Hendon Central tube station is on the Edgware branch of the Northern Line.
Hendon Park, totalling 12 hectares, between Queens Road
(formerly Butchers Lane) and Shire Hall
Lane was created by Hendon Urban District Council in 1903.
Hendon Park was part of a medieval estate known as the Steps Fields and owned by the Goodyer family. From 1868 till 1903 it was owned by the Kemp family when Hendon Council opened the park to the public.
The park has a Holocaust Memorial Garden, which contains a pond, many plants and is enclosed by large hedges. The Childrens’ Millennium Wood planted in 2000 is a native tree and grassland area. The rest of the park is mainly informal parkland, with mown grass and mature trees, especially London plane and lime. It is a good spot for watching pipistrelle bats on a summer evening.
The landscape includes one of the largest specimens of Acer palmatum in London. Many mature trees survive from the original planting, despite damage caused by the Great Storm of 1987 during which many trees were uprooted and destroyed.
"Rout the Rumour", a large propaganda rally was held in Hendon Park on Sunday, 21 July 1940. The rally included songs, music and sketches. It was intended to promote the idea that gossip and rumour harmed the war effort. The Hendon
Park cafe was originally a bomb shelter.
Footpaths across Hendon Park, visible on satellite mapping, follow the lines of previously existing pathways.
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence
Hendon Park on a 1933 map
User unknown/public domain
Hendon Central, like all stations north from Golders Green, is a surface station (although the tracks enter twin tunnels a short distance further north on the way to Colindale). When it was built it stood in lonely glory amid fields
, as one writer puts it, south of the old village of Hendon, which has since been swallowed up by London's suburbs.
The station is a Grade II listed building, designed in a neo-Georgian style by Stanley Heaps, who also designed Brent Cross tube station in a similar style, with a prominent portico featuring a Doric colonnade.
The fact that the area was largely undeveloped allowed a hitherto unusual degree of coordination between the station and the surrounding buildings that were constructed over the next few years. The station was intended to be the centre and a key architectural feature of a new suburban town; it faces a circus 73 metres in diameter that is intersected by four approach roads which provide access to all parts of Hendon and the surrounding areas beyond. For many years this was a roundabout known as 'Central Circus
'; however it is now a crossroads controlled by traffic signals.
Writing in 1932, William Passingham commended the integrated approach taken at Hendon Central as an outstanding example of the co-ordination of road-planning with passenger station requirements.
He noted, only nine years after the station opened, that it had already become the centre of an ever-widening cluster of new houses