Melbury Road, W14

Road in/near Holland Park

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  MAP  STREETS  BLOG  CONTACT 
107.21.16.70 
MAPPING YEAR:1750180018301860190019302019Fullscreen map
Road · Holland Park · W14 · Contributed by The Underground Map
JANUARY
1
2000


Melbury Road is a street in West Kensington.

Melbury Road runs between Addison Road and Kensington High Street. It is named after the original home of the Earls of Ilchester in DorsetVisually it is one of the most interesting streets in Kensington. It consists of some magnificent artist-studio houses designed by Norman Shaw and Halsey Ricardo. The south side formed a 19th century artists’ quarter. Particularly outstanding is the red brick Gothic-style tower on the north side, known as the Tower House and which is a copy of the Welsh Castell Coch. It was built in the 1870’s and renovated in the 1960’s by the actor Richard Harris.

Edward Fox-Strangways, the Fifth Earl of Ilchester, bought the estate from Lady Holland in the late 19th century. Lady Holland was allowed to continue living there but when she died the Earl of Ilcester decided to use the land of Little Holland House to create an estate of individual, architect-designed, houses. Little Holland House was demolished in 1875 to make way for Melbury Road.

Nos. 2 and 4 Melbury Road, a semi-detached pair, were built by A Adamson and Son, builders from Turnham Green, for the sculptor Hamo Thorneycroft. One house was for living in, the other for letting. No 6 was built for George Frederick Watts. He had been living at Little Holland House before it was pulled down so he gave that name to his new house. It was replaced by a block of flats, called Kingfisher House, in 1965. No. 8 was designed by Richard Norman Shaw for Marcus Stone. It is a two-storey house with a basement. A noticeable feature is the three oriel windows on the second floor. The house was built in red brick with ornamentation in moulded brick. William Turner, a speculative builder from Chelsea, built Nos. 10 and 12 which were demolished in 1964 to make way for Stavordale Lodge, which is a 5-storey block of flats. Turner also built Nos. 16 and 18.

On the other side of Melbury Road, No. 1 was built in 1880 as a single house but in 1935 it was divided into East House and West House. No. 3 was constructed by Lucas and Son of Kensington Square in about 1882. No. 29 (originally No. 9), and called Tower House, was designed by William Burgess as his own house. The most noticeable feature at the front is a circular tower which houses the internal staircase, and from which the house gets its name. It was built for him by Ashby Brothers of Kingsland Road between 1875 and 1877. No. 31 (originally No. 11) was designed by Richard Norman Shaw for the artist, Luke Fildes, and built by W H Lascelles in 1876. the house was later converted into flats. No. 47 (originally No. 13) was designed by Robert Dudley Oliver for Walford Graham Robertson, a playwright. It was built in 1892 by W J Adcock, a Dover builder. In 1912 Basil Procter designed an extra storey and an extra north wing. The house was converted into flats in 1948 .

Sir Alexander Rendel bought the piece of land to the south and had Halsey Ricardo design a pair of semi-detached houses, which are now 55 and 57 Melbury Road, (originally Nos. 15 and 17). The house was built by Walter Holt and Sons from Croydon. Work began in 1894. The houses were faced with ox-blood red glazed bricks.

Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



ADD A STORY TO MELBURY ROAD
VIEW THE HOLLAND PARK AREA IN THE 1750s
The 1750 Rocque map is bounded by Sudbury (NW), Snaresbrook (NE), Eltham (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1750 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLLAND PARK AREA IN THE 1800s
The 1800 mapping is bounded by Stanmore (NW), Woodford (NE), Bromley (SE) and Hampton Court (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1800 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLLAND PARK AREA IN THE 1830s
The 1830 mapping is bounded by West Hampstead (NW), Hackney (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Chelsea (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1830 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLLAND PARK AREA IN THE 1860s
The 1860 mapping is bounded by Brent Cross (NW), Stratford (NE), Greenwich (SE) and Hammermith (SW).
Outside these bounds, the 1860 map does not display.

VIEW THE HOLLAND PARK AREA IN THE 1900s
The 1900 mapping covers all of the London area.

 

Holland Park

Holland Park is a district, an underground station (and indeed a park) in the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea.

Holland Park has a reputation as an affluent and fashionable area, known for attractive large Victorian townhouses, and high-class shopping and restaurants.

The district was rural until the 19th century. Most of it was formerly the grounds of a Jacobean mansion called Holland House. In the later decades of that century the owners of the house sold off the more outlying parts of its grounds for residential development, and the district which evolved took its name from the house. It also included some small areas around the fringes which had never been part of the grounds of Holland House, notably the Phillimore Estate and the Campden Hill Square area. In the late 19th century a number of notable artists (including Frederic Leighton, P.R.A. and Val Prinsep) and art collectors lived in the area. The group were collectively known as ’The Holland Park Circle’. Holland Park was in most part very comfortably upper middle class when originally developed and in recent decades has gone further upmarket.

Of the 19th-century residential developments of the area, one of the most architecturally interesting is The Royal Crescent designed in 1839. Clearly inspired by its older namesake in Bath, it differs from the Bath crescent in that it is not a true crescent at all but two quadrant terraces each terminated by a circular bow in the Regency style which rises as a tower, a feature which would not have been found in the earlier classically inspired architecture of the 18th century which the design of the crescent seeks to emulate. The design of the Royal Crescent by the planner Robert Cantwell in two halves was dictated by the location of the newly fashionable underground sewers rather than any consideration for architectural aesthetics.

Holland Park is now one of the most expensive residential districts in London.

Holland Park station, on the Central London Railway, opened on 30 July 1900. The station building was refurbished in the 1990s.

OTHER UNDERGROUND MAP LOCATIONS NEAR HERE
Abbotsbury Close · Abbotsbury Road · Addison Bridge Place · Addison Crescent · Addison Gardens · Addison Place · Addison Primary School · Addison Road station · Addison Road · Applegarth Road · Augustine Road · Avonmore Place · Avonmore Primary School · Beckford Close · Bishop King’s Road · Bolingbroke Road · Boyne Terrace Mews · Brook Green · Cape Nursery · Charecroft Way · Duchess of Bedford’s Walk · Dunsany Road · Earl’s Terrace · Ecole Francaise de Londres Jacques Prevert · Essex Villas · Farley Court · Fenelon Place · Fitz-George Avenue · Fitz-James Avenue · Girdlers Road · Gratton Road · Hansard Mews · Hazlitt Road · Holland Park · Holland Park · Holland Park Mews · Holland Park Roundabout · Holland Park · Holland Park · Holland Road · Holland Villas Road · Ilchester Place · Ilchester Place · Irving Road · Kensington (Olympia) · Kensington Primary Academy · Kensington Wade · La Scuola Italiana A Londra · Lansdowne Mews · Lisgar Terrace · Logan Place · Masbro Brook Green Children’s Centre · Masbro Childrens Centre · Melbury Court · Melbury Court · Norland Place School · Norland Place · Oxford Gate · Park Close · Pembroke Gardens Close · Pembroke Gardens · Pembroke Villas · Pembroke Walk · Phillimore Place · Prince’s Yard · Radnor Terrace · Richmond Court · Saint Mary Abbot’s Place · St Barnabas and St Philip’s CofE Primary School · St Barnabas’ Church · St James Junior School · St James Senior Girls’ School · St Mary’s Catholic Primary School · St. Mary Abbot’s Place · Stafford Terrace · Strangways Terrace · The Cardinal Vaughan Memorial RC School · Thornwood Gardens · Upper Addison Gardens · Vernon Street · Woodsford Square ·
Articles in grey above need some care and attention
Roads are red; buildings are green
Other entries in blue above are featured articles
Print-friendly version of this page

Links

Kensington (Olympia)
Facebook Page
West Kensington
Facebook Page
Notting Hill Gate
Facebook Page
Holland Park
Facebook Page
High Street Kensington
Facebook Page
West Brompton
Facebook Page
Earl’s Court
Facebook Page
Barons Court
Facebook Page
Born in W10
Facebook group
The Notting Hill & North Kensington Photo Archive
Facebook group
Hidden London
Histor­ically inclined look at the capital’s obscure attractions
Londonist
All-encompassing website

Maps


Inner West London (1932) FREE DOWNLOAD
1930s map covering East Acton, Holland Park, Kensington, Notting Hill, Olympia, Shepherds Bush and Westbourne Park,
George Philip & Son, Ltd./London Geographical Society, 1932

Central London, south west (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Central London, south west.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)

Environs of London (1832) FREE DOWNLOAD
Engraved map. Hand coloured. Relief shown by hachures. A circle shows "Extent of the twopenny post delivery."
Chapman and Hall, London

London Underground Map (1921).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1921.
London Transport

The Environs of London (1865).  FREE DOWNLOAD
Prime meridian replaced with "Miles from the General Post Office." Relief shown by hachures. Map printed in black and white.
Published By J. H. Colton. No. 172 William St. New York

London Underground Map (1908).  FREE DOWNLOAD
London Underground map from 1908.
London Transport

Ordnance Survey of the London region (1939) FREE DOWNLOAD
Ordnance Survey colour map of the environs of London 1:10,560 scale
Ordnance Survey. Crown Copyright 1939.

Outer London (1901) FREE DOWNLOAD
Outer London shown in red, City of London in yellow. Relief shown by hachures.
Stanford's Geographical Establishment. London : Edward Stanford, 26 & 27, Cockspur St., Charing Cross, S.W. (1901)
1 



COPYRIGHT TERMS:
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.

Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or - from the available evidence - are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domain Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This file has been identified as being free of known restrictions under copyright law, including all related and neighbouring rights.

This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.