Mowll Street, SW9
Road in/near Oval, existing between the 1830s and now
Print-friendly version of this page Oval tube station in Kennington is named after The Oval Cricket Ground, which it serves.
Mowll Street runs from Brixton Road
to Hackford Road
Mowll Street was called Chapel Street before the late 1930s.
William Rutley Mowll was the Vicar who oversaw the rebuilding of Christ Church (at the Brixton Road
end of Mowll Street) being rebuilt.
The station opened on 18 December 1890 as part of the City & South London Railway. It opened as Kennington Oval
, and was designed by Thomas Phillips Figgis with elements of early Arts and Crafts and neo-classical detailing. The structure was made distinctive by a lead-covered dome with cupola lantern and weathervane which housed some of the lift equipment; the main part of the building was of red brick. The station building was rebuilt in the early 1920s when the line was modernised and was refurbished during late 2007/early 2008 at street level with a modern tiling scheme inside and out, giving the station a more modern look. Reflecting its proximity to the cricket ground, the internal decorative tiling features large images of cricketers in various stances.