The road was named after Sir Hugh Myddleton who completed the New River in 1609 to bring drinking water into London. In 1858, the route was shortened, bringing the New River through what became Bowes Park
. There is a listed 19th century tunnel entrance adjacent to Myddleton Road.
The development of the present day Bowes Park
began in 1843. Bowes Manor Farm sold off part of its land to the east of Bounds Green
Road. This eventually became the Myddleton Road area.
A new railway line from Alexandra Palace station to Enfield was opened in 1871 and triggered development in the area between the railway line - Bowes Road
, Wood Green High Road
and Clarence Road
. Bowes Park
station subsequently opened in 1880.
Also in 1880, part of the Bowes Park
estate was offered up for auction to ’persons seeking rural and salubrious residences’. Apart from development along the High Road
, Lascotts Road
, Myddleton Road, Marquis Road and Parkhurst Road
were built. Encouraged by the national Liberal Land Company, development was extended to include Whittington Road
, Palmerston Road
and Sidney Road
. By 1893, the development of Bowes Park
extended to the west of the railway to include Brownlow Road
Temperance covenants prevented the building of pubs in the area and Alderman Sidney donated land at the junction of Whittington Road
and Palmerston Road
for the new parish church of St Michaels at Bowes, which was completed in 1874. A modern church replaced it in 1988.