Morat Street, SW9
Road in/near Oval, existing between 1901 and now
Print-friendly version of this page Oval tube station in Kennington is named after The Oval Cricket Ground, which it serves.
Morat street runs north to south between Liberty Street
to the west and Hackford Road
to the east.
The street was built in sections after 1901 on open land between Clapham Road
and Hackford Road
At the turn of the twentieth century Brixton was a major theatre and music hall area. The street, along with Hackford Road
, Cranworth Gardens
and Liberty Street
housed many entertainers.
Morat Street took on a shady atmosphere, becoming somewhat notorious as a red light district for a while. The seediness diminished post-war.
The station opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the City & South London Railway. It opened as Kennington Oval
, and was designed by Thomas Phillips Figgis with elements of early Arts and Crafts and neo-classical detailing. The structure was made distinctive by a lead-covered dome with cupola lantern and weathervane which housed some of the lift equipment; the main part of the building was of red brick. The station building was rebuilt in the early 1920s when the line was modernised and was refurbished during late 2007/early 2008 at street level with a modern tiling scheme inside and out, giving the station a more modern look. Reflecting its proximity to the cricket ground, the internal decorative tiling features large images of cricketers in various stances.