. It retained its identity until the late 19th, when building linked it with
and the Burroughs.
was noted for its large houses, the largest of which was Hendon House
. Many cottages and shops clustered about the junction of Brent Street
and Bell Lane
, including the Bell, mentioned in 1751 and considerably altered by 1970. Villas built between Bell Lane
and Parson Street
in the early 19th century, almost linking the hamlet of Brent Street
with Church End
, have all been demolished.
At the foot of Brent Street
another group of substantial houses included, on the north bank, Brent Bridge House, an 18th-century stuccoed building, later the seat of the Whishaws, part of which survives as the Brent Bridge hotel. Brook Lodge, south of the river, was an 18th-century farm-house converted by Charles Whishaw into a gentleman’s residence shortly before 1828 and demolished in 1935, after serving as an annexe to the hotel. Among other houses near Brent Bridge in 1754 were those later known as Bridge House, Holmebush, and Decoy House (so named after a decoy on the Brent).