Print-friendly version of this page
Woodbine Cottage was situated at the south-eastern corner of the Flitcroft estate.
It was probably built in the 1860s and was home to the Eley family and later of the society beauty, Mrs Laura Thistlethwayte. In 1895 Lyncroft Gardens
was constructed through the site of the cottage and its grounds.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Laura Bell Thistlethwayte
User unknown/public domain
Fortune Green was originally part of the district of Hampstead but became physically separated from it by the building of the new turnpike road (now Finchley Road) in the 1830s.
| ||Read blog|
We have featured this location on a blog entry.
Please note that our blog will open in a new window.
The name of Fortune Green is derived from foran-tune
meaning in front of the tun, probably an inn in the area.
Originally Fortune Green was a patch of manorial waste, now in the north of the ward, where local residents had the right to graze animals, dig turf and play sports. The Green dwindled considerably in the 19th century when the lord of the manor granted enclosure rights for about a third of the area.
Lying on the south-west side of the Finchley Road
, Hampstead town council decided to build its overflow cemetery here in the 1840s.
The arrival of the Midland Railway in 1871 brought rapid development and many large houses were demolished in favour of higher density buildings. Victorian residential buildings display considerable variety in their design and detail and there are a number of large distinctive red brick mansion blocks, most of which have remained unaltered.