stranraer Place (leading to Sutherland Avenue) to slightly north of Carlton Vale, and the whole of Sutherland Avenue east of Shirland Road, with Warrington and Randolph crescents and Clifton Gardens. Most of the southern portion, including Blomfield, Warwick, and Randolph roads, was wellto-do, as were the whole of Portsdown Road, part of Carlton Vale, and, so far as they had been completed, Elgin Avenue and Lauderdale Road. The long terraces between Edgware and Portsdown roads were ’comfortable’ and the houses fringing the area along Kilburn Park and Shirland roads were of mixed poverty and comfort. Most of the tradesmen and artisans in the south part, off Clifton Road and Formosa Street, were considered ’pretty comfortable’, although there were a few poor cabmen, sweeps, and ostlers. Only in the northern corner were there many poor, notably in Carlton Mews and Andover Place. The two streets, with 17 and 19 houses respectively and densities of 7.8 and 6 persons to a house, were among the eleven most overcrowded in Paddington, although much better than some near the canal.

Middle-class flats, including many of the earliest in London, were built from the 1890s, perhaps’partly because buyers of large houses were tending to settle farther out. Some blocks replaced older villas, particularly along the stretch of Edgware Road called Maida Vale, and others filled empty sites. Building also took place on the Marylebone side of the road and continued in the 20th century, giving the area much of its later character.

The first flats were planned in 1890, when nos. 1 and 3 Maida Vale, at the corner of Blomfield Road, were to be replaced by one or two buildings before the end of 1891. As Maida Vale Mansions (later Cunningham Court) the block had 22 flat-holders in 1902, when it was the only one on that side of the road. The adjoining site of nos. 5 to 35 (odd), however, had been leased for rebuilding in 1895 and was filled with Aberdeen and Blomfield courts in 1903. with Clarendon Court between them. Clarendon Court was claimed in 1917 as the first and most up-to-date of its kind in London, with flats, single chambers, a restaurant, and a booking office for theatres. Farther north, beyond Clifton Avenue, nos. 63-73 Maida Vale in 1900 and nos. 95-103 in 1902 were to make way for flats, built as Alexandra Court by 1906 and Sandringham Court by 1908. Much of the open land south-west of the main road had likewise been filled with blocks: Carlton Mansions, for 90 flat-holders, at the north-west end of Portsdown Road, and Elgin Mansions, for 80, and Ashworth Mansions along the north side of Elgin Avenue, all by 1902, and the nearby Biddulph Mansions in 1907 and Delaware Mansions in 1908.

Early flat-holders needed to be able to pay a large premium or invest in an estate company. The period immediately before the First World War was also that of the ’almost Corinthian days of Maida Vale’, when jokes were made about mistresses kept there in discreet apartments. During the war unprecedented damage was caused by a bomb in Warrington Crescent, where the king and queen came after four houses had been destroyed and 140 affected nearby in 1918.

In the 1920s and 1930s Maida Vale continued to be described as one of London’s most desirable suburbs, with ’handsome piles of residential mansions’ and superior detached houses. Maida Vale ward retained a lower density than any other in Paddington except the two Lancaster Gate wards, having only 81 persons to an acre in 1921, 85.9 in 1931, and 85.3 in 1951. Some large houses were subdivided, notably in Portsdown Road, where two had been listed as lodging houses in 1902 and 13 offered apartments in 1927. Since no fresh building land was available, the main change was the replacement of houses by more flats. In Edgware Road Clive Court was inserted between Alexandra and Sandringham courts, in the style of its neighbours, in 1923 and Hamilton Court was built south of Elgin Avenue in 1937. In the far north, where some of the earliest leases fell in, an agreement of 1935 provided for roadside villas and the poor housing behind in Andover Place to make way for 250 working-class flats, opened in 1937 as Dibdin House. The flats were the first on the estate to be in the direct control of the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who acquired a long lease from the beneficial lessees.

Flat-building along both sides of Edgware Road had made the Maida Vale section ’typical of suburban arterial roads in fairly well-to-do districts’ by the time of the Second World War. There were few further changes for another twenty years, since the Church Commissioners, while retaining control in the 1950s, did not draw up an ambitious rebuilding scheme like that for the Hyde Park estate. Isolated projects included Melbourne Court at the south end of Randolph Avenue, built by Blomfield Development Corporation in 1960, of which the Church Commissioners bought the leasehold, and the adjacent Browning, Elizabeth, and Robert closes. Along Edgware Road many more villas made way for flats after 1964: Stuart Tower, a joint venture by the Church Commissioners and George Wimpey & Co., south of Sutherland Avenue, the G.L.C.’s Atholl, Braemar, and Dundee houses to the north, and Edinburgh, Falkirk, and Glasgow houses between Elgin Avenue and Carlton Vale were all built by 1975. The G.L.C.’s flats were part of its Maida Vale housing estate, for which more room was made by widespread clearance south of St. Augustine’s church: Helmsdale, Invergarry, Keith, and Melrose houses occupied the south side of Carlton Vale, and Thurso, Renfrew, Strome, and Peebles houses, and an old people’s home called Carlton Dene, the north side. Farther north the G.L.C. built Torridon House at the corner of Randolph Gardens and Kilburn Park Road. Paddington Churches Housing Association had converted 21 houses in Randolph Avenue into 123 units by 1985.

In 1981 it was decided to sell the entire Maida Vale estate, consisting of c. 200 a. with more than 2,000 properties. The sale was the most valuable yet undertaken by the Church Commissioners, who offered tenants a 20 per cent discount on the assessed market value of their houses and flats. Disagreement over the valuations, particularly in Little Venice, ’Maida Vale’s most desirable part’, was such that less than a quarter of the properties had been sold by mid 1982. In 1985 it was expected that two thirds would be sold by the end of the year. There were, however, complaints about gentrification, after a steep rise in the value of houses bought by companies for conversion into flats.

Most of the Maida Vale section of Edgware Road is dominated on both sides by blocks of flats. Cunningham Court is five- or six-storeyed, faced with red brick and stone or terracotta dressings, opposite the mock-Tudor of Clifton Court in Marylebone. The Clarendon Court hotel, Boehmer & Gibbs’s Blomfield Court, and Alexandra, Clive, and Sandringham courts are also red-brick and ornate, overshadowing the last of the 19th-century villas which survive as pairs on either side of the ends of shopping ranges which extend down Clifton Road. The pairs, from nos. 37/39 to 57/59 Maida Vale, are of four storeys and basement; although converted into banks, shops, and offices, some still have their pillared porches. North-west of Sandringham Court the buildings are more modern, many of them set back amid lawns and bearing the numbers of some of the villas which they have replaced: the seventeenstoreyed Stuart Tower (no. 105 Maida Vale), the six-storeyed brown-brick Atholl, Braemar, and Dundee houses (nos. 125, 135, and 145), part of the G.L.C.’s Maida Vale housing estate and in scale with the private Hamilton Court (no. 149) by Beresford Marshall, and the taller Edinburgh, Falkirk, and Glasgow houses (nos. 155, 165, and 175), also municipal. From Carlton Vale stretch the fivestoreyed brick blocks of Dibdin House by Caroë & Passmore, incorporating a shopping parade near Kilburn Park Road.

The heart of Maida Vale, south of Paddington recreation ground, is residential, containing mostly brick terraces of the 1860s and later. There are a few shops at the east end of Sutherland and Elgin avenues, at the north end of Lauderdale Road, and, to the west, in Shirland Road. The earlier terraces include one of 21 bays at nos. 124-64 Randolph Avenue, containing houses of five storeys above a basement, and nos. 237-55 and 290-304 Elgin Avenue. The Randolph Avenue terrace, a symmetrical composition, with its mews to the north, is the most elaborate: grey brick with red-brick or polychrome dressings, it shows the impact of Ruskin’s Stones of Venice on the decoration of standard London housing. (fn. 117) Most of the later buildings are red-brick, in wide roads lined with plane trees. Middle-class flats predominate from c. 1900, often in very long ranges, which are, however, less massive than the blocks in Edgware Road, being mainly fourstoreyed in keeping with the neighbouring terraced houses. An example of such blending is Carlton Mansions at the north-west end of Randolph Avenue, backing on to the recreation ground and facing a slightly older brick terrace. Some of the last roads to be built up have nothing but flats: the central section of Elgin Road has Elgin Mansions and Ashworth Mansions facing Biddulph Mansions, by Boehmer & Gibbs who also designed Delaware Mansions in Delaware Road; Lauderdale Road is lined on both sides by Lauderdale Mansions, and the northern stretch of Castellain Road by Castellain Mansions. The only buildings later than 1920 are in Biddulph and Ashworth roads, where two-storeyed houses have filled the last empty sites.

The northernmost tip of Maida Vale, partly cut off from the avenues of mansion flats by Paddington recreation ground, is a comparatively bleak area of council housing. It is dominated by the nine-storeyed Torridon House, built for the G.L.C., and St. Augustine’s church, which retains a rough, treeringed enclosure. Most of the old housing has made way for blocks belonging to the Maida Vale housing estate, lower than the tallest ones in Edgware Road but in a similar style: Helmsdale House and other buildings of six storeys or less, on either side of Carlton Vale. Nos. 2, 4, and 6 Kilburn Park Road, with four storeys and basements, remain from the terrace on the north side, next to St. Augustine’s primary school. A few other tall houses of the 1860s, in pairs and with pillared porches, survive in Randolph Gardens, towards the east end of Carlton Vale, and at the top of Randolph Avenue, most of them in bad condition. Humbler houses stretch in a long terrace south-westward from Carlton Vale along the Paddington side of Kilburn Park Road, where renovation is under way, in contrast to the open spaces and tower blocks on the Willesden side.

Source: British History Online


Do you come from Maida Vale, W9, or know it well? Tell your story here.
Ensure that contributions are kept civilised and are not abusive.
We store your comment's IP address and reserve the right to apply bans where community standards are violated.
Please enter your name:
Enter the information you wish to add to Maida Vale, W9:
Please prove that you are a human by typing the text that you see in the picture below.
Refresh Image
You can completely dispense with this CAPTCHA palava by logging onto our Facebook app.
Contribution type:

If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location.
Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 10 Feb 2018 02:24 GMT   
Expires: 12 Mar 2018 02:24 GMT   
Post by IleanaSat: Tavistock Crescent, W11

Spring Hill Wild Harvested Acai Softgels Lemon Allergy Symptoms Anaphylactic Shock Valtrex With Credit Card Order Diuretics Generic Lasix. Imodium inflammatory bowel disease. Treatment ucsf trigeminal diarrhea Crestor 75 Mg Tablets Singulair And Zyrtec Together Allergy Symptoms Sweat Albuterol . Simvastatin No Prescription Achat Zocor Allergy Free Kitten Adoption . Viagra Requirements National Erectile Dysfunction Treatments Amoxicillin 500 Mg Side Effects How Do You Take Lexapro South African Alli Diet 57 Drospirenone Ethinyl Estradiol For The Record Raw Carrot Allergy
Julia elsdon
Julia elsdon   
Added: 22 Nov 2017 18:19 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by Julia elsdon: Shirland Mews, W9

I didn’t come from Shirland Mews, but stayed there when my father was visiting friends, sometime in the mid to late forties. As I was only a very young child I don’t remember too much. I seem to think there were the old stables or garages with the living accommodation above. My Mother came from Malvern Road which I think was near Shirland Mews. I remember a little old shop which had a "milk cow outside". So I was told, it was attached to the front of the shop and you put some money in and the milk would be dispensed into your container. Not too sure if it was still in use then. Just wonder if anyone else remembers it.yz5
Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton
Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton   
Added: 17 Nov 2017 22:50 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by Irene Whitby..maiden name crighton: Netherwood Street, NW6

I was born at 63netherwood street.need to know who else lived there.i think I moved out because of a fire but not sure
David Jones-Parry
David Jones-Parry   
Added: 3 Oct 2017 13:29 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by David Jones-Parry: Tavistock Crescent, W11

I was born n bred at 25 Mc Gregor Rd in 1938 and lived there until I joined the Royal Navy in 1957. It was a very interesting time what with air raid shelters,bombed houses,water tanks all sorts of areas for little boys to collect scrap and sell them questions asked.A very happy boyhood ,from there we could visit most areas of London by bus and tube and we did.
David Jones-Parry
David Jones-Parry   
Added: 7 Sep 2017 12:13 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by David Jones-Parry: Mcgregor Road, W11

I lived at 25 Mc Gregor Rd from 1938 my birth until I joined the Royal Navy in 1957.Our house sided onto Ridgeways Laundry All Saints Rd. I had a happy boyhood living there
Brenda Jackson
Brenda Jackson   
Added: 13 Aug 2017 21:39 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by Brenda Jackson: Granville Road, NW6

My Gt Gt grandparents lived at 83 Pembroke Road before it became Granville Road, They were married in 1874, John Tarrant and Maryann Tarrant nee Williamson.
Her brother George Samuel Williamson lived at 95 Pembroke Road with his fwife Emily and children in the 1881 Census

Apparently the extended family also lived for many years in Alpha Place, Canterbury Road, Peel Road,
Alec donaldson
Alec donaldson   
Added: 31 Jul 2017 18:02 GMT   
Expires: 3 Feb 2271 10:02 GMT   
Post by Alec donaldson: North Wharf Road, W2

Was there a Wellington street there
Added: 19 Feb 2018 18:00 GMT   
Expires: 5 Mar 2018 18:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: West Hampstead
What have you missed since February 12th?
What have you missed since February 12th?
Added: 19 Feb 2018 10:00 GMT   
Expires: 5 Mar 2018 10:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Bayswater
Keith Whitehouse: Manhunt for escaped convict jailed for brutal rape and killing in 1991
Police are searching for a man jailed for the brutal rape and killing of a woman in 1991 after he absconded from prison.
Added: 19 Feb 2018 09:20 GMT   
Expires: 5 Mar 2018 09:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
Man found stabbed to death in Kensington street
The 19-year-old victim was discovered by police officers in Kensington, west London.
Added: 19 Feb 2018 01:20 GMT   
Expires: 5 Mar 2018 01:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Royal Oak
Don’t feed the fatberg! What a slice of oily sewage says about modern life
Don’t feed the fatberg! What a slice of oily sewage says about modern life
Added: 18 Feb 2018 11:00 GMT   
Expires: 4 Mar 2018 11:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Bayswater
'Let's take back control of our futures': Young campaigner Femi Oluwole's plan to overturn Brexit
'Let's take back control of our futures': Young campaigner Femi Oluwole's plan to overturn Brexit
Added: 18 Feb 2018 09:20 GMT   
Expires: 4 Mar 2018 09:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: St Johns Wood
Fire crews battle building site blaze in central London
The blaze broke out in a building which is being redeveloped on Great Portland Street.
Added: 18 Feb 2018 01:20 GMT   
Expires: 4 Mar 2018 01:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Royal Oak
A guilt tax for the UK’s super-rich might not be such a bad idea | Gaby Hinsliff
A guilt tax for the UK’s super-rich might not be such a bad idea | Gaby Hinsliff
Added: 17 Feb 2018 19:20 GMT   
Expires: 3 Mar 2018 19:20 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Belsize Park
Huddersfield vs Manchester United: FA Cup prediction, how to watch on TV and online live streaming, start time, team news, line-ups, head to head, betting tips and odds
Can Terriers replicate shock home win?
Added: 17 Feb 2018 19:00 GMT   
Expires: 3 Mar 2018 19:00 GMT   
Post by LDNnews: Bayswater
Horsham collision: Teen and grandfather killed as train strikes car at level crossing
A teen and his grandfather have been killed after a train struck a car at a level crossing in Horsham, West Sussex.
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.


 Upload an image
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Add new information to this location
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
 Log on via Facebook
You can use a Facebook id to add material to this website.

Maida Vale

Maida Vale took its name from a public house named after John Stuart, Count of Maida, which opened on the Edgware Road soon after the Battle of Maida, 1806.

The area was developed by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners in the early 19th century as middle class housing. The main building started in the mid 19th century and from the 1860s red brick was used. The first mansion blocks were completed in 1897.

Maida Vale nowadays makes up most of the W9 postal district - the southern part of Maida Vale at the junction of Paddington Basin with Regent's Canal, with many houseboats, is known as Little Venice. The area to the south-west of Maida Vale, at the western end of Elgin Avenue, was historically known as Maida Hill.

Maida Vale tube station was opened on 6 June 1915, on the Bakerloo Line.

St John's Wood:   St John's Wood is an affluent district, north west of Regent's Park.

Abbey Gardens, NW8 · Abercorn Close, NW8 · Abercorn Place, NW8 · Abercorn Place, W9 · Abercorn Walk, NW8 · Aberdeen Place, NW8 · Acacia Road, NW8 · Alexandra Court, W9 · Allitsen Road, NW8 · Alma Square, Hamilton Gardens, NW8 · Alma Square, NW8 · Aquila Street, NW8 · Ashbridge Street, NW8 · Ashmill Street, NW1 · Ashmill Street, NW8 · Ashworth Road, W9 · Aubrey Place, NW8 · Avenue Close, NW8 · Avenue Road, NW8 · Barbara Brosnan Court, NW8 · Belgrave Gardens, NW8 · Bernhardt Crescent, NW8 · Biddulph Mansions, W9 · Biddulph Road, W9 · Blenheim Road, NW8 · Blenheim Terrace, NW8 · Bolton Road, NW8 · Boscobel Street, NW8 · Boundary Road, NW8 · Boydell Court, NW8 · Bridgeman Street, NW8 · Broadley Street, NW8 · Browning Close, W9 · Broxwood Way, NW8 · Capland Street, NW8 · Carlton Hill, NW8 · Castellain Mansions, W9 · Castellain Road, W9 · Cavendish Avenue, NW8 · Cavendish Close, NW8 · Charlbert Street, NW8 · Charles Lane, NW8 · Church Street, NW8 · Circus Road, NW8 · Clifton Court, NW8 · Clifton Hill, NW8 · Clifton Road, W9 · Clive Court, W9 · Cochrane Mews, NW8 · Cochrane Street, NW8 · Cropthorne Court, W9 · Culworth Street, NW8 · Cunningham Place, NW8 · Denning Close, NW8 · Dorman Way, NW8 · Eamont Street, NW8 · Elgin Mews South, W9 · Eliot Mews, NW8 · Elizabeth Close, W9 · Elm Tree Road, NW8 · Finchley Road, NW8 · Fisherton Street, NW8 · Frampton Street, NW8 · Garden Road, NW8 · Greenberry Street, NW8 · Grendon Street, NW8 · Grove End Road, NW8 · Hall Road, NW8 · Hamilton Close, NW8 · Hamilton Gardens, NW8 · Hamilton Terrace, NW8 · Hatton Street, NW8 · Henderson Drive, NW8 · Henstridge Place, NW8 · Hill Road, NW8 · Hillside Close, NW6 · Hillside Close, W9 · Jerome Crescent, NW8 · Kingsmill Terrace, NW8 · Lanark Mews, W9 · Lanark Place, W9 · Lanark Road, W9 · Langford Place, NW8 · Lauderdale Mansions South, W9 · Lauderdale Road, W9 · Lisson Grove, NW8 · Lodge Road, NW8 · Loudoun Road, NW8 · Luton Street, NW8 · Mallory Street, NW8 · Marlborough Hill, NW8 · Marlborough Place, NW8 · Melina Place, NW8 · Middle Field, NW8 · Miles Buildings, NW1 · Newcourt Street, NW8 · Norfolk Road, NW8 · North Bank, NW8 · Northwick Close, NW8 · Northwick Terrace, NW8 · Nugent Terrace, NW8 · Ordnance Hill, NW8 · Paveley Street, NW8 · Penfold Street, NW1 · Penfold Street, NW8 · Plympton Place, NW8 · Prince Albert Road, NW8 · Queen’s Grove, NW8 · Queen’s Terrace, NW8 · Queensmead, NW8 · Radlett Place, NW8 · Randolph Avenue, W9 · Randolph Crescent, W9 · Regent’s Canal Towpath, NW8 · Regents Court, W9 · Regents Mews, NW8 · Rodney Court, W9 · Rossetti Mews, NW8 · Ryder’s Terrace, NW8 · Saint Edmund’s Terrace, NW8 · Saint John’s Wood High Street, NW8 · Saint John’s Wood Road, NW8 · Saint John’s Wood Terrace, NW8 · Salisbury Street, NW8 · Sandringham Court, W9 · Scott Ellis Gardens, NW8 · Springfield Road, NW8 · St Edmund’s Terrace, NW3 · St Edmund’s Terrace, NW8 · St James’s Close, NW8 · St John’s Wood High Street, NW8 · St John’s Wood Park, NW8 · St John’s Wood Road, NW8 · St John’s Wood Terrace, NW8 · St Stephen’s Close, NW8 · St. John’s Hall Flats, NW8 · Sutherland Avenue, W9 · Swain Street, NW8 · Tatham Place, NW8 · The Lane, NW8 · The Marlowes, NW8 · Titchfield Road, NW8 · Townshend Estate, NW8 · Townshend Road, NW8 · Tresham Crescent, NW8 · Vale Close, W9 · Violet Hill, NW8 · Warrington Crescent, W9 · Waverley Place, NW8 · Wellesley Court, W9 · Wellington Place, NW8 · Wellington Road, NW8 · Wells Rise, NW8 · Whitehaven Street, NW8 · Woronzow Road, NW8 ·


Print-friendly version of this page

What is Maida Vale, W9 like as a place to live?

Data from


Royal Oak
Facebook Page
St John’s Wood
Facebook Page
Kilburn Park
Facebook Page
Maida Vale
Facebook Page
Warwick Avenue
Facebook Page
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
All-encompassing website
British History Online
Digital library of key printed primary and secondary sources.
Time Out
Listings magazine


Central London, north west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, north west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Cary's New And Accurate Plan of London and Westminster (1818) FREE DOWNLOAD
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches. Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Cary

John Rocque Map of London (1762) FREE DOWNLOAD
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés. Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death. The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
John Rocque, The Strand, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1843) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Chapman and Hall, London

Society for the Diffusion of Useful Knowledge (1836) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Chapman and Hall, London

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.