The district around Pember Road remained completely rural until about 1850.
Kensal Green manor house, which was roughly situated where Wakeman Road joins the Harrow Road, was pulled down in the 1860s.
From about 1860 the lands to the west of Kilburn High Road began to be built upon and in the 1870s the sale of Banisters Farm led to the building of many present day streets.
By 1880, the rapid build up of the area caused official concern. Many houses had no regular sewers and privies drained into old, broken down pipes.
During the Second World War, Pember Road was the location for a aggregate night time bomb which fell during the Blitz.Licence:
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
|VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1750s|
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1800s|
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1830s|
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1860s|
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.
|VIEW THE KENSAL GREEN AREA IN THE 1900s|
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.
| ||Upload an image|
You can add an image to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
| ||Add new information to this location|
You can add text to this location if you are logged into our Facebook app.
Kensal Green, site of England's oldest cemetary still in use.
Kensal Green is the site of Kensal Green Cemetery, the oldest English cemetery still in operation, which contains many elaborate Victorian mausoleums, including those of William Makepeace Thackeray and Anthony Trollope. Architects who are buried at Kensal Green are the famous Hardwick and Shaw family whose graves are by each others side.
Kensal Green is a residential area with good transport links to central London, surrounding districts include Willesden Green to the north, Harlesden to the west, Brondesbury and Queens Park to the east and Ladbroke Grove to the south. The names Kensal Green and Kensal Rise are used somewhat interchangeably by non-residents to denote the same district, although residents differentiate between the areas based on proximity to the local tube and railway stations.
Roughly speaking, the area west of Chamberlayne Road, north of Harrow Road and south of Kensal Rise railway station is considered Kensal Green while that to the east of Chamberlayne Road and north of the station is considered Kensal Rise. These boundaries are by no means fixed however and some residents are known to use both terms with little regard for geographical accuracy.
Kensal Green is first mentioned in 1253, translating from old English meaning the King's Holt
(King’s Wood). Its location marked the boundary between Willesden and the then Chelsea & Paddington, on which it remains today. It formed part of one of ten manors, most likely Chamberlayne Wood Manor, named after Canon Richard de Camera (of the Chambers).
In the fifteenth century the then Archbishop of Canterbury Henry Chichele (1414–1443), acquired lands in Willesden and Kingsbury. In 1443 he found All Souls College, Oxford and endowed it with the same lands in his will. Resultantly, most of Willesden and Kensal Green remained largely agricultural until the mid-1800s, well into the Victorian era.
In 1805, the construction of the Grand Junction Canal passed through the district to join the Regent's Canal at Paddington. As the combined Grand Union Canal, this allowed passage of commercial freight traffic from the Midlands to London Docks, and hence onwards to the River Thames.
There were two dairy farms in Kensal Green by the early 1800s, which expanded greatly after the 1864 Act of Parliament which made it illegal to keep cattle within the City of London. Although by the late 1800s residential development had greatly reduced the farmland, still in the 1890s many sheep and pigs were raised in the district. One of the farms later became a United Dairies creamery, supplied by milk trains from Mitre Bridge Junction.
Rapid residential development led to local commissioners reporting in 1880 that there was inadequate drainage and sewerage facilities, with most houses having only improved access to what were the old agricultural drains. In that same year, All Souls College started to develop its lands north west of Kilburn Lane, including All Souls Avenue and College Road, with adjacent roads being named after leading Fellows of the college, and the installation of new sewerage facilities across the district. The college donated lands on which to build Kensal Rise Reading Room, to commemorate the Diamond Jubilee of Queen Victoria, in 1897. Opened by United States author Mark Twain in 1901, it was later extended and renamed Kensal Rise Library.
Kensal Green station opened on 1 October 1916 on the New Line on the north side of the existing London and North Western Railway (LNWR) tracks from Euston to Watford.
|LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
: Chamberlain (Wood) Farm developed out of the manor of Chambers, named after Richard de Camera, an early 13th century cleric.Clayton Arms
: A pub which was situated halfway down West Row in Kensal Town.Dissenters’ Chapel
: The Dissenters’ Chapel is a redundant chapel in Kensal Green Cemetery, recorded in the National Heritage List for England as a designated Grade II* listed building.Gas Light and Coke Company
: The gasometers of the Gas Light and Coke company dominated North Kensington until demolition in the late 20th century.Kensal Green
: Kensal Green, site of England's oldest cemetary still in use.Kensal House
: There are two Kensal Houses in London W10 - this was the originalPrincess Frederica School
: Princess Frederica School on the corner of College Road and Purves Road, NW10.Queen Victoria/Narrow Boat
: The 'Vic' was the first building on the right when crossing the canal going north along Ladbroke Grove.Saint John the Evangelist
: Saint John’s Church stands on the busy crossroads of Harrow Road, Kilburn Lane and Ladbroke Grove and on the boundaries of the London Boroughs of Brent, Kensington and the City of Westminster, in which it stands. The Flora
: The Flora is situated on Harrow Road, W10.The Foresters
: A lost pub of London W10Western Arms
: The Western Arms was a pub situated on the corner of Ladbroke Grove and Kensal Road.Harrow Road, Kensal Green (1900s)
: The corner of Ravensworth Road and Harrow Road in NW10.Kensal Rise (1907)
: Motor buses at Kensal Rise station.St Quintin Park Cricket Ground (1890s)
: Before the turn of the 20th century, west of present day North Kensington lay fields - the future Barlby Road was the site of the St Quintin Park Cricket Ground.The Victoria (1920s)
: The Victoria later became the Narrow Boat before it ’conveniently burned down’.Western Dwellings from below (1960s)
: This photo was taken from the bottom of Southern Row steps.William Miller's Yard
: William Miller's Yard stood in Chapel Place, West Row.
Alma Place, NW10
|NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP|
· Ashburnham Road, NW10
· Banister Road, W10
· Bayford Road, NW10
· Bolton Gardens, NW10
· Brunel Mews, W10
· Buller Road, NW10
· Burrows Road, NW10
· Canal Close, W10
· Canal Way, W10
· Compton Road, NW10
· Earlsmead Road, NW10
· Felixstowe Road, NW10
· Greyhound Road, NW10
· Harvist Road, NW10
· Hazel Road, NW10
· Hiley Road, NW10
· Ilbert Street, W10
· Kempe Road, NW6
· Kensal House, W10
· Keslake Mansions, NW10
· Keslake Road, NW6
· Keslake Road, NW6
· Langler Road, NW10
· Linden Avenue, NW10
· Maple Walk, W10
· Mortimer Road, NW10
· Oliphant Street, W10
· Peach Road, W10
· Pember Road, NW10
· Peploe Road, NW6
· Plough Close, NW10
· Purves Road, NW10
· Rainham Road, NW10
· Ravensworth Road, NW10
· Regent Street, NW10
· Ronan Walk, W10
· Sixth Avenue, W10
· St Johns Terrace, W10
· Station Terrace, NW10
· The Quadrant, W10
· Victor Road, NW10
· Wakeman Road, NW10
· Warfield Road, NW10
· Wellington Road, NW10
· West Row, W10
· Western Dwellings
|USING THIS MATERIAL IN OTHER ARTICLES|
- If you wish to link to this article in another article, copy the text in blue: [[2386|Pember Road, NW10]] - you can change the italic text to suit your text
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *L2386L* for a left-aligned image
- If you wish to use the image illustrating this article in another article, copy the text in blue: *R2386R* for a right-aligned image