The Foundling Hospital in London was founded in 1741 by the philanthropic sea captain Thomas Coram.
It was a children's home established for the education and maintenance of exposed and deserted young children. The word 'hospital' was used in a more general sense than it is today, simply indicating the institution's hospitality to those less fortunate.
The first children were admitted to the Foundling Hospital on 25 March 1741, into a temporary house located in Hatton Garden. At first, no questions were asked about child or parent, but a distinguishing token was put on each child by the parent. These were often marked coins, trinkets, pieces of cotton or ribbon, verses written on scraps of paper. Clothes, if any, were carefully recorded. One entry in the record reads, Paper on the breast, clout on the head. The applications became too numerous, and a system of balloting with red, white and black balls was adopted. Children were seldom taken after they were twelve months old.
On reception, children were sent to wet nurses in the countryside, where they stayed until they were about four or five years old. At sixteen girls were generally apprenticed as servants for four years; at fourteen, boys were apprenticed into variety of occupations, typically for seven years. There was a small benevolent fund for adults.
In September 1742, the stone of the new Hospital was laid in the area known as Bloomsbury, lying north of Great Ormond Street and west of Gray's Inn Lane. The Hospital was designed by Theodore Jacobsen as a plain brick building with two wings and a chapel, built around an open courtyard. The western wing was finished in October 1745. An eastern wing was added in 1752 'in order that the girls might be kept separate from the boys'. The new Hospital was described as 'the most imposing single monument erected by eighteenth century benevolence' and became London's most popular charity.
In 1756, the House of Commons resolved that all children offered should be received, that local receiving places should be appointed all over the country, and that the funds should be publicly guaranteed. A basket was accordingly hung outside the hospital; the maximum age for admission was raised from two months to twelve, and a flood of children poured in from country workhouses. In less than four years 14,934 children were presented, and a vile trade grew up among vagrants, who sometimes became known as Coram Men, of promising to carry children from the country to the hospital, an undertaking which they often did not perform or performed with great cruelty. Of these 15,000, only 4,400 survived to be apprenticed out. The total expense was about £500,000, which alarmed the House of Commons. After throwing out a bill which proposed to raise the necessary funds by fees from a general system of parochial registration, they came to the conclusion that the indiscriminate admission should be discontinued. The hospital, being thus thrown on its own resources, adopted a system of receiving children only with considerable sums (e.g., £100), which sometimes led to the children being reclaimed by the parent.
This practice was finally stopped in 1801; and it henceforth became a fundamental rule that no money was to be received. The committee of inquiry had to be satisfied of the previous good character and present necessity of the mother, and that the father of the child had deserted both mother and child, and that the reception of the child would probably replace the mother in the course of virtue and in the way of an honest livelihood. At that time, illegitimacy carried deep stigma, especially for the mother but also for the child. All the children at the Foundling Hospital were those of unmarried women, and they were all first children of their mothers. The principle was in fact that laid down by Henry Fielding in The History of Tom Jones, a Foundling: Too true I am afraid it is that many women have become abandoned and have sunk to the last degree of vice
If you authorise our The Undeground Map Facebook app by clicking the Facebook logo at the top right of the screen, you can add stories, photos and more to this location. Note that the Undeground Map Facebook app does not post to Facebook on your behalf.
Added: 24 Jul 2017 12:20 GMT
Expires: 7 Aug 2017 12:20 GMT
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross RMT union demands inquiry into 'disastrous' job cuts on London Underground after man dies at station The RMT union is calling for an independent inquiry into "disastrous" job cuts on London Underground following the death of a passenger.
Post by LDNnews: Chancery Lane Protesters to descend on London police station for 'justice for Rash' rally after death of Rashan Charles Protesters demanding 'justice' for a 20-year-old man who died after being chased by police officers are set to demonstrate outside an east London police station.
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars Alvaro Morata can adapt quickly and fire Chelsea forward, says new team-mate Cesar Azpilicueta Cesar Azpilicueta has no doubts that Alvaro Morata will make a huge impact at Chelsea and will cope with a move to the Premier League.
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus British man Tarek Naggar fighting for life after being shot days before his wedding in Philippines A British man has been shot on a Philippine island just days before his wedding.
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross Owen Jones leads unseat Boris Johnson rally in Uxbridge and South Ruislip constituency Activist Owen Jones has led a rally aimed at unseating Boris Johnson in his west London constituency.
Post by LDNnews: Blackfriars Mail Rail: All you need to know about the abandoned underground line opening to the public this summer Londoners will be able to take a trip on the Post Office's underground rail lines for the first time ever when the new exhibition opens this summer.
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus
Victoria Hervey and Jamie O’Hara spark romance rumours
Lady Victoria Hervey, 40, and Jamie O’Hara, 30, have sparked romance rumours after they stepped out hand-in-hand during a night on the tiles in London on Friday.
Post by LDNnews: Covent Garden Tory minister Nick Gibb vows to stamp out homophobic bullying as he reveals personal battle to admit his sexuality Education minister Nick Gibb has vowed to stamp out homophobic playground bullying as he opened up about his personal battle to publicly admit his sexuality.
Post by LDNnews: Charing Cross Police have released these images of two moped riders hunted after the fatal stabbing of Danny Pearce in Greenwich
Police have released images of two moped riders being hunted after the murder of Bromley dad Danny Pearce, who was stabbed to death in a suspected Rolex robbery in Greenwich.
Post by LDNnews: Chancery Lane Tottenham vs Juventus, Chelsea vs Bayern Munich and more: Pre-season kick-off times & TV coverage Pre-season tours are fully under way for Premier League clubs as preparations for the new campaign continue across the globe.
Post by LDNnews: Piccadilly Circus Mother reveals heartbreaking final moments with five-year-old son beaten to death by stepfather A mother has revealed her heartbreak after her ex-partner was found guilty of beating her five-year-old son to death for losing his shoe.
Bloomsbury is an area of the London Borough of Camden, in central London, between Euston Road and Holborn, developed by the Russell family in the 17th and 18th centuries into a fashionable residential area.
The earliest record of what would become Bloomsbury is the 1086 Domesday Book, which records that the area had vineyards and 'wood for 100 pigs'. But it is not until 1201 that the name Bloomsbury is first noted, when William de Blemond, a Norman landowner, acquired the land.
The name Bloomsbury is a development from Blemondisberi – the bury, or manor, of Blemond. An 1878 publication, Old and New London: Volume 4, mentions the idea that the area was named after a village called Lomesbury which formerly stood where Bloomsbury Square is now, though this piece of folk etymology is now discredited.
At the end of the 14th century Edward III acquired Blemond's manor, and passed it on to the Carthusian monks of the London Charterhouse, who kept the area mostly rural.
In the 16th century, with the Dissolution of the Monasteries, Henry VIII took the land back into the possession of the Crown, and granted it to Thomas Wriothesley, 1st Earl of Southampton.
In the early 1660s, the Earl of Southampton constructed what eventually became Bloomsbury Square. The area was laid out mainly in the 18th century, largely by landowners such as Wriothesley Russell, 3rd Duke of Bedford, who built Bloomsbury Market, which opened in 1730. The major development of the squares that we see today started in about 1800 when Francis Russell, 5th Duke of Bedford removed Bedford House and developed the land to the north with Russell Square as its centrepiece.
Historically, Bloomsbury is associated with the arts, education, and medicine. The area gives its name to the Bloomsbury Group of artists, the most famous of whom was Virginia Woolf, who met in private homes in the area in the early 1900s, and to the lesser known Bloomsbury Gang of Whigs formed in 1765 by John Russell, 4th Duke of Bedford.
The publisher Faber & Faber used to be located in Queen Square, though at the time T. S. Eliot was editor the offices were in Tavistock Square. The Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood was founded in John Millais's parents' house on Gower Street in 1848.
The Bloomsbury Festival was launched in 2006 when local resident Roma Backhouse was commissioned to mark the re-opening of the Brunswick Centre, a residential and shopping area. The free festival is a celebration of the local area, partnering with galleries, libraries and museums, and achieved charitable status at the end of 2012.
LOCATIONS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Bloomsbury: Bloomsbury is an area of the London Borough of Camden, in central London, between Euston Road and Holborn, developed by the Russell family in the 17th and 18th centuries into a fashionable residential area. British Museum: Founded in 1753, the British Museum’s remarkable collection spans over two million years of human history. Horse Hospital : Built as stabling for cabby’s sick horses, The Horse Hospital is now a unique Grade II listed arts venue in Bloomsbury WC1 Royal Academy of Dramatic Art: The Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) is a drama school in London, England. It is one of the oldest drama schools in the United Kingdom, founded in 1904 by Herbert Beerbohm Tree. Russell Square: Russell Square station, now on London's Piccadully Line, was opened by the Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway on 15 December 1906. The building was designed by Leslie Green and is a Grade II listed building. University College London: University College London (UCL) is a public research university and a constituent college of the federal University of London.
NEARBY STREETS AND BUILDINGS ON THE UNDERGROUND MAP
Cruchley's New Plan of London Shewing all the new and intended improvements to the Present Time. - Cruchley's Superior Map of London, with references to upwards of 500 Streets, Squares, Public Places & C. improved to 1848: with a compendium of all Place of Public Amusements also shewing the Railways & Stations.
Cary's map provides a detailed view of London. With print date of 1 January 1818, Cary's map has 27 panels arranged in 3 rows of 9 panels, each measuring approximately 6 1/2 by 10 5/8 inches. The complete map measures 32 1/8 by 59 1/2 inches.
Digitising this map has involved aligning the panels into one contiguous map.
John Rocque (c. 1709–1762) was a surveyor, cartographer, engraver, map-seller and the son of Huguenot émigrés.
Roque is now mainly remembered for his maps of London. This map dates from the second edition produced in 1762. London and his other maps brought him an appointment as cartographer to the Prince of Wales in 1751. His widow continued the business after his death.
The map covers central London at a reduced level of detail compared with his 1745-6 map.
Engraved map. Hand coloured.
Insets: A view of the Tower from London Bridge -- A view of London from Copenhagen Fields. Includes views of facades of 25 structures "A comparison of the principal buildings of London."
Unless a source is explicitedly stated, text is available under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License;
additional terms may apply. Articles may be a remixes of various Wikipedia articles plus work by the website authors - original Wikipedia source can generally be accessed under the same name as the main title. This does not affect its Creative Commons attribution.
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps upon this website are in the public domain because they are mechanical scans of public domain originals, or – from the available evidence – are so similar to such a scan or photocopy that no copyright protection can be expected to arise. The originals themselves are in public domain for the following reason:
Public domainPublic domainfalsefalse
Maps used are in the public domain in the United States, and those countries with a copyright term of life of the author plus 100 years or less.
This tag is designed for use where there may be a need to assert that any enhancements (eg brightness, contrast, colour-matching, sharpening) are in themselves insufficiently creative to generate a new copyright. It can be used where it is unknown whether any enhancements have been made, as well as when the enhancements are clear but insufficient. For usage, see Commons:When to use the PD-scan tag.